VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A while back a friend did some back up copies of some cd's, but must have done it as seperate tracks rather than making an absolute copy of the whole cd. Thus there are gaps between all of the tracks whereas on the real cds some of the tracks run into each other. Was wondering if there was a free program which could recognise the gaps between the tracks and remove them. I realise that the gaps may have been inserted as part of the song which would make removing it impossible. but in that case I could edit out the gaps as long as I have a program which wont re-insert them when i burn it. Help with removing gaps, or failing that, burning without them would be a great help, as the gaps are really ruinning some albums!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I recently had this problem with Pink Floyds Dark Side of the Moon. Almost all their songs merge into the next but when converted to MP3 there is a very noticeable gap between them. To cure it I used a free program called MP3 Merger to make one big MP3 then imported it into Nero Wave Editor and took out the gaps between the songs. I know Nero isn't free but you might already have it. If not there is probably something out there that does the same thing.
    If it's too loud, then you're too old.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not 100% sure this is correct as I haven't burnt an audio cd for years. Using Nero, create a music cd and import all the .cda files from the cd, highlight all but the first track, right click and select properties. Change pause to 0, hit apply. Use the Nero image recorder to make an image of the cd and burn it with Nero or Imgburn.
    He's a liar and a murderer, and I say that with all due respect.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok, thanks. haven't got nero but I know people who have.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by steveryan
    I'm not 100% sure this is correct as I haven't burnt an audio cd for years. Using Nero, create a music cd and import all the .cda files from the cd, highlight all but the first track, right click and select properties. Change pause to 0, hit apply. Use the Nero image recorder to make an image of the cd and burn it with Nero or Imgburn.
    My words exactly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The problem with making it one big mp3 is that when you play the CD you cannot jump to a particular track because it is all ONE track.

The problem with separate tracks is that annoying gap when songs blend into each other. I don't have a solution.

I wonder how the music companies do it?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zappafan
    The problem with separate tracks is that annoying gap when songs blend into each other. I don't have a solution.

Basicaly the way steveryan said...
    Except i dont make an image i just burn to the cdr and i don't use the "pause 0" because it still does not blend them well,
    I set them to cross fade by 0.333333333333333 seconds and you can't even tell, sounds perfect. i have done this with many concert dvd's to get them on cd and still have seperate tracks yet without any pause or noticing any change from song to song 8)
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by zappafan

Well, for starters, they've got a lot more impressive hardware and software than most of us ... ... but burning audio CDs with no gap between tracks and still keeping track numbers so you can zip back and forth between tracks is pretty easy. You just have to use what's called "disk at once" or "DAO" burning.

If you burn "Track at once," the CD software burns one tracks, pauses, then burns the next -- and you inherently have to have a certain length pause (I believe 2 seconds minimum) in TAO mode.

In Nero, you don't need to set the pause between tracks at 0, you just tick the box that says "no silence between tracks" and that automatically turns on DAO recording. Or if you burn anything that containt CD-TEXT, that also require DAO mode so that gets turned on by default.

Buy you can have gaps using DAO mode, if you want, so it's best to make sure that the "no silence between tracks" option is checked.

If you're not using Nero, whatever other burning software you have should have DAO mode somewhere, check the properties option and dig around, you may have to enable it somehow. Some software, once you enable the DAO mode, then gives you additional check box when you're making audio CDs with that "no silence between tracks" or "remove 2 sec pause" or something like that.

Hope that helps!
    Quote Quote