VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Volume level is too high in my Windows 10 (Level 2 sounds loud). Is it possible to reduce the dB of the system in some way?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Use the system Volume Mixer (accessed via the speaker icon in the Tray). Or the volume knob on your speakers.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Check in 'Control Panel' for your system audio setup. Not 'Sounds' but a separate audio chip settings. You may be able to scale down the levels there.
    If it's a audio or video playback problem, then check your program settings there. Most video players have internal audio settings.

The netbook I am using at the moment doesn't have much in the way of audio adjustments.
    The ones in the 'Volume mixer' are the same as my regular volume control. But your system may have more adjustments there.
    Last edited by redwudz; 10th Jun 2017 at 10:38.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I tried with the volume mixer and all the audio options on the Control Panel but the problem is not solved. My speakers do not have volume control The problem is the volume of the system that is very high at low levels.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Do your speakers have more than on input? Maybe you have the computer plugged into a microphone input rather than a line level input. Or maybe a high/low switch? That would cause the sound to be too loud.
    Last edited by jagabo; 10th Jun 2017 at 19:42.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Speakers have one input. Is there any option in Windows to decrease the default decibels (= dB) of the system?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hisaishi View Post
    Speakers have one input. Is there any option in Windows to decrease the default decibels (= dB) of the system?
    Sound cards normally output analog audio at standard line levels.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line_level

Headphone levels may be higher. Make sure the sound card is set to line level output, not headphone levels. Or make sure you are using a line level output, not a headphone or speaker output.

As a last resort you can use attenuators:

https://www.amazon.com/Harrison-Labs-Line-Level-Attenuator/dp/B0006N41AG/ref=sr_1_3?ie...rca+attenuator
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Originally Posted by hisaishi View Post
    Make sure the sound card is set to line level output, not headphone levels. Or make sure you are using a line level output, not a headphone or speaker output.
    How do I do that?

[Attachment 41911 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 41912 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Show us a picture of where you have the speakers plugged into the computer.
    Quote Quote