VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i got an mp4 which says the audio is disabled. Here is the mediainfo. Can the audio be enabled?

General
    Complete name : C:\Users\sounds\film.mp4

Format : MPEG-4
    Format profile : Base Media
    Codec ID : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
    File size : 29.6 MiB
    Duration : 11 min 7 s
    Overall bit rate : 373 kb/s
    Writing application : Lavf57.11.100

Video
    ID : 1
    Format : AVC
    Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
    Format profile : Main@L1.3
    Format settings, CABAC : Yes
    Format settings, ReFrames : 3 frames
    Codec ID : avc1
    Codec ID/Info : Advanced Video Coding
    Bit rate : 243 kb/s
    Width : 320 pixels
    Height : 240 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 4:3
    Frame rate mode : Constant
    Frame rate : 25.000 FPS
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Progressive
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.126
    Stream size : 19.3 MiB (65%)

Audio
    ID : 2
    Format : AAC
    Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec
    Format profile : LC
    Codec ID : 40
    Bit rate mode : Constant
    Bit rate : 125 kb/s
    Channel(s) : 2 channels
    Channel positions : Front: L R
    Sampling rate : 48.0 kHz
    Frame rate : 46.875 FPS (1024 spf)
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Stream size : 9.98 MiB (34%)
    Default : Yes
    Alternate group : 1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try:
    ffmpeg -i "C:\Users\sounds\film.mp4" -map 0 -c copy "C:\Users\sounds\film_enabled.mp4"
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Try:
    ffmpeg -i "C:\Users\sounds\film.mp4" -map 0 -c copy "C:\Users\sounds\film_enabled.mp4"
    Thanks for the suggestion but did not work. Got the second mp4 i.e enabled but no sound
    Quote Quote  
  4. It worked on a sample I tested. You said "i got an mp4 which says the audio is disabled" but which program is showing you exactly what error message? Sample file?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    It worked on a sample I tested. You said "i got an mp4 which says the audio is disabled" but which program is showing you exactly what error message? Sample file?
    The person who gave it to me said the audio was disabled. VLC pays the video but no sound, no message just no sound.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Maybe the person meant that the audio was disabled during recording or production ? ie. it's blank audio . In that case, you can't "enable" it because it's silent audio

Check with the person
    Quote Quote  
  7. Yes, VLC respects the disabled flag. For me the command in #2 works.

Looking again at the MediaInfo log it says "Default : Yes" which I believe is MediaInfo's way of showing the disabled flag's absence in mp4 container. So there should be nothing to change. Maybe the person testing is just confusing different files. Or like poisondeathray said.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
    Yes, VLC respects the disabled flag. For me the command in #2 works.

Looking again at the MediaInfo log it says "Default : Yes" which I believe is MediaInfo's way of showing the disabled flag's absence in mp4 container. So there should be nothing to change. Maybe the person testing is just confusing different files. Or like poisondeathray said.
    Does that mean the disabled flag is absent so there should be sound?
    Quote Quote  
  9. That's what it means, yes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Extract the audio from the MP4 file as a separated audio track and examine it in an audio editor like Audacity etc. It might be a silent track...
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Maybe the person meant that the audio was disabled during recording or production ? ie. it's blank audio . In that case, you can't "enable" it because it's silent audio

Check with the person
    ^this^

You cannot "disable" a stream in a container, their are no (AFAIK) provisions for that. It would have to be done in software or hardware, but the file.. is the file.

Andrew
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by VideoGuruDude View Post
    You cannot "disable" a stream in a container, their are no (AFAIK) provisions for that.
    MP4 and MKV do have flags to disable tracks. But most players will simply ignore them. As you imply, the underlying data is still there.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks sneaker, I learned something... now I need to google the flags, its something I have yet to encounter.

Thanks!
    Andrew
    Quote Quote