VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have an old DVD. My goal is to rip the VOB files from the old dvd, create a new navigation system, then burn to a new DVD.

My issue is that when I view the VOB files on a pc, using VLC player- there are interlaced lines everywhere (changing the deinterlace settings doesnt seem to be helping but I might be doing something wrong). When I view the file on a mac with VLC player- there are no interlaced lines. The issue is that the software I am using is only available on PC. When I burn the dvd then- view it on my mac the interlaced lines are burned in permanently. Is there any work around for this? I've attached an example of a transition frame. On PC I get this half/half scene with interlaced lines everywhere. On my mac this frame doesnt exist. Any help would be amazing!
    [Attachment 57706 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is probably because the media players are deinterlacing (or not) on the fly.

The existing mpeg-2 encoded DVD (VOB) files should be transferred to the new DVD as-is
    to maintain their quality, they should not be deinterlaced
    Quote Quote  
  3. Can you cut a small sample from the DVD for upload here so we can have a look?
    Quote Quote  
  4. If I remember correctly the video in a VOB file may not be flagged as interlaced but the IFO that plays it flags it as interlaced. You might be able to use VOB2MPG to remux the VOB data to an MPG container (flagged as interlaced), then use the MPG videos to author a new DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  5. DGIndex tells you how a VOB is encoded without having access to the IFO. It's the progressive flag that's set or not set in the MPEG2 encoder that determines how it's encoded. However, as I understand it, the IFO can override that flag. To complicate things even more, some of the players get the info from the IFO, some from the VOBs. In almost all cases, though, the two are in agreement.

Do you suspect this might be one of the times the two aren't in agreement? Or maybe you're thinking the interlaced VOBs were encoded as progressive?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Jagabo
    You might be able to use VOB2MPG to remux the VOB data to an MPG container (flagged as interlaced), then use the MPG videos to author a new DVD.
    Plus 1 for this.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    DGIndex tells you how a VOB is encoded without having access to the IFO. It's the progressive flag that's set or not set in the MPEG2 encoder that determines how it's encoded. However, as I understand it, the IFO can override that flag. To complicate things even more, some of the players get the info from the IFO, some from the VOBs. In almost all cases, though, the two are in agreement.

Do you suspect this might be one of the times the two aren't in agreement?
    Yes. I don't know for certain that VOB2MPG will fix it but it's worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  8. What makes it so confusing/frustrating is that the same VOB file played in VLC will look different on a mac vs a pc. (one have lines everywhere and the other without)
    Quote Quote  
  9. VLC (and many other players) can be set to deinterlace all video:

[Attachment 57721 - Click to enlarge]

If you have that set it's not surprising it would play the video without comb artifacts.

Also, some programs may only look at the first flag to determine whether a video is interlaced or progressive. Others may look at the flags throughout the video. And if there is junk at the start of a VOB (remember, the IFO can tell the DVD player to skip over that junk) different players have different strategies to look (or not) further into the file to figure out what type of container/codecs it is.
    Quote Quote  
  10. It doesnt matter if I turn that deinterlaced setting off, auto, on. The same vob file is playing interlaced on a PC using VLC player and deinterlaced on a mac using VLC player. I want to rip the file and repurpose it in deinterlaced format. I'm ripping the vob files off an old dvd, and burning it onto a blank dvd with a new menu with DVDStyler (which only works on mac). But when the files are burnt onto the new dvd via dvdstyler the video play back is deinterlaced regardless if i play it on a mac or pc, it's just always deinterlaced. Please just let me know if any of that wasn't clear. Super frustrating, really appreciate all the help!
    Quote Quote  
  11. When I play the vob file in VLC changing deinterlace to 'on' and then trying out all the different dinterlace modes, doesnt change anything. Every 3 frames on average there is an ugly interlaced frame.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Upload a representative sample here to the thread
    Quote Quote  
  13. The vob file is automatically split up in three pieces. The small piece being 700mb, the max it says I can upload is 500mb. I dont want to export a small piece out into some other format because maybe that will change things and it wont be comparing apples to apples.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    The vob file is automatically split up in three pieces. The small piece being 700mb, the max it says I can upload is 500mb.
    Use another file storage/transfer site like mega.nz, google cloud, microsoft cloud, etc.

Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    I dont want to export a small piece out into some other format because maybe that will change things and it wont be comparing apples to apples.
    Programs like Mpg2Cut2 and DgIndex are good about cutting out samples without changing the MPEG2 video (the container may change). In any case, it's somewhere to start...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    Every 3 frames on average there is an ugly interlaced frame.
    Originally Posted by grinchmas View Post
    I dont want to export a small piece out into some other format because maybe that will change things and it wont be comparing apples to apples.
    It sounds as if it just needs an IVTC and not a deinterlace. However, to be sure a small sample is needed. Cut a VOB using DGIndex as suggested by jagabo. Open a VOB in DGIndex, use the [ and ] buttons to isolate a small section with steady movement (a panning shot is ideal) and then File->Save Project and Demux Video. Upload the resulting M2V file. It doesn't get reencoded or changed in any way. 10 seconds or so will be plenty.
    Quote Quote