VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am currently using Nero Video – part of Nero 2018. With this version and earlier versions I have burned many DVDs on some no-name blank DVD disks. They have all played fine in my stand-alone DVD player. Yesterday one disk did not play so a made another which worked. That finished up the no-name disks so I started with some Verbatim DVD+R disks. I have burned two disks that play correctly in the computer using VideoLAN. Neither will play in the DVD player connected to my TV. What might be the problem?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does the standalone player give any error message? Did you accidentally burn a PAL disc Vs. NTSC ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First thing is stop using Nero. Use Imgburn. Highly recommended here and other sites. Be sure to download from here as the last version had adware.

Edit: Using Imgburn fixes a majority of burn issues.

Also are you using Verbatim AZO? Only AZO are the "real" top quality Verbatim. Read this thread to distinguish between AZO and non-AZO: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/391272-Beware-of-new-Verbatim-non-AZO-packaging
    Last edited by lingyi; 24th Feb 2021 at 18:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Standard-issue consumer grade blank DVDs have been declining in quality for several years as demand tanked and production consolidated from multiple sources to just a few. Verbatim is a very stark example of this trend: ten years ago nearly all their blank media was self-produced and of superior quality, but today the majority of it is third-rate generic stuff outsourced from a huge OEM conglomerate. The "genuine" top-quality Verbatim has their "AZO" trademark somewhere on the packaging, the much more common Verbatim "Life" series discs are mediocre products of that conglomerate.

PCs typically have more sophisticated optical drives and more up-to-date playback software than standalone players, so they can sometimes read faulty discs that choke a standalone. There's also the possibility your standalone is aging and its drive may be failing: try playing the problem discs in another standalone owned by friends/family (if still no go, its definitely a problem with either the blank discs or the software/drive used to burn them).

Nero is popular but not always the best tool. You might try installing ImgBurn and using that to do the actual burn to disc of your AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folders. ImgBurn is the gold standard among VH-ers because it very meticulously burns video DVDs for maximum compatibility with standalones, and if you activate the verify after burn feature it usually flags potentially defective burns that should be immediately discarded. If you decide to try ImgBurn, read each install screen carefully and be sure to uncheck any bloatware additions you don't want it to install (ImgBurn by itself is a tiny utility).
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the responses. To address each of your comments: A - I don't know what I would have accidentally changed to burn the disk as PAL rather than NTSC. I've never seen that choice in the burn process. With the one failed disk of the old no-name disks a message came up on the TV screen that the player could not play that type of disk. With the Verbatim disks nothing came up on the TV and the DVD player simply said, "Stop" after it tried to read the disk. B - I will try the ImgBurn. C - The Verbatim disks are Lightscribe disks in case that makes any difference. I've had them for years. When I first got the Lightscribe capable drive I tried a couple and decided the result was not worth the effort. D - I will try the failed disks in another stand-alone player.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Verbatim Lightscribe discs should be AZO. Check the box, spindle or the disc. If there's no AZO logo, it's highly likely not AZO. You can check the media code with DVD Identifier https://www.videohelp.com/software/DVD-Identifier

For DVDs, if it's not MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical Company), it's not AZO. https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia?dvdmediasearch=verbatim&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=...+or+List+Media

You may be lucky and have Taiyo-Yuden or Ricoh Japan, but I think they've long since ceased production for Verbatim.

Also, unburned DVDs can degrade quickly if not stored correctly, Cool, constant temp, low humidity, dark. Somewhere in the recesses of my mind, I seem to recall that all Lightscribe discs regardless of manufacturer were lesser quality.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just on the off chance you did accidentally created a PAL disk, drag one of the VOB's from the DVD
    into mediainfo, put it in view/text. Under video, compare against this PAL disc info, NTSC should be 720x480
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	pal_dvd.png
Views:	17
Size:	2.2 KB
ID:	57532  

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used the "mediainfo" to get the info of my burned disk and it seems (to me) to show that it is NTSC. I also used "DVD Identifier" to get the blank disk info but I don't know what it is telling me. I am attaching the two files. I found a website with instructions for burning a DVD-video disk that is in an easier to follow format than the ImgBurn website. I hope to work on that later today.
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    DVD+R:MCC-004-000 = Verbatim AZO
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Videofish View Post
    I used the "mediainfo" to get the info of my burned disk and it seems (to me) to show that it is NTSC. I also used "DVD Identifier" to get the blank disk info but I don't know what it is telling me. I am attaching the two files. I found a website with instructions for burning a DVD-video disk that is in an easier to follow format than the ImgBurn website. I hope to work on that later today.
    That's the DVD menu, only 23 seconds. Did you also check the actual movie titles (VTS_01_1.VOB, VTS_02_1.VOB, etc,etc) -
    just to make sure
    Quote Quote