VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking for posts that would help a beginner learn to deal with video conversion using C#. Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Why are you trying to reinvent the wheel? There are already plenty of good video conversion apps out there (here).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alsuse
    Looking for posts that would help a beginner learn to deal with video conversion using C#. Any help would be appreciated.
    what?!? am i correct in assuming that you wish to learn how to code a video conversion application, using C# no less, and you hope to learn how to do this by reading posts on a forum?!?

there's no way that this is a serious inquiry.

no matter what, it is funny as hell. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Not to mention that C# is evil.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's more of a learning type deal. It's not that I need an app to convert (i got plenty). I just want the know-how. Just wondering how to get started. I have OOP training and a good handle on programming languages. Just looking for pointers. I just figured this may have been visited before on the forum, so there may have been some useful posts somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Get a copy of the source code of Virtualdub. See how it's built.
    So what it's not in C#, programming constructs and principles still apply.

Tell you what, if you still want to do some video programming, I've got just the job (though currently non-paying) for you...PM me if you're interested.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Best place to start is with one of many code dev websites ... plenty of them with code resources available

codeproject ... click the C# on the bar running across the screen at the top and then chose interest type
    programmingtutorials
    cprogramming
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alsuse
    It's more of a learning type deal. It's not that I need an app to convert (i got plenty). I just want the know-how. Just wondering how to get started. I have OOP training and a good handle on programming languages. Just looking for pointers. I just figured this may have been visited before on the forum, so there may have been some useful posts somewhere.
    ok, if you have a programming background, start by learning as much as you can about compression algorithms in general, don't worry about video compression right off the bat. learn about lossless compression, learn about various math concepts, like pascal's triangle, learn about matrices and matrix multiplication.

forget about object oriented programing, you don't need objects, classes, polymorphism, inheritance, stick with pascal or c/c++, learn how to write functions, stucts, unions, bit manipulation.

the reason i "laughed" was because video compression is one of the hardest programming tasks you can undertake, it generally takes a b.s. in comp sci level of programming knowledge to code a video compression app and even then, just looking at all the crappy apps out there, it's no easy task.

download every open source encoder you can get your hands on, ffmpeg, mencoder, x264, xvid, and if you have a solid knowledge of C you might be able to figure out what it going on.

if however you have a background primarily in oop, using languages like java and c# you're in for a rough ride.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    funny, i just started doing the exact same thing! wanting to build from scratch. the biggest challenge is going to be i think understanding the math behind the compression techniques. i already downloaded some open source projects and started sifting through the code. i also started with the basics, before i even stumbled on this thread (another poster suggested this exact thing). the most basic you can get is a straight forward uncompressed bitmap image. it took me about a day to make a really basic bitmap viewer in c#, not using c#'s built in classes to display the image, but basically reading the data from the file anddrawing pixel by pixel. try that. it seems like a great 1st step. as far as video compression, i think very few people truly understand how it works at the lowest levels. from reviewing the open source code out there, there is a lot of copying of code between them at the low level. which of course is common practice in the software development world, you dont want to reinvent the wheel, unless of course you want to understand how the wheel works at the most basic level . i say if u want to build an encoder, use c++ for the actual encoding work, and build the interface in c#. thats the direction im taking for the moment. im still in a research phase. being laid off and out of work, need something to keep my skills sharp, and myself challenged, plus learn some new technologies.
    Quote Quote