VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. It's possible the answer to the question (in bold) below is "no", but...

I had a video (25 FPS, see below) that was 1h13m while the video was 1h7m. Converting the audio to wav and stretching it did the trick. Somehow the audio had become sped up and there was no way to go back to the source and get a new copy. It's this xvid/avi file or nothing.

Now this adds a few conversion steps to the process so I was wondering: Would there have been a way to do this without re-encoding the audio?

File Name .........................................: TdL (1947).avi
    File Size (in bytes) ............................: 1,563,989,018 bytes
    Runtime ............................................: 1:13:45

Video Codec ...................................: XviD ISO MPEG-4
    Frame Size ......................................: 720x576 (AR: 1.333)
    FPS .................................................: 25.000
    Video Bitrate ...................................: 2441 kb/s
    Bits per Pixel ...................................: 0.235 bpp
    B-VOP, N-VOP, QPel, GMC.............: [B-VOP], [], [], []

Audio Codec ...................................: 0x2000 (Dolby AC3) AC3
    Sample Rate ...................................: 48000 Hz
    Audio Bitrate ...................................: 384 kb/s [2 channel(s)] CBR
    No. of audio streams .......................: 1
    This is nøt å signåture.™
    Quote Quote  
  2. Change the frame rate of the video with a program like AviFrate.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Change the frame rate of the video with a program like AviFrate.
    Yeah, I tried that, and it worked, but then I have a video with a 27.something frame rate. So that would mean sound AND picture are going faster than they should.
    Quote Quote  
  4. For playback, you can use the audio "stretch by" option in MKVToolNix if you re-wrap in an mkv container. But the quality usually isn't the best since it's done on the fly in realtime, you can get crackles
    Quote Quote  
  5. Some containers, like MVK, let you specify a stretch/shrink factor for the audio. Unfortunately, not all players will obey the flag.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    For playback, you can use the audio "stretch by" option in MKVToolNix if you re-wrap in an mkv container. But the quality usually isn't the best since it's done on the fly in realtime, you can get crackles
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Some containers, like MVK, let you specify a stretch/shrink factor for the audio. Unfortunately, not all players will obey the flag.
    So you're both saying that that is not the best solution, right?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    So you're both saying that that is not the best solution, right?
    Yes. Re-encoding is better because it's compatible everywhere, yields higher quality results
    Quote Quote  
  8. It's either re-encode the audio or change the frame rate. Try opening the AVI with VirtualDub. It has an option to change the frame rate to match the audio duration. That may do the trick, or you may need to adjust it manually until it's right. Once you're done, save it as a new AVI after selecting "direct stream copy" as the video compression method under the Video menu (no re-encoding). The audio should default to direct stream copy.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It's either re-encode the audio or change the frame rate. Try opening the AVI with VirtualDub. It has an option to change the frame rate to match the audio duration. That may do the trick, or you may need to adjust it manually until it's right. Once you're done, save it as a new AVI after selecting "direct stream copy" as the video compression method under the Video menu (no re-encoding). The audio should default to direct stream copy.
    This was suggested before, and what I wanted to know was if I could somehow do the opposite, because a 27.something frame rate just seems wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  10. +1 for MKVToolNix. You can add a delay to it to bring it back into sync and it just puts it back into another .mkv container.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Spiny Norman View Post
    Originally Posted by hello_hello View Post
    It's either re-encode the audio or change the frame rate. Try opening the AVI with VirtualDub. It has an option to change the frame rate to match the audio duration. That may do the trick, or you may need to adjust it manually until it's right. Once you're done, save it as a new AVI after selecting "direct stream copy" as the video compression method under the Video menu (no re-encoding). The audio should default to direct stream copy.
    This was suggested before, and what I wanted to know was if I could somehow do the opposite, because a 27.something frame rate just seems wrong.
    Sorry. I must have missed that post.
    I'd be re-encoding the audio. Yes, you can stretch it with MKVMergeGUI if you don't mind remuxing it as an MKV but it tends to make decoding it properly (no pops or crackles) a bit hit and miss if it's stretched by anything other than a very small amount. Better to stretch it while re-encoding, even if in theory there is some quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Thanks for the input. Seems to be just as I feared. Well, there is some re-encoding that shouldn't have been necessary, but the damage is minimal.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!