VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently purchased a new hp laptop a dv6, it has 6gb of ram (5.48 of usable ram) and an AMD A8-3520M APU WITH RADEON 1.60 GHZ Processor.

I am trying to use sony vegas, have a whole bunch of videos I shot on my nikon d70 that i would like to edit..
    On my old lenovo laptop I never had any problems with sony vegas, but on this one it seems like ALL I have are problems..
    First, the preview screen always starts whatever video I import into it with a dark green screen, then the video goes back to normal but it looks like its kind of in slow motion. I have tried multiple settings to try render just 10-15 sec previews to see how they would come out and they have all rendered but when I go to view them the video freezes, or skips around but the audio plays fine...

I really dont understand how on my cheap $300 lenovo laptop sony vegas worked flawlessly but on my $500 hp sony vegas is nothing but problems
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a Qosmio i7 and Vegas screams fast.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Check to see if you have updates and recent official drivers installed
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    Check to see if you have updates and recent official drivers installed
    Good Call!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Are you sure it's a Nikon D70? Apparently they don't take video

Other Nikons record mjpeg or h264 in MOV, so you might need quicktime installed as well if you are recording MOV
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm.....it appears, the OP just wanted to cast expersions on a particular piece of software. Maybe one of those Uber Apple Lunatic-Fanatic Fanboi's.

My fangs are salivating now to dig into one-a-dem clowns.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Hmmm.....it appears, the OP just wanted to cast expersions on a particular piece of software.
    Yeah, umm nobody does that around here
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are you sure it's a Nikon D70? Apparently they don't take video

Other Nikons record mjpeg or h264 in MOV, so you might need quicktime installed as well if you are recording MOV
    hehe, gotta love it. i don't recall any dslr taking video from that vintage ~ 8 years ago.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm thinking d70 was a typo

Nice chart LOL - "zero value?" WTF does that mean ? How can an i7-2670QM be "zero value"

They probably had problems running the benchmark suite

EDIT: damn aedipuss you did a ninja edit and I didn't quote your post
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A $300 computer CAN cost $500 when you buy an HP.

I met a guy yesterday that told me he bought his camera last year, but somehow it has a 2 inch LCD.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    A $300 computer CAN cost $500 when you buy an HP.

But you can make the same point about a certain company with large margins named after a certain fruit
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm gonna take the high ground as a tribute to the excellent staff here at VH DotCom.

Buncha BS!

This owl is supposed to move, but I think it's stuck. How do you reset those?
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Jun 2012 at 20:48.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    I'm gonna take the high ground as a tribute to the excellent staff here at VH DotCom.

Buncha BS!

This owl is supposed to move, but I think it's stuck. How do you reset those?

save it as an animated .gif , jpeg's contain no animation
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, but... Oops, that wasn't a gif.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking d70 was a typo

Nice chart LOL - "zero value?" WTF does that mean ? How can an i7-2670QM be "zero value"

They probably had problems running the benchmark suite

EDIT: damn aedipuss you did a ninja edit and I didn't quote your post
    yeh, it was some weird ass chart and i posted it without fully reading the rest of the page. was just looking for intel vs. amd ammo for a little fun.

never heard anyone claim a $500 retail laptop was high powered before... not that i'd even try editing with one like that using vegas. i have enough problems with a i7 desktop with 16GB ram a real video card and 7 hard drives with 8TB storage.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes too much horsepower has a slowing effect. Like when Sony bling eats up half the ram from jump, before Vegas even gets cranked up.

I guess computers are supposed to be friendly now. So you need a half gig just to see the animated SOS messages that are really marketing ploys.

HP has a "magic canvas" mode, and if you make the mistake of activating it, you'll be transported to about a fourth grade level interface.
    Last edited by budwzr; 11th Jun 2012 at 22:37.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by budwzr View Post
    Sometimes too much horsepower has a slowing effect. Like when Sony bling eats up half the ram from jump, before Vegas even gets cranked up.

I guess computers are supposed to be friendly now. So you need a half gig just to see the animated SOS messages that are really marketing ploys.

HP has a "magic canvas" mode, and if you make the mistake of activating it, you'll be transported to about a fourth grade level interface.

You can never have too much hardware "horsepower"

You 're talking about software bloat, that's different. Adobe is really bad for that too

Also the "packaged" computers like Dell, HP usually come with lots of bloatware with useless junk installed

(And your "owl" looks like a cheap "O'RLY" owl)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just a note.. I am NOT AN APPLE FAN BOI! I got a droid 3 as a phone, and a windows computer.. yes I got an ipod but thats as far as my apple attention goes.. I will try the drivers updates.. hopefully that works.. and I was able to edit with sony vegas just fine on my $300 lenovo..I thought it would be even better on my $500 hp, but apparently not
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The thing is, to actually NOTICE any speed increase you have to go from $300 to $1300, not $500.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I've tried updating all my drivers, everything seems to be up to date.. but I still have the same issues with vegas.. and whenever I render the videos, no matter what format I render it to, they always come out with the sound playing fine but the video freezing and extremely choppy.. any more ideas about what I can do? I am dying to edit this video but I cant edit a thing because not only is the playback quality extremely choppy (no matter what preview setting I put it to, but the effort I would put into editing it would be wasted because the final rendered video always freezes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What are the specs on the source video?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Maybe it's a slow cpu issue? (ie playback issue) . Try rendering out to a SD format - if the exported video plays fine, then that's your answer

If that's true, you won't be able to edit smoothly unless you upgrade or encode to an easier editing digital intermediate, or use a proxy workflow
    Quote Quote  
  23. It says:
    frame width: 1920
    frame height: 1080
    data rate: 20373kbps
    total bitrate: 21932kbps
    frame rate: 23 frames/second

AUDIO
    bitrate:1558 kbps
    channels: 2 (stereo)
    audio sample rate: 48 kHz

ITEM TYPE: QUICKTIME MOVIE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Looks pretty standard.
    Quote Quote  
  25. After messing around with this for the past 2 days I have realized something... The .mov files that I would like to edit in sony vegas play fine in windows media player as well as vlc media player but when I play them in quicktime they looke very choppy.. Just like they would in sony vegas.. could this be a quicktime or .mov problem? I dont know what to do about it
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Update your QT player. Vegas relies on it for playback too. That must be i-Phone/Pad video.

Remember! Apple doesn't play nice! They use "compatibility" as a tool to make people frustrated so they just give up and buy the Apple version of whatever.

Thank goodness they don't have an "Apple camera".
    Last edited by budwzr; 13th Jun 2012 at 16:03.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I did.. still plays choppy video.. I used movie inspector and it says:

format: H.264, 960 X 540, Millions 16-bit Integer (Little Endian), Stereo 48.000khz

I have no idea what it means but I have read that vegas doesnt play nice with H.264 do I need some codecs or something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think that's X.264, so just install that, or you might as well just do a standard install of K-Lite and kill future birds too.

Is that a GoPro video?

Vegas doesn't favor any codec over others. If it's installed, Vegas will treat it like any other type. That's one of the benefits of Vegas.

However, hardware does play the key role in video production. H.264 is the universal codec of tomorrow, and most of today's hardware can't run it smoothly, yet.

If you're still saying a $300 computer was playing that back, then .... hmmmmm.
    Last edited by budwzr; 13th Jun 2012 at 18:22.
    Quote Quote