VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I've captured some .TS files using the Hauppauge 1512 onto thumb drive in the side of laptop.

I use VideoRedoTVSuite V5 to edit out commercials on PC desktop and save it as .TS file with no recoding necessary.

I'd like compress down the size of the files ranging from 9gb to 15gb to around 4gb at 2500 kb two pass encode.

I think Handbrakes encoding is just a little better than VideoRedo but it's having trouble saving to mp4 format starting with the TS info txt file I no longer have. VideoRedo has no problem saving the .TS file to MP4 but as i said I think Handbrakes just a little better.

Thank you for any help

[16:17:26] bd: not a bd - trying as a stream/file instead
    libdvdread: DVDOpenFileUDF:UDFFindFile /VIDEO_TS/VIDEO_TS.IFO failed
    libdvdnav: vm: vm: failed to read VIDEO_TS.IFO
    [16:17:26] dvd: not a dvd - trying as a stream/file instead
    [16:17:26] file is MPEG Transport Stream with 188 byte packets offset 0 bytes
    [16:17:26] Found the following PIDS
    [16:17:26] Video PIDS :
    [16:17:26] 0x1011 type H.264 (0x1b) (PCR)
    [16:17:26] Audio PIDS :
    [16:17:26] 0x1100 type AC3 (0x81)
    [16:17:26] Subtitle PIDS :
    [16:17:26] Other PIDS :
    [16:17:26] stream id 0x1100 (type 0x81 substream 0x0) audio 0x1100
    [16:17:28] scan: decoding previews for title 1
    [16:17:28] file is MPEG Transport Stream with 188 byte packets offset 0 bytes
    [16:17:28] scan: audio 0x1100: ac3, rate=48000Hz, bitrate=384000 English (AC3) (5.1 ch) (384 kbps)
    [16:17:29] stream: 51 good frames, 0 errors (0%)
    [16:17:29] scan: 10 previews, 1920x1080, 29.970 fps, autocrop = 0/2/0/0, aspect 16:9, PAR 1:1, color profile: 1-1-1
    [16:17:29] scan: supported video decoders: avcodec qsv
    [16:17:29] Title is likely interlaced or telecined (5 out of 10 previews). You should do something about that.
    [16:17:29] libhb: scan thread found 1 valid title(s)

# Processing Scan Information ...

# Scan Finished ...

[16:17:30] decomb: deinterlaced 1 | blended 0 | unfiltered 0 | total 1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you have a question ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by tom z View Post
    I've captured some .TS files using the Hauppauge 1512 onto thumb drive in the side of laptop.

I use VideoRedoTVSuite V5 to edit out commercials on PC desktop and save it as .TS file with no recoding necessary.
    This is your mistake. Don't use VideoRedoTVSuite to edit out commercials as a primary operation.

Re-encode the raw .ts in ffmpeg (or Handbrake if you must) first to an mp4 and edit the commercials out afterwards in Avidemux cutting only on I-Frames.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Originally Posted by tom z View Post
    I've captured some .TS files using the Hauppauge 1512 onto thumb drive in the side of laptop.

This is your mistake. Don't use VideoRedoTVSuite to edit out commercials as a primary operation.

Re-encode the raw .ts in ffmpeg (or Handbrake if you must) first to an mp4 and edit the commercials out afterwards in Avidemux cutting only on I-Frames.

Hi @codehound. I've used VideoRedo for years and have been bought the upgrades since version 3. I've loved the accuracy of their editing ability. It's only simple cutting out scenes that I normally do. Linear editing is a whole other deal.

The saved master edits are in .TS but in huge gigs. The media player sometimes will take a long time to move to where you mouse the play bar. VideoRedo's re-coded smaller mp4 has no problem at all going to anywhere in the timeline.

I've used handbrake before but never with TS files. I'm new to this.

Thank you for your help. I'll give the recommended software you mentioned a look and a study.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use VideoReDo TV Suite 6 to remove commercials. I edited TS files for the most part, because my TV tuner cards deliver a transport stream and so did the Hauppauge Colossus when I used to use it to record from my cable box. I think I sometimes needed to use VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix on some of the recordings made by the Hauppauge Colossus.

I don't re-encode to reduce the file size of my recordings, but I have used Handbrake once in a while to re-encode DVD video. If you use Handbrake to re-encode either before editing or after editing, you should set it up to use a constant frame rate for output. Handbrake uses variable frame-rate by default.

I suggest that you keep using VideoReDo to fix the stream and remove commercials because VideoReDo allows cutting on any frame, and only re-encoding GOPs adjacent to the cut points when re-encoding is necessary, leaving the majority of the video and audio untouched. Avidemux doesn't do that kind of frame-accurate editing and doesn't have anything like VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix feature.
    Ignore list: hello_hello, tried, TechLord, Snoopy329
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    I use VideoReDo TV Suite 6 to remove commercials. I edited TS files for the most part, because my TV tuner cards deliver a transport stream and so did the Hauppauge Colossus when I used to use it to record from my cable box. I think I sometimes needed to use VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix on some of the recordings made by the Hauppauge Colossus.

I don't re-encode to reduce the file size of my recordings, but I have used Handbrake once in a while to re-encode DVD video. If you use Handbrake to re-encode either before editing or after editing, you should set it up to use a constant frame rate for output. Handbrake uses variable frame-rate by default.

I suggest that you keep using VideoReDo to fix the stream and remove commercials because VideoReDo allows cutting on any frame, and only re-encoding GOPs adjacent to the cut points when re-encoding is necessary, leaving the majority of the video and audio untouched. Avidemux doesn't do that kind of frame-accurate editing and doesn't have anything like VideoReDo's Quick Stream Fix feature.

Agreed. The cutting on the i-frames brought me back to when we'd edit on Panasonic and Pioneer DVD recorders. There's a pause at this area in the video unless it was during a fade to black area of cutting out commercials. The good old days lol.

I've share notes in my other thread about the Hauppauge 1512 option to capture in mp4 vs TS. I've been unable to get captures in the former so I let it do what it's comfortable with which is the .TS format. I've waited a long time to capture high def with native 5.1 audio.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Use Avidemux, it can cut all type of mpeg frame systems.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Originally Posted by tom z View Post

I've been using the Hauppauge 1512 to capture TS files for years now, I use VideoRedo Version 4 to do any editing and generally leave the files in TS format.
    Workflow- capture file, run TS-Doctor, edit file with VRD V4.
    I have VideoRedo updates to Version 5 & 6 and find that the newer versions give lots of errors when saving the TS file. This seems to cause some stuttering with playback.
    Is this what you are talking about? I never found any discussions about this and never bothered to ask on the VideoRedo forums. I just use Version 4 for TS files.
    The newer versions seem to work fine with mp4 files. Is there some setup parameter that fixes the TS problem or is it FUBARed in the new versions?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by JoeS99 View Post
    I've been using the Hauppauge 1512 to capture TS files for years now, I use VideoRedo Version 4 to do any editing and generally leave the files in TS format.
    Workflow- capture file, run TS-Doctor, edit file with VRD V4.
    I have VideoRedo updates to Version 5 & 6 and find that the newer versions give lots of errors when saving the TS file. This seems to cause some stuttering with playback.
    Is this what you are talking about? I never found any discussions about this and never bothered to ask on the VideoRedo forums. I just use Version 4 for TS files.
    The newer versions seem to work fine with mp4 files. Is there some setup parameter that fixes the TS problem or is it FUBARed in the new versions?

Was reading some threads from 2016 here about the 1512. The problems described from back then have been fixed because I'm capturing 4 or 5 hours with 5.1 audio and the flies are perfect in TS. They play back flawlessly when using my Samsung's USB and on desktop. It's the edited files with commercials removed where there's playback issues of taking too long FF or Rewinding. If it's re-encoded down using 2 pass at 2500-3k it's almost perfect. I think handbrake's quality encodes are a tad better but I can't use handbrake it needs the IFO files Hauppauge puts in the capture folder location.

I'll try the TS-Doctor on future captures. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by tom z View Post
    I'd like compress down the size of the files ranging from 9gb to 15gb to around 4gb at 2500 kb two pass encode.
    I've been doing just that for a long time.
    You're doing it just right. With Videoredo you cut out the commercials frame accurate. Then save again as TS.
    Then load this TS file into clever FFmpeg-GUI, click main, click Convert Video Stream, if you don't want to crop or resize, click continue, choose encoder settings like on the picture, leave everything else as it is, click convert. There is no need to do an two pass encode.

[Attachment 62057 - Click to enlarge]

When it's done, click multiplex, the newly created video track is displayed in green, all tracks except the old video track are already selected, select the container (mkv, mp4), click multiplex.

[Attachment 62058 - Click to enlarge]

Done.
    Quote Quote