VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hello

I'm trying to encode old tv-series dvd that are interlaced to progressive (23,976 fps). I've tried many guide, handbrake settings etc. without any success. Each time the motion aren't smooth as the dvd themselves specially in the high motion action scene.

Could someone point me a guide or few tips on how to achieve this goal?

Thanks

kalemvar
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Welcome.

What does "interlaced to progressive (23,976 fps)" mean? If you're referring to NTSC DVD or standard definition BluRay, they are produced at 29.97fps -- either interlaced 29.97 or progressive with 3:2 pulldown (telecine) for 29.97 playback. Are you saying the DVD's have had pulldown removed and now play at 23.976 progressive? If so, you encode them adding 3:2 pulldown to get 29.97fps.

Many TV shows both old and new started as film (23.976), then telecined (29.97) for broadcast and DVD.

Your profile has no location or PC system info, so I'm assuming NTSC. PAL would be a different story.

Why are you processing the DVDs in handbrake? Do they have problems?
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. If your TV series was shot as film (3 progressive/2 interlaced in every 5-frame cycle) then it can be IVTC'd and Handbrake should be able to do it properly, although I wouldn't use Handbrake for that or anything else.

If your TV series was shot using video cameras (every frame interlaced) then you can deinterlace it but it should be kept as 29.97fps. Trying to make it 23.976fps will mean removing unique frames and it'll play very jerky.

If you don't know how to determine these things or if what LMotlow and I wrote reads as gibberish to you, then please make available a short 10-second sample from the DVD, a sample with steady movement.
    Quote Quote