VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

I wonder if anybody can help me out with an issue using an HDMI splitter.
    I connected the HDMI output of my Dune 3D mediaplayer to the input of an Aten VS182A (2-port-out) HDMI splitter. One output goes to an HDMI input of a Pioneer VSX-919AH AV receiver. The other output goes to an HDMI input of a 3D compatible Panasonic plasma television.

I do this because the Pioneer receiver doesn't support 3D video throughput. Now, playing a movie in this setup results in no audio at all from the Pioneer in case of DTS-MA and TrueHD sources.
    When source is dts or AC3 it results in stereo audio only.

As for video, 2D output is ok. When playing 3D (BD-iso) there's no video output at all. Of course this wouldn't be a problem, because with 3D I choose splitter input on the Panny tv and video is in 3D.

Why I mention this, is because when playing 3D video directly connected to the Pioneer receiver (so no splitter in-between) it will passthrough 2D video and there are no audio-issues. Just to be complete I also tried hooking up my 3D BD-player in the same setup with exactly the same results on the receiver.

I've spend hours trying all settings in the menu's, switching cables, even cable-directions and all available inputs of receiver and tv and even switched output 1 en 2 of the splitter itself. But for the life of me, I can't get it to work.
    I tested all HDMI cables separately between the Dune, tv and receiver. 3D and all audio works perfectly.

Anybody knows a solution to this or know why this is happening? I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks in advance,
    Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    This is all expected behaviour, except perhaps the Dune outputting the 3D signal to the receiver that can't handle it.

What you need is a device that allows you to control the EDID so that you can avoid the normal "lowest common denominator" sequence.

http://aldoussystems.blogspot.ca/2010/07/why-edid-management-in-hdmi-is-so.html?m=1
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you remove the HDMI cable connecting the splitter to the receiver, and use the splitter connected to the TV alone, does 3D work? If you remove the HDMI cable connecting the splitter to the TV, and use the splitter connected to the receiver alone, do DTS-MA and TrueHD play correctly?

[Edit] Never mind. vaporeon800 and I were headed in the same direction. I just wanted to make sure this problem was the result of the splitter forcing the lowest common denominator among destination devices.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th Jul 2016 at 10:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for your replies, guys. After reading the link about EDID (this is new to me) and "handshake protocols", if I may call them so, I'm wondering about the "lowest common denominator" in my case.

Troughputting 3D video and downmixing to 2-channel audio (when possible), it seems to me that the splitter "honours" the capabilities of the Panasonic tv. Now, this model supports 3D whereas the Pioneer receiver does not. Common sense would tell me then that the HDMI standard/version of the receiver is lower than that of the tv and therefore the splitter should see the receiver as "lowest common denominator". (Am I thinking straight, here?)

Thinking of a device that can control/edit/force source EDID data, what settings should it have on outputs if I want to throughput 3D video to the tv and just output bitstream (HD)audio to the receiver... I can imagine problems happening since none of the two "recipients" can handle both properly.

Maybe it's an easier and cheaper solution to look for a (if need be second-hand) model AV receiver that A: throughputs 3D video and/or B: accepts ARC on it's output (my Panny has ARC). This set-up is secondary and it doesn't have to be meet high standards.

@ usually_quiet: I will nevertheless try what you said about testing with one splitters's output.
    I'm just curious since EDID is new to me and want to find out how the Aten splitter behaves anyhow.

Cheers for now guys,
    Ennio
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I don't know much about 3D. I would suggest searching on a forum that is focused on home theater components, and then asking there as well if you can't find an answer. AVS Forum has a subforum dedicated to HDMI. This thread seems similar to your issue and I'm sure there are others.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Again, thanks for the link; I go read.
    Quote Quote