VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Vidcoder/Handbrake encodes too dark/washed out? Is there a fixed to this?

The left is the preview encode from vidcoder. The right is the image from my DVD VOB file playing in VLC media player. I've already reset the settings in VLC back to default and the following is what I get. I've read about this issue somewhere on the internet before about handbrake but I never came across a reasoning as to why or how to go about fixing this.

Any solution?

EDIT: Re-tested again, and I'll probably have to do an A B side by side comparison when the actual encode finishes (haven't started). But I think Vidcoder's own preview screen is causing the colors to look washed out. When I used "open in system player" option to play the same preview in VLC media player, the colors looks vibrant just like the original VOB source.

I'll try to update this thread with the same screen capture when I get around to encoding my beauty and the beast DVD.

Last edited by strawberryshortcake; 14th Feb 2018 at 03:11.
    Quote Quote  
  2. YUV full range vs limited range issue. If you're upscaling you should convert to rec.709 colors and flag it as such.
    Quote Quote  
  3. It'll be a playback issue. Even if it looks washed out in the preview it won't effect how it's encoded.

I'm not sure if Vidcoder's preview would be effected by the video card settings, but have a look for a video setting such as "full range" or "limited range" and make sure it's set to full range. Something like this:
    http://avisynth.nl/images/Nvidia_control_panel.jpg
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had this when I was using a beta version of Handbrake.
    Quote Quote