VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The way I solve subtitles problems is to experiment. I used Handbrake to convert a German language VOB file version of Klaus Kinski's Nosferatu 1979, then once converted, simply added a set of *.srt subtitles file to that single file and the subs worked worked perfectly. That's possibly a workaround purists won't like.

Right this moment, I'm experimenting with adding downloaded *.srt files to each of the three VOB files in my off the shelf copy of Company of Wolves 1984. The experiment works on the first *.vob file perfectly. But I haven't tried putting one under EACH FILE YET, fearing that if I do, the VOB files might not automatically move to the next *.vob file, which uses the same complete film *.srt file, a move, unfettered VOBs do automatically without a *.srt file between them. Anybody tried this? I'm about to try it now. You don't normally have to waste a DVD to do it. Just do it in your browser first, with the *.srt inserted just below each VOB.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by idatarbell View Post
    That's possibly a workaround purists won't like.
    It has nothing to do with purists. Using Handbrake requires reencoding and degrading the original DVD quality. It's a complete waste of time and totally unnecessary since it's easy enough to add subs to a DVD.
    Anybody tried this?
    Of course not. It won't work and adding subs to a DVD is already a well known process.

If you don't mind removing the menus and extras, you can convert the VOBs to a single MPG of the movie using VOB2MPEG or some such, and play the result with your ugly SRT subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you are just after the main movie and add your own subtitles without losing any quality, use MakeMKV to wrap a MKV container around the original DVD. Then when you have the MKV file run it through MKVToolNix and add in your sub and then start multiplexing.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote