VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was using a Samsung SCL810 to digitize some Video 8 tapes. Everything was working fine until one night I left the camera on in playback mode (no tape loaded). Now it seems like everything works mechanically, but I am not getting any picture or sound, just snow. I have tried playing back multiple tapes, including ones that worked before.

Can the heads just suddenly be too dirty without any prior signs of trouble? Or did I burn something out by accidentally leaving the camera on overnight? Unplugging the camera for several hours doesn't change anything. I tried cleaning out the chamber with compressed air. I've ordered some 99.9% isopropyl alchohol for cleaning with chamois swabs, but in the meantime is there some other issue I can check? Thank you.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Does the camcorder display anything on TV without tape? like menu settings, OSD, input feed if it has inputs...etc
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, the menu and timer display just fine in the viewfinder, the lcd screen and on the laptop. The only issue is that no video or audio will play, the tape mechanism works but only plays snow.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Just clean the heads, possible condensation with some dirt.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Cleaned the heads with chamois swab and 99.9% isopropyl alchohol, no luck.

My guess is either the drum is not turning or the data path between the player/camera and the output circuit is broken (bad capacitors?). Don't know if it matters, but in camera mode there's no picture either. Maybe when I left the camcorder switched on overnight, it generated enough heat to fry an aged capacitor.

Either way, at this point the camcorder is junk, right?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ml72 View Post
    Cleaned the heads with chamois swab and 99.9% isopropyl alchohol, no luck.

My guess is either the drum is not turning or the data path between the player/camera and the output circuit is broken (bad capacitors?). Don't know if it matters, but in camera mode there's no picture either. Maybe when I left the camcorder switched on overnight, it generated enough heat to fry an aged capacitor.

Either way, at this point the camcorder is junk, right?
    when you unplugged the camera, did you remove the batteries ??
    Quote Quote