VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

How can I stream video onto the a webpage? What formats are used? Is it just ".mov" and ".wmv"?

How can I stream live video onto the internet? What are the requirements for the pc handling the capturing and publishing of the video?

Sorry for all the questions. I am just very interested
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Video capture device -> VLC or WME -> Web
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    so VLC allows me to stream video live as well as encode the video into an effective format. So is mov and wmv good formats to use?

thanks for the advice
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by wan2no
    so VLC allows me to stream video live as well as encode the video into an effective format. So is mov and wmv good formats to use?
    Depends on your target audience. If primarily Windows users use WMV, if Mac use MOV.

Some guides:

https://forum.videohelp.com/topic259354.html
    http://anchorite.org/blog/2007/01/25/live-windows-media-streaming-mini-howto/
    https://www.videohelp.com/guides?searchtext=streaming+video&tools=&madeby=&formatconver...s=25&archive=0
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    last question. when i convert a 720 x 480 to a 320 x 280 i think it is , does it preserve the frames or is it distorted? does it depend on format? like how they say jpeg is a lossless pictorial format is there a format for video similar to this?
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Resizing always means reencoding, and reencoding (almost) always means quality loss. jpg is not a lossless format - far from!
    Most video formats are compressed - huffyuv and a few others the exception. But be prepared for huge file sizes, if you want a lossless format.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by wan2no
    last question. when i convert a 720 x 480 to a 320 x 280 i think it is , does it preserve the frames or is it distorted?
    Most streaming video assumes square pixels. So if you have a 720x480 4:3 display aspect ratio (DAR) source (DV camcorder?) and you resize to 320x240 it will have the correct aspect ratio when displayed by a player that assumes square pixles. If your source is 16:9 DAR it should be resized to 320x180. Sites like youtube.com would shrink it to 320x180 then add black letterbox bars to the top and bottom to create a 320x240 frame.

Any time you resize digital video you lose some picture quality. Any time you downsize digital video you lose picture information. And streaming video is usually done with very high compression codecs which throw away lots of details in order to get that high compression. High compression codecs, WMV for example, sometimes throw away entire frames in order to meet bitrate requirements.

Originally Posted by wan2no
    like how they say jpeg is a lossless pictorial format is there a format for video similar to this?
    JPEG is not a lossless format. Lossless video compression codecs (like huffyuv and lagarith) don't get much compression with most sources. A 320x240 30 fps video streamed as uncompressed RGB would require about 7 megabytes per second, 56 megabits per second. Lossless codecs might get that down to 1/2 to 1/3 that rate but I don't know of anyone using these for streaming. Places like youtube.com typically use bitrates around 0.2 megabits per second.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for all the input. I appreciate it
    How's My English?
    Quote Quote