VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a clearplay dvd/blue-ray player. You can configure it to filter out various types of content from movies (nudity, langage, etc.). I would like to capture output from the player and save it to disk.

So far, I've tried a very generic capture card off of Amazon which was only able to capture it at 320x240 through OBS. I sent it back and bought a elgato hd60s and it can't see the input at all. The player works on my TV. Does anyone know of any device that can do that job, or have ideas as to what I might be doing wrong?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OBS is not a capture program. It is primarily a screen-capture program but should still manage greater that 320*240.

Blu-ray players send a copy-protection signal over HDMI which your tv has circuitry to ignore. Capture devices do not ignore the signal which is known as HDCP.

The normal way to filter out the signal is to obtain a hdmi-splitter. But while this method worked in the past it does not always work now. Success is totally dependant on the splitter and even models that worked before are known not to work now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why not rip the discs? you get better quality that way... even after editing...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OP may not want to see or hear the offending parts at all for personal or religious reasons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The whole reason Clearplay was allowed to exist at all without copyright infringement was the explicit allowance for "family-friendly" (aka sanitized) LIVE playback. In other words, it does NOT allow for subsequent capture/storage, and doing so DOES run afowl of the copyright laws (which also with that same law was strengthened in punitive damages).

Be happy it still works, since clearplay has been virtually defunct since 2017.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Since it has HDMI, it will not have component (YUV) video out, is my guess, otherwise that would have be an option.
    But i think Cornucopia has also a strong argument.
    Quote Quote