VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

Is it possible to edit audio track to 'send' orchestra a little in the background and bring singer's voice 'forward'? The singer's voice gets somewhat lost [immersed] into the music.

Thanks.
    Sword is no substitute for kitchen-knife.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's speakers rather than headphones try moving them a little, or even just turning them inwards towards the middle a bit. Poor speaker positioning can cause poor centre fill.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    If it's speakers rather than headphones try moving them a little, or even just turning them inwards towards the middle a bit. Poor speaker positioning can cause poor centre fill.
    Thanks for the reply.

It is due to the way the audio track was recorded.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is the audio, mono, stereo, 5-channel or 7-channel ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Assuming stereo.
    Check the polarity on one of the channels. It is possible that one got swapped, and when that happens the effect is the center is diminished compared to the outer areas. You will know which one sounds more "solid" and which one sounds more weak/thin/spacey. Pick the solid one.

Other than that, you would have to do some rather complex filtering to emphasize the vocals (low/mid) and de-emphasize the mid-highs, highs, and very lows.

If this is surround, you might get lucky if your vox are primarily in one channel and you emphasize that channel.

Otherwise, it will be very difficult.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Assuming stereo.
    Check the polarity on one of the channels. It is possible that one got swapped, and when that happens the effect is the center is diminished compared to the outer areas. You will know which one sounds more "solid" and which one sounds more weak/thin/spacey. Pick the solid one.

Other than that, you would have to do some rather complex filtering to emphasize the vocals (low/mid) and de-emphasize the mid-highs, highs, and very lows.

If this is surround, you might get lucky if your vox are primarily in one channel and you emphasize that channel.

Scott
    Thanks, will try your suggestions and post results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Assuming stereo.

Scott
    I used Audacity to split stereo and exported both channels separately as Voice and Music as WAV files.

Opened Voice file in Ocenaudio and applied customized settings in Equalizer [I find Ocenaudio easy to use for Equalization].
    Saved the file.

Again opened Voice and Music files in Audacity, made Stereo track and exported as M4A file.
    I don't know why I can't save files as AAC in Audacity and Ocenaudio [ ], so, I saved as M4A. [Could not find any tool to convert M4A to AAC in Audio tools!]

Using MP4Box, replaced audio track with voice enhancement. MP4Box converted M4A to AAC!
    It threw audio/video out of sync.

Changed FR to 30fps and sync was almost restored.

I am happy with the results.

Thanks for your suggestions.
    Image Attached Files
    Last edited by ConverterCrazy; 25th Mar 2021 at 09:51. Reason: To attach samples
    Quote Quote  
  8. A little clarification, if anyone can help me understand this:

I don't know why I can't save files as AAC in Audacity and Ocenaudio [ ], so, I saved as M4A. [Could not find any tool to convert M4A to AAC in Audio tools!]
    What am I missing?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The m4a from audacity is aac audio in an MOV/MP4 container. You can demux to an aac stream with ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "Original-long version.m4a" -c copy "Original-long version.aac"
    or via drag/drop onto a batch file (or Send To -> batch file):

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "%~dpnx1" -c copy "%~dpn1.aac"
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    The m4a from audacity is aac audio in an MOV/MP4 container. You can demux to an aac stream with ffmpeg:
    Code:
    ffmpeg -i "Original-long version.m4a" -c copy "Original-long version.aac"
    or via drag/drop onto a batch file (or Send To -> batch file):

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "%~dpnx1" -c copy "%~dpn1.aac"
    Quote Quote