VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Hi

I bought 2 VHS players off ebay and I want to use one of them to clean a bunch of tapes with mould on.

The problem is that when i open the lid and put a tape in, the tape won't play. It appears that there is a sensor somewhere in the machine that won't allow me to play the tapes unless the top is covered. The same with the player. This obviously doesn't help me & I'm wondering how to overcome this if possible.

Thanks for any advice.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Put opaque tape over the tape out sensors. You must be careful to stop the tape yourself when it reaches the end.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mold?
    Hopefully you are you doing this outdoors?!
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like you are a same person from brazil with mold issues.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  5. In case you are wondering. JVRaines is correct. The VHS tapes have a leader at each end of the tape (beginning and end) that is clear. When that leader comes into the visible tape transport area, the light passes through that clear leader and the sensor then trips the sensing circuit that shuts down the tape transport system.
    If you defeat that by covering the light emitting lamp, that disables to auto shut down feature.
    So if you do that, just be vigilant to watch for that clear leader and shut down the advance/reverse manually.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Mold?
    +1
    Mo(u)ld spores are irritating to the lungs and can lead to bronchitis or worse in some people. Wear a HEPA mask and use ventilation. Most infections are on the edge of the pack and can be simply wiped off with hydrogen peroxide solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Except mold on tape is a common enough issue, while mold INSIDE a dvd (as the brazilian seemed to always get worked up about) is a one in a billion rarity.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I remember from years ago, with the cover off, my vhs player worked in a dark room but not in a bright room. Go figure, , , ,
    Yes, no, maybe, I don't know, Can you repeat the question?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    Put opaque tape over the tape out sensors. You must be careful to stop the tape yourself when it reaches the end.

Thank you very much. I never knew that.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Mold?
    Thank you. Yes, absolutely. Im very conscious of the health issues surrounding mold. I have purchased a few masks and goggles.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    Sounds like you are a same person from brazil with mold issues.
    Nope. Not the same.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by OldMan64 View Post
    In case you are wondering. JVRaines is correct. The VHS tapes have a leader at each end of the tape (beginning and end) that is clear. When that leader comes into the visible tape transport area, the light passes through that clear leader and the sensor then trips the sensing circuit that shuts down the tape transport system.
    If you defeat that by covering the light emitting lamp, that disables to auto shut down feature.
    So if you do that, just be vigilant to watch for that clear leader and shut down the advance/reverse manually.
    Thank you for your reply. I never knew that's how it worked until the replies in this thread. I appreciate your reply.
    Quote Quote