VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Anon45
    Ok, so I'm pretty sure that all Sony "i.LINK/Firewire" ports are 4-pin...

But if I get a 4-pin to 6-pin or 4-pin to 9-pin cable, will that speed up the data transfer?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    9-pin firewire ?

The answer is no since transfer is in real time. A one hour recording will take one hour to transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Anon45
    Really?
    Quote Quote  
  4. 9 pin Firewire = FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b-2002) (see here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_1394 )

As DB83 says though, Firewire (or 'i.link') tape transfer is always in real time....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Anon45
    Ok, thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  6. And to be on the safe side always connect your pc to your camcorder when everything is turned off. There are some firewire horror stories to be found.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/376401-how-do-I-keep-my-PC-s-from-burning-out-the-1...-on-my-cameras
    Quote Quote  
  7. Anon45
    Ha! I guess that's where it gets its name! Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    4 pin, 6 pin. The two extra wires/pins are for power.

From the Wikipedia article referenced above:

The 6-conductor powered connector, now referred to as an alpha connector, adds power output to support external devices. Typically a device can pull about 7 to 8 watts from the port; however, the voltage varies significantly from different devices.[26] Voltage is specified as unregulated and should nominally be about 25 volts (range 24 to 30). Apple's implementation on laptops is typically related to battery power and can be as low as 9 V
    I see how that could cause some damage if connected improperly.
    Last edited by redwudz; 3rd Mar 2016 at 11:26.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Anon45
    Yes, but I read that 9-pin can transfer up to 3200Mbps.
    And 4-to-6pin can transfer up to 1600Mbps.

Wish I wrote down the source...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ^^ The wiki article does quote those transfer rates.

But it does depend what you are transferring. If you have an external storage device such as Hard Disk that supports the interface then, yes, theoretically it is achievable.

But you are asking about a ilink transfer and that means video. In fact all video transfer is in real time - video tape could be copied in a plant faster and dvds can be copied faster than 1x but neither concern this thread.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Anon45
    Ok, thanks!
    Quote Quote