VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    Can you recommend any screen recorder that can capture in the same quality as your screen? I tried OBS, but the quality is poor, and it does not take any modifications I do to the bitrate into consideration. No matter what value I add, it keeps the bitrate low. Any recommendation to find a software that is possible to set up correctly and records at high quality?

I installed ScreenRec as well, but it seems to be it just offers a trial period for free. It records with identical quality as my screen, though.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Your issues with OBS are your own. OBS is as good or as bad as you set it, and I can confirm you can adjust settings to give you a pristine result. There may be other apps that do screen recording in a smooth way more simply, but you will be hard pressed to find a screen recorder with so MANY options, for FREE.
    Do what you want, but my recommendation is for you to take another crack at OBS.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. OBS is capable of producing great results.
    Why your bitrate settings are not being saved is a mystery.
    Set your bitrate to something like 10000 and see how that looks.
    I use 6-8000 depending on what the end result if for.

VLC player is also very capable of full screen capture without any bells and whistles.
    Last edited by super8rescue; 25th Jan 2021 at 06:57.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    I tried, it simply has no effect, no matter what value I set. It keeps the bitrate around 1500 kbps. Even in simple mode if I select Good or Immaculate quality, the different choices regarding quality has no effect either. Probably, as I remember, for the best quality it creates an avi, but the bitrate is the similar low value.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Your issues with OBS are your own. OBS is as good or as bad as you set it, and I can confirm you can adjust settings to give you a pristine result. There may be other apps that do screen recording in a smooth way more simply, but you will be hard pressed to find a screen recorder with so MANY options, for FREE.
    Do what you want, but my recommendation is for you to take another crack at OBS.

Scott
    I don't deny it has no good capabilities, but it seems to have a glitch or something like that. That's why I am trying to find something that is a bit more bugproof and can produce good results. I don't mind if it is a free trial with no limitations. I have found discussions on similar erros like mine, but there were no solutions mentioned.
    Quote Quote  
  6. There must be something wrong with the way you are setting up OBS or a problem with the install, or with your computer.

There is no reason it should be stuck at 1500. I am happily recording up to 10000 with no issues, as are thousands of other users, recording gaming streams to a very high quality.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Please give us screenshots of what you are seeing in OBS settings.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. You should see something like this, after clicking the settings icon.
    Don't forget to apply the changes you make in the output tab.

[Attachment 57012 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    I tried, it simply has no effect, no matter what value I set. It keeps the bitrate around 1500 kbps. Even in simple mode if I select Good or Immaculate quality, the different choices regarding quality has no effect either. Probably, as I remember, for the best quality it creates an avi, but the bitrate is the similar low value.
    Absolute nonsense, I use OBS throughout the working day, every day. And although not THE best its in the top 3 and as Cornucopia has said; it does exactly what you tell it to do via your settings.

Post screenshots of your settings, and we'll all assist.

There isn't an option to save a recording as an avi either..........

[Attachment 57017 - Click to enlarge]

You can use ffmpeg for screen recording too.
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop
    Last edited by codehound; 27th Jan 2021 at 10:39.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Here are some tests and screenshots. On the images you can see my recent settings. I attached what file these settings produce. The bitrate is nowhere near the amount set. I set 25000kbps and if you check the file with mediainfo it shows it is at 1330kbps.

The resulting video is blurry. If I install the software: ScreenRec, it produces a crytal clear video. I am just hesitating to use that software due to some notices about security issues.

[Attachment 57018 - Click to enlarge]

[Attachment 57020 - Click to enlarge]
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  11. I think OBS is one of the most popular, but I don't remember if it's free or not. Most of the time, the quality of the recorders is good, if not, then it's because of the settings probably. Scaling is the process of expanding or shrinking a screen recording to show it in a different size than the original. As a result, screen video loses quality quickly and appears blurry or distorted. This list of screen recorder apps can help you, all of them are very good, I tried them by myself.
    Last edited by Greirat; 16th Sep 2021 at 18:31.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Originally Posted by Bencuri View Post
    Absolute nonsense, I use OBS throughout the working day, every day. And although not THE best its in the top 3 and as Cornucopia has said; it does exactly what you tell it to do via your settings.

Post screenshots of your settings, and we'll all assist.

There isn't an option to save a recording as an avi either..........

[Attachment 57017 - Click to enlarge]

You can use ffmpeg for screen recording too.
    https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Capture/Desktop

Hello!

If OBS is not the best, what is the best cature software? What is the Number1 software?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search PM

Scott
    Yes, OBS is the best, but why are people on this forum who don't like it?
    Quote Quote  
  14. It sounds like you are having a Windows folder permissions problem. You do not have permission to store the settings in the directory you need to. Are you using an admin account or a user account? Try running OBS as admin.
    Quote Quote  
  15. The interface is so similar to OBS, I saw from the start the screen shot and thought that was it. The options are also similar, but I had some hard times trying to set it all up, every time something was going wrong, or the quality was too bad and I just couldn't continue like that. In the end, I just found another app https://www.movavi.com/screen-recorder/, which is much better. I didn't even have to watch or read any guides, everything was clear from the very beginning, and the quality of the record was amazing.
    Last edited by AbrahAndrea; 28th Sep 2021 at 00:22.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Even more delicate options, especially how to handle frame dropping/double frames has VirtualDub2. In capture mode just use "screen capture" as device. But you have to know what you set.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Truthler View Post

Scott
    Yes, OBS is the best, but why are people on this forum who don't like it?
    I don't know who you think don't like it.
    You may be confusing their praise of OBS's prime capability as a screen capture/recorder & streamer vs. people's arguments that OBS is NOT an optimal ANALOG VIDEO capture app (which it isn't).
    It isn't coded to properly handle interlacing or of timebase variability (hence frame drops), both common occurrences in analog video, and it can easily be set accidentally to change color space from YUV->RGB and to resize (especially without taking interlacing into account). Truly premier analog video capture apps don't have those issues, and they often have more/better choice as to appropriate codec. And those proper apps have an interface that is core to that single task, so doesn't tax computer resources as much.

But let's not get off topic, shall we?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  18. Camtasia is another one I've used years ago but when i need to capture my screen I use OBS. I'm not sawing its the best because is a subjective word, What's best for one person may not be the best for another person. Just youtube search and watch videos if something catches your eye, Give it a try and pick what works for you.
    Quote Quote