VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ...

My Gateway 6214 laptop's internal CD-DVD drive seems to be giving writing (and sometime reading errors). Now, very seriously considering external CD-DVD burner/reader. Leaning towards Iomega drive w/Nero software, in $60 to $80 price range.

Please feel free to submit your recommendations.

Thanx-A-Lot, Frank-0-Video
    Last edited by Frank-0-Video; 15th Mar 2010 at 17:18.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I recommend buying an external enclosure and getting a LG writer, that way if the LG goes bad you can buy a new one.
    You can get an enclosure for $30 from Newegg or Frys, LG writers go for $25.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I agree with MovieGeek......and DON'T INSTALL NERO or buy anything just because
    it says they are giving Nero for free.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Frank-0-Video View Post
    Greetings ...

My Gateway 6214 laptop's internal CD-DVD drive seems to be giving writing (and sometime reading errors). Now, very seriously considering external CD-DVD burner/reader. Leaning towards Iomega drive w/Nero software, in $60 to $80 price range.

Please feel free to submit your recommendations.

As mentioned get a external enclosure and buy a internal dvd burner. Nero sucks and not needed cause you can use IMGBURN to burn dvd media which by the way is excellent and it's FREEWARE.

If you don't wanna mess with a external enclosure then buy a external dvd burner and don't buy a Iomega. Get either a LG or SAMSUNG external dvd burner.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you buy an enclosure and a burner, you will have two products. It means when technical problem appears, you have to figure out which one is malfunctioning. In that sense an all-in-one product is better. Actually, the external writer consist of an internal writer + USB adapter.

I've used both Samsung and LG, both are fine.

The only problem I had and still having so far, during last three years, is recognition of an external writer by PC as USB1 device, instead of USB2 (USB2 Enchanced); this is on three different laptops and both with Windows XP Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate. The error message you may get is something like "your device can perform faster if you connect it to USB2 port". If you ignore this message, the reading and burning speed will be very low.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings ....

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I asked about Nero only because I've used their wav/mp3 audio file editor and liked it. If there are other audio file edtors that you know of, feel free to point them out.

Quote Quote  
  7. I bought the slim Samsung dvd burner more than 6 months ago for my Asus EEE
    it's selling right now for $44.99

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?nm_mc=AFC-TechBargains&cm_mmc=AFC-TechBarga...82E16827151198
    Quote Quote