VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How to capture a snapshot in MPC-HC without the black lines at the top and at the bottom?

Here is the example, attached.

The video has the black lines at the top and at the bottom.

I want to capture a snapshot of only the video itself, without the black spaces (lines).

Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thanks.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	083.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	173.7 KB
ID:	77975  

Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    What i do is click on prt scn and i get the option to only copy the image and paste in my paint app.Not sure if windows 10 can do this since i'm on windows 11.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What i do is click on prt scn and i get the option to only copy the image and paste in my paint app.Not sure if windows 10 can do this since i'm on windows 11.
    I know, it is possible via special manipulations. I am using FastStone Capture for this.

But, here, I dont want any manual image editing.
    I want to just press F5 (Snapshot autosave) and it will do the thing for me.

Important to mention that the black areas are a part of the video itself, not becouse I stretch a player's frame.
    Quote Quote  
  4. MPC-HC is a player, not an editor.
    You could write a script which does the autocrop and then calls MPC-HC, or google for a player with autocrop function (e.g. GOMplayer AFAIK).
    Last edited by Sharc; 28th Mar 2024 at 03:31.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In a Dolby Vision thread at the Doom9 forums, a border detection tool (DetectBorders.exe) is mentioned. I understand Doom9 forums member named Atak_Snajpera wrote it. He is member here at VH too. Maybe he can chime in and tell if implementing his tool for screen capture or application snapshot is possible.

Originally Posted by johns0 View Post
    What i do is click on prt scn and i get the option to only copy the image and paste in my paint app.
    Just mentioning, but do note that when using the "print screen" button on the keyboard, the image being copied to the clipboard can have an other-than-source resolution. For example, imagine playing a 4K video on a 1920x1080 pc-monitor. Print-screen button will yield a 1920x1080 picture. At least, on my Windows machine it does. Whereas "taking a snapshot" - as a feature of the player application - can be set to take the frame in it's native (here 4K) resolution.
    Last edited by Ennio; 28th Mar 2024 at 04:37.
    Quote Quote  
  6. You can do this later with ffmpeg for example (but not only) - my assumption is you perform multiple snapshots and finally you have folder with many images requiring to be cropped.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    If the black bars are part of the video they will be in the screenshot, Just use any image editor including the one that comes with you OS and crop the black bands. Like everyone said above, if you want an automated way, script approach is your best bet.
    Quote Quote