VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Does anyone know which devices I need if I want to stream videos and record (from any website), directly from my HDTV? Any help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Streaming/recording video directly from a smart HDTV's web browser or app probably won't work at all, or won't provide an acceptable picture. HDTVs don't have a suitable connection to provide HD video output to another device, particularly from a streaming service or web browser.

If the HDTV has a USB connection, it won't work as a source for streaming video. Outside N. America, USB on an HDTV can sometimes be used to record video to a USB drive in an encrypted format, but since cracking the encryption is not a simple matter, the USB connection won't be useful for streaming. Plus, the recording feature is probably only available when using the TV's tuner as the video source. HDTVs made for N. America only accept video input from a USB drive. They cannot record video.

If an outgoing video connection on an HDTV exists (they are not common), it will be labeled "Monitor Out", "TV Out", "Video Out" or something similar, and it will be a composite connection supplying SD analog video. Also, in some cases, the "Monitor Out" connection doesn't supply video from any source other than the TV's tuner, so connecting an SD capture device to use for streaming/recording web video won't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    To put it simply: a TV/monitor is meant as a final output device (sink). It takes inputs and displays them. Like a speaker.
    You want to capture/record a stream, you do it downstream of a source (camera, gaming output, bd player, gen media player, streaming pc inet channel, sat receiver, atsc tuner/receiver), and either before or parallel to a sink.

Very, very, very few sinks have pass-through. Most that do are pro devices meant for production. The remainder would usually contain copy protection restrictions.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ok, let me explain what I'm trying to do. I want to stream video through my TV using something such as Roku or Chromecast. Then I'm looking for a device that will record this video streaming so that I may watch it at another time. Just like you would do when you download a torrent online using a PC and save it to flash drive. I'd like to do the same thing but using the TV. So my question is can this be done and if so, what device can I purchase to do this? Also, which streaming device would you suggest would work to stream from any website? Your immediate help would be appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lucky113 View Post
    Ok, let me explain what I'm trying to do. I want to stream video through my TV using something such as Roku or Chromecast. Then I'm looking for a device that will record this video streaming so that I may watch it at another time. Just like you would do when you download a torrent online using a PC and save it to flash drive. I'd like to do the same thing but using the TV. So my question is can this be done and if so, what device can I purchase to do this? Also, which streaming device would you suggest would work to stream from any website? Your immediate help would be appreciated.
    Since it appears that you do not understand which kinds of subjects VideoHelp allows to be discussed, read the forum rules regarding warez.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Sorry my apologies
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm new to these forums therefore I didn't mean to offend anyone.
    Quote Quote  
  8. This box good for recording television broadcast/stream etc

https://www.amazon.com/HDML-Cloner-Instant-playback-capturing-streaming/dp/B012T1D0IG/...dmi+cloner+box

As per forum rules, please do not use this box "to rip/copy/record rented video. It includes streaming rented/subscribed video like netflix, itunes, hulu plus, etc."

but that does appear to allow you to record from sites such as youtube. Especially some Creative Commons licensed material, such as the truly wonderful film Big Buck Bunny:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE7VzlLtp-4

plug chromecast into hdmi input. Plug hdmi output to tv. You will be set.
    Quote Quote