VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just had some weird problems with my DVD authoring.
    • 1). I did some text animation in After Effects (AF), rendered it out PAL 720x576 (25frames) AVI. Everything looks great, good picture quality.
      2). Then I put in the AVI in to Canopus Pro coder and converted it to MPEG2, Still picture quality is looking great.
      3). Now I put the MPEG2 file in to DVD Architect (single play video, PAL 720x576). Render out and burn the video.

Now when im looking at the finish DVD all but one of my text is super pixelated. So I try to check the VOB file and same thing there (all text but one is pixelated). I also had it tested on a computer with ADOBE Encore and the problem still remade.

Solution: I open AF and activated 3D on all text.. Now most text looks great but I still had two more text that was pixelated. So I open AF again and deleted this text and created it again.

Now when I rendered it out its all good, nice DVD quality.

How come? Anyone that has an idea? Why do the text get pixilated like this and just during the Authoring?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by john_swedish
    I just had some weird problems with my DVD authoring.
    • 1). I did some text animation in After Effects (AF), rendered it out PAL 720x576 (25frames) AVI. Everything looks great, good picture quality.
      2). Then I put in the AVI in to Canopus Pro coder and converted it to MPEG2, Still picture quality is looking great.
      3). Now I put the MPEG2 file in to DVD Architect (single play video, PAL 720x576). Render out and burn the video.

Now when im looking at the finish DVD all but one of my text is super pixelated. So I try to check the VOB file and same thing there (all text but one is pixelated). I also had it tested on a computer with ADOBE Encore and the problem still remade.

Solution: I open AF and activated 3D on all text.. Now most text looks great but I still had two more text that was pixelated. So I open AF again and deleted this text and created it again.

Now when I rendered it out its all good, nice DVD quality.

How come? Anyone that has an idea? Why do the text get pixilated like this and just during the Authoring?
    Could you post sample frames? Is this an animation?

My first guess would be your text edges are over sharp. This would cause encoding artifacts that would look good on a computer monitor.

Second guess is pan/zoom rotations also cause alias problems unless output bandwidth is managed.

The trick TV post people use is to hook up a broadcast monitor (or TV set) to the IEEE-1394 output preview and adjust the animation to look good there not on the computer monitor. The text might come out blurry on the computer monitor. In NTSC land we usually also attach a cheap representative NTSC TV set (without fancy comb filter) and watch for edge or color problems for the NTSC version. PAL has similar problems if you anticipate VHS release.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can see it on a still frame (no animation)
    I can see the problem also on the computer screen.

Adding an image..

thanks

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is the original render progressive or interlace? The edges don't look overly sharp. The picture on the right is showing what looks like deinterlace and/or standards conversion artifacts.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I got something similar resizing to 177x144 and resizing back up.

Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do that mean? Im still learning encoding/authoring..

Where do i check if i render progressive or interlace in AF?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What do that mean? Im still learning encoding/authoring..

Where do i check if i render progressive or interlace in AF?
    Did you resize the output or did you use full 720x576 to PAL DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I used 720x576 AVI to 720x576 PAL DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used 720x576 AVI to 720x576 PAL DVD.
    I couldn't duplicate that without resize. Maybe others have an idea.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The first thing that jumps out at me is this :

If the mpeg-2 video is correctly encoded as DVD compliant by ProCoder, then DVD Architect should not render a damned thing. It should only author the disc.

Also, your solution doesn't make sense if you what state in your three points is correct. Changing after effects will only affect the video output at step one. It cannot influence the quality of the video after step 3 in the manner you state. So if changing after effects fixes the problem, then the video must have looked like this after steps 1, 2 and 3 originally
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote