VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. What can I do? Sharpening? Anything else? What's the proper sharpening settings? Is there a plug in for Premiere? Or Premiere itself is just fine with some settings? cos I don't wanna rescale and rendered 1080p vid to lose even more quality. I jsut wanna do in Premiere while I montage the source footage and render it in 1440p with the right settings
    Last edited by DunnoNo; 19th Jan 2019 at 03:09.

Search Comp PM
    sorry just have to ask? why would you want to? what uses 1440p that can't upscale it in hardware.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303

3. Youtube won't slap VP9 codec on my vid unless it's in 1440p or higher or you've got lots of views when it's 1080p. If you upload 1080p your vids look like crap with AVC. Since I see that just raw upscaling blurries the pic I gotta try to negate the effect

So personally I don't actually want this and would never bother.

4. Originally Posted by DunnoNo View Post
    Youtube won't slap VP9 codec on my vid unless it's in 1440p or higher
    You're saying no VP9 unless 1440p? Nonsense. Mine are only 480p and all get VP9. Gotta link?

5. Member
    Search PM
    Nonsense removed.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 19th Jan 2019 at 03:04.
    - My sister Ann's brother

6. The best upscaler is nnedi3_rpow2() in AviSynth.

7. Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Originally Posted by DunnoNo View Post
    If you upload 1080p your vids look like crap with AVC.
    What doesn't look like crap on PooTube? If you think they won't reprocess whatever you upload, you're dreaming.
    Awww haahah you look like an idiot explaining a known fact while thinking you're a genius? hahahaa

8. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Youtube won't slap VP9 codec on my vid unless it's in 1440p or higher
    You're saying no VP9 unless 1440p? Nonsense. Mine are only 480p and all get VP9. Gotta link?
    Yes. That's what's I'm saying. It's been tested and known. Go watch vids on how to get VP9. They exist for a reason. Under 500 views it's AVC, above 500 it's VP9. Go upload anything. Once your vid hits 500 views it 'll get vp9 no matter what resolution it is

9. Originally Posted by DunnoNo View Post
    Under 500 views it's AVC, above 500 it's VP9.
    Except you didn't say that originally. It's also untrue. I went looking among my main channels and found lots of videos with over 2,500 views in AVC and without VP9. And even the channel I briefly checked before making my previous post had a few low view-count videos (but well over 500) with only AVC.

Go watch vids on how to get VP9.
    No thanks. Yes, VP9 is a more efficient codec. But - BUT - if given a lower bitrate, it won't necessarliy look any better than does AVC and this speaks to LMotlow's comment which you belittled. That is, I don't believe VP9 is the be all and end all of YouTube encodings. It's a combination of codec and bitrate (or quality given, if using 1-pass quality-based encoding) which determines the final appearance of the video.

Me, I can't tell the difference between the AVC and the VP9 videos in my own channels. Of course, what I write might not apply to the higher resolution videos and YouTube might apply different standards to different channels based on the popularity of the channels and the upload resolutions, as well as the number of views.

As jagabo mentioned, NNEDI3_rpow2 (available in AviSynth), and perhaps followed by a sharpener, is the best freeware upscaler. It's right up there with the commercial solutions, ones such as Infognition's Video Enhancer (which recently became freeware, as I just discovered). If you're not very familiar with AviSynth, you might try Video Enhancer.

10. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Under 500 views it's AVC, above 500 it's VP9.
    Except you didn't say that originally. It's also untrue. I went looking among my main channels and found lots of videos with over 2,500 views in AVC and without VP9. And even the channel I briefly checked before making my previous post had a few low view-count videos (but well over 500) with only AVC.

Go watch vids on how to get VP9.
    No thanks. Yes, VP9 is a more efficient codec. But - BUT - if given a lower bitrate, it won't necessarliy look any better than does AVC and this speaks to LMotlow's comment which you belittled. That is, I don't believe VP9 is the be all and end all of YouTube encodings. It's a combination of codec and bitrate (or quality given, if using 1-pass quality-based encoding) which determines the final appearance of the video.

Me, I can't tell the difference between the AVC and the VP9 videos in my own channels. Of course, what I write might not apply to the higher resolution videos and YouTube might apply different standards to different channels based on the popularity of the channels and the upload resolutions, as well as the number of views.

As jagabo mentioned, NNEDI3_rpow2 (available in AviSynth), and perhaps followed by a sharpener, is the best freeware upscaler. It's right up there with the commercial solutions, ones such as Infognition's Video Enhancer (which recently became freeware, as I just discovered). If you're not very familiar with AviSynth, you might try Video Enhancer.

How old is your channel? The recent youtube behavior is very consistent. Over 500 and you get VP9. Youtube keeps copy of your oringinal upload for a while. If you don't reach a threshold in time it stays AVC cos the copy is gone

I said the existence of videos about getting VP9 proves what I'm saying.
    If you don't see it looks any better go watch vids and compare. The difference is night and day. FFS I'm talking to a guy who's arguing about something he has no clue.

Might not apply? Then don't open your mouth and don't waste my time. :P

That's it. Stay on point. What are the best sharpening settings?
    How do I do this? I can use this Video Enhancer and to upscale and sharp while converting or what? What are the settings for this

is there a good plugin for Premiere?
    Last edited by DunnoNo; 18th Jan 2019 at 19:08.

Search Comp PM
    what most people fail to realize is that any re-encoding is going to result in a loss of quality. even "lossless" codecs at extremely high bitrates are only visually lossless. no amount of sharpening is going to get rid of that and it introduces it's own loss of "quality" and other defects.
    --

12. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    even "lossless" codecs at extremely high bitrates are only visually lossless
    Lossless codecs are literally lossless. Every bit that comes out of the decoder is identical to the bit that went in. Just like ZIP compression.

Search Comp PM
    respectfully disagree, it's still been run through a re-encoding.
    Last edited by aedipuss; 18th Jan 2019 at 20:51.
    --

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Lossless codecs are literally lossless. Every bit that comes out of the decoder is identical to the bit that went in. Just like ZIP compression.
    Correct.

Many, many years ago, I did see oddities in Huffyuv, but outside forced were potential.
    Not seen those in more than a decade now.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

15. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    respectfully disagree, it's still been run through a re-encoding.

Jagabo is right, mathematically speaking, as is easily proven via SSIM and PSNR calculations, lossless means just that.

16. You don't need to do SSIM or PSNR calculations. You can simply run a binary compare of the uncompressed data. Even after a million reencodings every byte that comes out the last decompression is the same as the the byte that went into the first compression.

17. Originally Posted by DunnoNo View Post
    The recent youtube behavior is very consistent. Over 500 and you get VP9.
    That's a definitive statement, right? So all I need is one example to disprove it, right? The picture below is of a video uploaded on Dec 13, 2018 with 604 views. It's probably had over 500 views for a couple of weeks as a majority of its views would have been acquired soon after being made public, plenty of time for it to get the VP9 treatment. It probably will get it sometime in the future. And it's AVC. The one below is from August, 2018 and has nearly 2,500 views. Is that recent enough? Still AVC. As mentioned, there might be other factors at play that determine when it goes VP9. But your set-in-stone statement doesn't allow for that possibility.

FFS I'm talking to a guy who's arguing about something he has no clue.
    Cute. I'm not the one here asking how to upscale properly. I do know something about how YouTube works and didn't have to watch YouTube videos to learn. Both jagabo and I told you how to upscale and you're still here whining rather than trying out different things. Of course, being such an expert, you'll already know that sharpening makes a video more difficult to compress, especially with the relatively low bitrates allowed by YouTube, and you might wind up with a worse looking video.

What are the best sharpening settings?
    For what? Video Enhancer? I haven't a clue as when upscaling I use AviSynth's NNEDI3_rpow2. This might be a typical VCD to DVD AviSynth script with some possible sharpening afterwards:

NNEDI3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=704,fheight=480)
    #Dull=Last
    #Sharp=Dull.LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.25,ss_y=1. 25,Smode=4,strength=500,soft=30)
    #Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.25,ss_y=1.25,Smode=4,s trength=500,soft=30)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	AVC.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	47850  

Click image for larger version

Name:	AVC2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	64.1 KB
ID:	47851  

Last edited by manono; 19th Jan 2019 at 01:19.

18. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    The recent youtube behavior is very consistent. Over 500 and you get VP9.
    That's a definitive statement, right? So all I need is one example to disprove it, right? The picture below is of a video uploaded on Dec 13, 2018 with 604 views. It's probably had over 500 views for a couple of weeks as a majority of its views would have been acquired soon after being made public, plenty of time for it to get the VP9 treatment. It probably will get it sometime in the future. And it's AVC. The one below is from August, 2018 and has nearly 2,500 views. Is that recent enough? Still AVC. As mentioned, there might be other factors at play that determine when it goes VP9. But your set-in-stone statement doesn't allow for that possibility.

FFS I'm talking to a guy who's arguing about something he has no clue.
    Cute. I'm not the one here asking how to upscale properly. I do know something about how YouTube works and didn't have to watch YouTube videos to learn. Both jagabo and I told you how to upscale and you're still here whining rather than trying out different things. Of course, being such an expert, you'll already know that sharpening makes a video more difficult to compress, especially with the relatively low bitrates allowed by YouTube, and you might wind up with a worse looking video.

What are the best sharpening settings?
    For what? Video Enhancer? I haven't a clue as when upscaling I use AviSynth's NNEDI3_rpow2. This might be a typical VCD to DVD AviSynth script with some possible sharpening afterwards:

NNEDI3_rpow2(rfactor=2,cshift="lanczosresize",fwid th=704,fheight=480)
    #Dull=Last
    #Sharp=Dull.LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.25,ss_y=1. 25,Smode=4,strength=500,soft=30)
    #Soothe(Sharp,Dull,25)
    LimitedSharpenFaster(ss_x=1.25,ss_y=1.25,Smode=4,s trength=500,soft=30)
    oh oh I'very sorry I forgot to take your low res vids into account cos nobody cares about those if they wanna get VP9. The definite statement is about 1080p and higher

I already sharpened a vid in Premiere before I posted here and uploaded on youtube and the sharpened version looks better in 1440p and even in 1080p playback. I guess that's a surprise for you but not for me. Mr expert you fail yet again

Is Premiere sharpening is any good? Any good plugin? I don't wanna rescale a rendered vid to lose more quality.

19. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    If you upload 1080p your vids look like crap with AVC.
    What doesn't look like crap on PooTube? If you think they won't reprocess whatever you upload, you're dreaming.
    Awww haahah you look like an idiot explaining a known fact while thinking you're a genius? hahahaa
    Sorry, I should know better than to submit to a thread by someone with cantaloupe for brains.

DunnoNo just goes to prove what Einstein said: the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
    - My sister Ann's brother

20. Originally Posted by DunnoNo View Post
    The definite statement is about 1080p and higher.
    Nice how you change the rules with every new post. You hadn't said that before now. In fact, you affirmed it applied to all videos. So, you're contradicting yourself:

Under 500 views it's AVC, above 500 it's VP9. Go upload anything. Once your vid hits 500 views it 'll get vp9 no matter what resolution it is
    One can't have a rational discussion with someone who just makes things up out of thin air. Good luck and please feel free to have the last word.

21. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    The definite statement is about 1080p and higher.
    Nice how you change the rules with every new post. You hadn't said that before now. In fact, you affirmed it applied to all videos. So, you're contradicting yourself:

Under 500 views it's AVC, above 500 it's VP9. Go upload anything. Once your vid hits 500 views it 'll get vp9 no matter what resolution it is
    One can't have a rational discussion with someone who just makes things up out of thin air. Good luck and please feel free to have the last word.
    hahahaha I work only with 1080p and 1440p and asked about it and you expect me to test all the things that vast majority doesn't give a shit about so you can do your hair splitting and claim I contradict myself. hahahahaha Dude are you a retard? <<<< you're so rational just ******* wow

Hey hey moron. If I say MI 8 is the best phone out there you will cry I contradict myself cos I haven't tried every single phone on the market especially some button pushers? hahahaha

Search Comp PM
    hahahaha
    hahahahaha Dude are you a retard? <<<< you're so rational just ******* wow
    Hey hey moron.
    hahahaha
    Your attitude is pathetic.

23. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Closed!