VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Sony has released their Xperia Z5 smartphone lineup, and the Premium version is the world's first smartphone with a 4K display at an eye popping 806 ppi. All Z5 variants include a new, and exclusive to the Z5 range for now, 1/2.3 Exmor RS 23 MP sensor which records 4K video. I know this is flamebait, but Samsung and others will assuredly follow. And HD video will eventually look like a post script in the quest for higher and higher resolution.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/09/02/sony-xperia-z5-premium-compact-hands-on-video/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I like the idea that they can pack that much density of pixels into a small space, but the optics dictate that it would be visually WASTED unless you were closer than ~6-8" from the (5.5") screen. At that point, lots of people would have trouble focusing & not seeing their own nose.*

*(Unless those pixels were used for other purposes - 3D lenticular, HDR! )

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. This post is supposed to be about the 4K video capabilities of the Exmor sensor which is present in all variants of the Z5. Stay on topic please.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Sony has released their Xperia Z5 smartphone lineup, and the Premium version is the world's first smartphone with a 4K display at an eye popping 806 ppi....
    How is my response to this not on topic?

If you want my take on the sensor alone - I'm delighted! Though, care had better be taken WRT codec & bitrate & card speed, or the "4k quality" will be wasted also. Plus, at 1/2.3", there's still noise/low light issues.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 2nd Sep 2015 at 12:45.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    How is my response to this not on topic?
    Snarkiness about the 4K display.
    Quote Quote  
  6. What's wrong with his comment? LOL you're only allowed to post "nice, warm fuzzy" comments ?

The display is newsworthy part (whether or not it's useful at that size is debatable) - There were over 20 phones capable of recording 4K/UHD last year
    Quote Quote  
  7. This is starting to sound like the worn out Retina Display debate among apple haters/fanboys. So 2010.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Haha so "haters" can't hate apple anymore since they don't have a 4K display OR recording options for their phone ? Apple wasn't on that list of phones last year. So now it's time to "hate" sony ?

I'll have to play with it when it's in the shops, but I suspect for many people that actually look at things objectively, it won't be very useful at that display size. It might be an awesome display in terms of other characteristics, like brightness, color reproduction etc..., but 4K resolution at 5.5 inches? Now maybe if apple made it , it would become more popular and faster
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Interesting that if you look at Sony's website, the spec for the Z5 shows only HD display: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z5/specifications/.
    Display

5.2” FHD 1080p (1920x1080)
    Triluminos display for Mobile

X-Reality for Mobile
    Dynamic Contrast Enhancer
    Also, no further spec on whether the 4k recording actually does >30p...

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Interesting that if you look at Sony's website, the spec for the Z5 shows only HD display: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z5/specifications/.
    Display

X-Reality for Mobile

Scott
    This thread is about the Z5 Premium version. http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z5-premium-dual/
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Display

X-Reality for Mobile

Scott
    Only the Premium will sport that 4K display. The Sony page looks like it only lists the non-Premium Z5. The phones won't be officially released until October, so we won't see exact specs until they are in the hands of some reviewers. But fwiw, the Z3 series records 2160p video at 55 Mbps and close to p30 but not quite, iow it is VFR. The HD video in the Z3's is 17.5 Mbps and is not the same quality as the 2160p video. The Z3 series uses a Snapdragon 801 and Adreno 330. The Z5 will be using the 810 and 430. Thus, if the Z5 is able to record 2160p at a CFR of 30, that would be a win imo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Noted about the site.

Sure hope it's CFR. If not, it's not worth the hassle for me.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A phone with 4K??? Who cares...it is just a way to grab more $ from you. Nobody will see the difference on such a small device. It just doesn't matter. But if people THINK it makes them feel better about themselves, why not?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yes, but...
    Often phone-sourced footage is used on other, larger devices, so it could make quite a difference if done right.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by ron spencer View Post
    A phone with 4K??? Who cares...it is just a way to grab more $ from you. Nobody will see the difference on such a small device. It just doesn't matter. But if people THINK it makes them feel better about themselves, why not?
    Same here, who cares, if you want 4k, grab a 4k cam.

Want to know if a 4k phone has image stabilization for starters, but even if it did, there is no way i would ever use any phone to shoot any video that is even semi important to me.

Now i am just going to hide in the corner and wait for SameSelf to enter the room and start picking my comment to pieces like he does to everyone in this forum.
    Quote Quote  
  16. 4k video recording and display... on a phone?
    it may be a technical achievement but where to store that amount of data?
    Should we get some 128GB class 10 SD card?
    Is the lens/optics good enough for not wasting that resolution?
    Also power consumption is a concern....

editing and deinterlacing will be another headache.... computing power is capping in recent decade... that means slower encodes and more complain from consumer about slow editing/encoding and more frequent crash/out of memory...

In essence, I think it is a promising technology but on a wrong platform
    Stopping development until someone save me from poverty or get me out of Hong Kong...
    Twitter @MaverickTse
    Quote Quote  
  17. Most phones cant even do 1080p properly, let alone 4k, so to me its all just a big gimmick to get peoples cash.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by glenpinn View Post
    Now i am just going to hide in the corner and wait for SameSelf to enter the room and start picking my comment to pieces like he does to everyone in this forum.
    u got some hate bro?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by SameSelf View Post
    u got some hate bro?
    Yes, i hate when people like you, and newpball, make being a member of this forum a real PITA because of the way you carry on.

That is all i have to say to, or about you, and like i already posted in another topic, i would rather walk away from participating here than have to tolerate the likes of you and others such as newpball, who i believe he is still banned.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    To all members, please leave out the personal attacks or this thread will be closed.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  21. My apologies, i should know better by now than to stoop to the level that i did, but you know what, sometimes some people are just very difficult to tolerate.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by MaverickTse View Post
    4k video recording and display... on a phone?
    it may be a technical achievement but where to store that amount of data?
    Should we get some 128GB class 10 SD card?
    Is the lens/optics good enough for not wasting that resolution?
    Also power consumption is a concern....

editing and deinterlacing will be another headache.... computing power is capping in recent decade... that means slower encodes and more complain from consumer about slow editing/encoding and more frequent crash/out of memory...

In essence, I think it is a promising technology but on a wrong platform
    The Z3 series records 2160p video at 55 Mbps or 25 GB/hr. I just upgraded my 64 GB microSD to 128 GB Class U1 for $50 USD which holds over 5 hours of 4K video. The Z5 series is supposed to support 200 GB. I have not seen anything in the wild bigger than 128 GB, but there are rumors that 256 GB and even 512 GB microSD cards are around the corner. 200 GB is about 8 hours of 4K video. Plus, the 4K video on the Z3 is much higher quality than the HD video. My only gripe is 4K is not CFR, so it makes it hard to deal with in post. I don't know what the limiting factor is: write speed of the SD card? cpu power? Anyway, I treat it like my HD camcorder; sure I could shoot in SD, but I never have.
    Quote Quote  
  23. And for most people, buying a phone that shoots 4k would be a total waste of cash, most people would never know what to do with it, let alone be able to edit or play it.

Personally i don't see the point, and just a waste of time.
    Quote Quote  
  24. I missed this. I was wondering where the strange 200 GB came from. I guess this is why. That is a massive amount of storage to squeeze in a piece of plastic no larger than a fingernail. Zowie!

http://www.androidcentral.com/sandisks-new-200gb-microsd-card-brings-massive-storage-tiny-size
    Quote Quote  
  25. This might be a testament to Qualcomm's Snapdragon 810 H.265/HEVC support. The nice thing is you can stream the video from your phone to your UHD TV.

http://www.phonearena.com/news/4K-video-heat-test-with-Xperia-Z5-hints-that-its-Snapdr...s-cool_id73296
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    Yes, but...
    Often phone-sourced footage is used on other, larger devices, so it could make quite a difference if done right.

Scott
    Get a proper video recorder then...have you seen some of the newer ones? Amazing. People want to cram everything into one package. This doesn't work.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
  27. Just last week, I was standing in my local Walmart next to a 55" UHD TV thinking to myself, "Guess it is official. I am slumming it with my HD TV. Now I know my next TV will be minimum 4K, maybe 8K." So finding an appropriate viewer to stream my 4K video shot on my phone/camcorder/GoPro from my Plex server will not be a problem in the very near future. As it is now, all my legacy SD video makes me wish I had bitten the bullet on HD a lot, lot, lot, lot sooner.
    Quote Quote  
  28. SameSelf, it never ends, there is always some-thing that one has to have and his life turns out to be supposedly better. Wait, to not pay arms and legs. You can even shoot 4k if you insist but watch it on HD. Same as it was with HD, I did not threw out CRT only because I had HD camcorder, had WDTV Live and was happy to see the HD content. Even streaming it over the house 6 years ago or so. So you can use 4k player to play your content and just wait for 4k TV, perhaps to get bigger size , at least 80" so it would make sense to have 4k in the first place. Patience.
    Quote Quote  
  29. I just don't get this infatuation for 4k tv, especially right now, and as _Al_ said, you just watch 4k on a HD TV and save your cash.

I will be moving to shooting 1080/50p XAVC-S 4k video @150Mbps by years end, and i will be editing the video in 4k and leaving it as is for archiving, then running a copy to 1080/50p mp4 @ between 25 and 40Mbps (depending on what my VRD Pro x264 encoder is set to) for playback on my 55" 1080p TV.

I just don't see the point in all this 4k TV right now, but i can see a point in shooting 4k video, because it does downscale beautifully, and you get to retain the edited 4k content to play if/when we ever got 4k tv, and 4k playback support.

Another reason for shooting 4k is because some potential clients have been asking me when/if i am making the move, and it is these people who i believe will want their videos shot in 4k and output to a supported 4k format for playing back onto a 4k tv.

All my 4 HD TV's in my home have a WD Live Hdd media player connected for better playback support.
    Quote Quote  
  30. ^ummm, speak for yourself. It is not an infatuation. It is an acknowledgement. Good luck trying to find a CRT or SD analog TV in the store. In the future, good luck finding anything less than UHD. Of course, I am speaking for consumers in the US.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!