VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    ... quit packaging mice & flash drives & such in those impenetrable clear plastic 'vaults'. Just gave myself a nasty cut trying to open one. What was wrong with simple cardboard anyway?

feel free to add your own gripes or wishful futuretech!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Blister packs are the devil no matter what they entomb.
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I use a huge pair of scissors and cut the box all up. If I have to return it, I give them back the bubble kibble. If they want to argue, we argue.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This sort of packaging is designed as a shoplifting deterrent. There's a tag inside the package that sets off an alarm as you exit the store, unless it is disabled at the checkout counter. In the past, thieves commonly removed the contents from packages before leaving the store, but this type of sealed container makes it much more difficult.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Yep, large scissors are the safest to open them. A pair of sheet metal snips also works well.

ahhaa, in the future please use a more descriptive subject title in your posts to allow others to search for similar topics. I will change yours this time. From our rules:
    Try to choose a subject that describes your topic.
    Please do not use topic subjects like Help me!!! or Problems.
    Thanks,
    Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh man I hate those. Whats so hard about using CARDBOARD???? Jeesh.....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Every one knows that the best deterrent to illegal activity is to include an FBI warning that can't be seen in the store or while still in the packaging. It just needs to be shown every time you want to use the product, whether it was legally purchased or not.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    good one GG! (did you hear- the GOP is being sued by Heart for illegally using Barracuda? )

Red- actually I was thinking of a general compendium of different gripes... like all the new 'instructions' printed in infinitesimal fonts, on either origami-folded water-soluble rice paper or a giant wall poster, in 11 languages but containing little to no information about the actual product purchased.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by ahhaa
    like all the new 'instructions' printed in infinitesimal fonts, on either origami-folded water-soluble rice paper or a giant wall poster, in 11 languages but containing little to no information about the actual product purchased.
    THATS the one that gets me lol The font size on some of those instructions is ridiculous.

Another thing that I am starting to notice .. instructions on DVD ... for things that have no reason to be on dvd. I saw a car roof carrier with an instructional dvd. Wtf?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Lucifers_Ghost
    Another thing that I am starting to notice .. instructions on DVD ... for things that have no reason to be on dvd. I saw a car roof carrier with an instructional dvd. Wtf?
    That used to be the icing on the cake for my DVD biz. I sold several companies on adding instructional videos to their products. Most of them were a little more apt than a roof rack for a car, they were medical training like heart stent procedures for new stent technologies and such. However I did do some instructional videos for some 3M office products
    FB-DIMM are the real cause of global warming
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To some extent I can understand the hard shell plastic being used to protect the product but that tight plastic film wrap on many products like dvd's is frustrating and impossible to remove without mechanical aid.

And oh yes......my goodness, I can't count how many times I almost crashed into the car in front of me until at the last second I saw that "Baby/Child onboard" sign. This is a true life saver. Parents who don't use those signs should be imprisoned until their child is 21.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    was just looking at your tundra on Google Earth...

yeah, and they could take the .9 off gas prices any time now.

also, move the caplock key- pleez!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ahhaa
    ..also, move the caplock key- pleez!
    That I can help you with. I kept hitting the CL key when typing, so I remaped the key to the Scroll Lock key. (When's the last time you used that. ) The CL light still works, so easy to still tell if it's on or off.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-caps-lock-key-in-windows-vista/ This is a Vista site, but the registry mods work for XP and other Windows OSs. Just DL the file, unpack and run the mod you want.
    Quote Quote  
  14. What I really hate is having to wear a Long coat with a heavy metallic mesh all the way thru it! Its really heavy and so HOT in the summer...
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm.... Shoplifting anti-detection or just Gamma ray protection? Aluminum foil is lighter. But those pesky Neutrinos still get through.

Another 'favorite' form of plastic packaging is when it's held together with tabs. When you pull on the two halves to open it, the parts all go flying. Still finding those loose screws in the carpet.

Or the small sealed packages that some parts come in that have a little note to tear open at the notch. But there is no notch.

Another poster mentioned cardboard. Fairly common now is clear plastic shrink wrapped to a cardboard backing. Even scissors aren't much help there.
    Quote Quote