VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I'm looking for a way to encode a bunch of Prores files to MPEG2. I can use FFMPEGX or Adobe Media Encoder, however, this method only suports 2 channels of audio. I need to make them with 4 channels (either 2xstereo or 4xdiscrete). Does anyone know of a method to do this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I assume you mean MPEG2 video compression , but what container MPEG2-PS? MOV? MXF ? or did you mean MPEG2 Transport Stream ? (MTS, M2TS, TS)

Is this SD (e.g. IMX50) , or HD (e.g. XDCAM) ? 422 or 420 subsampling ?

You should be able to use ffmbc (CLI usage, but it has presets for XDCAM and IMX50 with 4+ channels), but it sounds like you're on a mac (I don't know if anybody has successfully compiled it for a mac)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I assume you mean MPEG2 video compression , but what container MPEG2-PS? MOV? MXF ? or did you mean MPEG2 Transport Stream ? (MTS, M2TS, TS)

You should be able to use ffmbc (CLI usage, but it has presets for XDCAM and IMX50 with 4+ channels), but it sounds like you're on a mac (I don't know if anybody has successfully compiled it for a mac)
    Yes, MPEG2 compression (4:2:2 Profile) in a MPG container. SD files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Do you have access to linux or pc ?

http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/wiki/IMXD10Encoding

There are precompiled windows binaries here
    http://code.google.com/p/ffmbc/downloads/list
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just playing devils advocate here but are you intending to make a dvd with this file? If so I'm not sure how it will respond to that kind of audio.

You should consider looking for dolby pro logic encoders for non 5.1 mixing. I don't have much experience working with it but the dvd specs want dolby ac3, pcm or dts audio on it. I'm not sure if this form of stereo you are trying to create will be fully compatible with most standard surround amplifiers.

However if you are strictly in a computer playback environment and aren't conforming to something strict like the dvd spec than it won't matter as much so long as you have a software player that will recognize the audio you throw at it.

Edit - and I don't pretend to be a total expert on this matter so if this form of stereo you are trying to convert to IS compatible with the dvd spec than you can proceed as planned. And again if you aren't making a dvd than it won't really matter.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Cooper0505 View Post
    Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    I assume you mean MPEG2 video compression , but what container MPEG2-PS? MOV? MXF ? or did you mean MPEG2 Transport Stream ? (MTS, M2TS, TS)

Yes, MPEG2 compression (4:2:2 Profile) in a MPG container. SD files.
    There is no "mpeg container". There is mpeg1 system stream, mpeg2 program stream, mpeg2 transport stream, or mp4 container.

And 4:2:2 profile is not a standard consumer profile. It is only/mainly used for master/intermediate edit files. So it really comes back to: what do you intend to do with these files?

Scott
    Quote Quote