VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there,
    Wonder if anyone would be able to help with this problem -

Basically I'm in the UK & have just bought a WDTV Media Player (Pal version).
    I've been ripping my dvds to the mkv format using MakeMKV.
    All my Region 2 dvds have been fine - correct aspect ratio & all play fine.

Now I've also got a lot of Region 1 dvds.
    These rip fine & play smoothly when tested on the pc, but when playing back via the media centre, they jerk every second.
    I'm guessing this is because the media player (for some reason) is playing the ntsc 29.997fps file at 25fps & the dropped frames are causing that slight jerk.

Avi files & vob files don't seem to have this problem, but due to the amount of R1 discs I have, I can't afford to spend 3hrs+ per disc converting to avi files & vobs tend to display at the incorrect aspect ratio (ie squished - see picture at bottom of this text for an example of how they display on the tv).

So my question is -

Is there a way to get this unit to play the ntsc mkv files correctly so there's no jerk?
    I did notice a Pal setting in one of the video menus on the unit, but I can't change it to anything else. I would have thought they'd be an Auto or Ntsc setting as well, but no amount of clicking will alter the Pal setting.

I have the unit connected to the tv via a 1.8m hdmi lead - although I can't see it being the leads fault.

Thanks.

Quote Quote  
  2. Is the frame rate in the MKV header to 23.976 (24000/1001)?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Is the frame rate in the MKV header to 23.976 (24000/1001)?
    Do you know which program I can use to find this info out?

I'm very new to this file type & the only 2 programs I have are MakeMkv & MkvMerge - this program does give other info, but nothing about the fps.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try MediaInfo.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Thanks - will report back tonight once I've given it a go.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As far as I recall the PAL/NTSC setting is only enabled when connected via the composite connector.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PICKY737
    As far as I recall the PAL/NTSC setting is only enabled when connected via the composite connector.
    I'll give that a try as well - although to be honest, I don't really want to be watching the films on a lower quality connector, but will give a test to see if that does all it to be altered.
    Quote Quote  
  8. MkvMerge will let you change the frame rate in the MKV header. Import the video, highlight the video stream, select the Format Specific Options tab, set the FPS field. Try setting it to 24000/1001 or 30000/1001. Then save as a new file.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MkvMerge will let you change the frame rate in the MKV header. Import the video, highlight the video stream, select the Format Specific Options tab, set the FPS field. Try setting it to 24000/1001 or 30000/1001. Then save as a new file.
    Now that sounds promising - will give that a try tonight as well.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, only had time for a quick test last night:

R1 disc - freshly ripped to mkv.
    Ram the mkvmerge prog, altered the fps to 30000/1001 (originally tested in media info & it was 29.997fps).

This one didn't play properly - infact the audio was well out & took around 10 secs to actually start playing - thought I broken the machine to begin with!

Also tested a H264 .mp4 video which was 23. fps - this one seemed to play ok, so at least I know these files can play properly.

So it may have just been a bad test on the R1 disc, or possibly due to the framerate.
    Will do a couple more tests over the next few days.

Thanks for the info so far though everyone
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, solved it (sort of).

If you click the HDMI section in the media players menu & select 720p 60hz (or higher res if your tv is capable), it'll play both R1 & R2 mkv rips perfectly
    Also plays mp4 24fps files fine as well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. It's very odd that changing the HDMI output setting would effect A/V sync. What was it set to originally?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's very odd that changing the HDMI output setting would effect A/V sync. What was it set to originally?
    Indeed, but as it is working I'm happy
    Although it wasn't the sync between the audio & video that was the problem - was the framerate thing (where the machine was forcing the 29fps mkv video to play at 25fps, therefore causing a jerk every second).

It was originally set on Auto.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I guess there's some firmware bug that caused it to lock the playback frame rate to 25 fps. After a while (once during each GOP maybe?) it saw the 30 fps video was falling behind and skipped a bunch of frames to catch up.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe. At least it's playing nicely now which is the main thing

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  16. i get the same problem

just go in to your WDTV and change the resolution to 1080p 60herts refresh rate. this WILL work coz i do it all the time.
    simple
    Quote Quote