VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello,

I can't seem to select a quantization higher than 16b 48k in Control Panel/Sounds. I have Windows 7/64.

I plan on digitizing vinyl via a usb interface @24b 96k. The reason I'm not capturing at 16/44.1 is because I want restore (de-click/hum etc), then down convert to cd delivery. I do a lot of video editing and it's known not to edit with a delivery mpeg-2 file, so I figured I should apply the same concept to this project. I've read many-a post on what bit-rate to capture and my head starts to spin.

My soundcard is a Focusrite Scarlett 18i6 if that helps. I have Sound Forge 12, Vegas Pro 16, Audacity, but the only program that recognizes the 2.0 usb interface is Audacity.

Thanks for any suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Settings are device dependant.

No problem here with Win7/64 and mb HD audio
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	audio_rec_scrn.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	307.5 KB
ID:	50962  

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But I should add that my USB capture card is also locked at 16b 44.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ahh, I'm currently using a ART Phono Plus usb which it's limit is 16/48. But my Focusrite soundcard is capable of 24/96. Since that's connected to the PC via usb shouldn't I be able to select higher than 16/48? But like you said about your soundcard; the Scarlett is also locked at 48k. Is this why I can't select higher?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a 'best' audio setting I can select using the app that comes with the Hauppauge. I can not test it right now since it requires a system reboot. But I do not expect it to go beyond 16/48.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    if you want to capture with your soundcard you would need to use it's direct inputs. most only have line-in so you'd need a phono pre-amp also.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I was able to do some tests with my soundcard; Yes aedipuss if I use the analog 1/8"/XLR inputs on the Focusrite and set Sound Forge to 24/96 I get a 24/96 wav file (confirmed with MediaInfo) when using a 5.1 audio BD. I still can't select that quantization in Control Panel, but I can select 16/96 now all of a sudden.

The ART Phono Plus that I'm currently using is a pre-amp, has a ground port, and has analog outputs as well as usb for computer connectivity which is what my goal is. I'm eyeing the Furutech GT40, which is also a usb pre-amp, ground port, and analog outputs as well and is capable of 24/96 where as the ART is only 16/48.

I know there are programs that allow for the RIAA eq, which means I wouldn't need the ART or Furutech for pre-amp. I could connect direct to my soundcard. But that brings up the no-ground port issue as my soundcard doesn't have one.

Before spending $500+ on the Furutech I want to make sure I can record at 24/96 via usb, and not only w/analog. Because if the only way to record @24/96 is analog I might as well keep the ART and just use the analog rca's.
    Last edited by clashradio; 26th Nov 2019 at 17:53.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    a wire from the turntable ground to the pre-amp and then to any screw on the outside of the soundcard will be fine for a ground. phone pre-amps don't have to be expensive - https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/best-affordable-phono-preamps/

a tube pre-amp would be cool though...
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, if I still used a pre-amp in the mix I wouldn't need to run a ground from the pre-amp to the soundcard, as the ground will already be in the chain via turntable to pre-amp. I was just wondering what I would do if I didn't use a pre-amp and connected direct from the turntable to soundcard. But since you said to run a ground from the pre-amp to the soundcard, maybe I could run from the turntable to the soundcard? But that option would only be if I have a program that compensates for the RIAA eq.

I tested with multiple settings (16/48, 24/96), devices (soundcard-analog + digital/video card) and programs (Audacity/Sound Forge/Vegas Pro 16) as each program recognized a different input source.

When capturing digital audio @24/96 with Audacity and export the file, I can only export @16/48 which doesn't make sense because I captured with the same program @24/96. Probably because I can't select 24/96 in Control Panel?

I can capture analog @24/96 with Sound Forge/soundcard via 1/8" inputs and save as 24/96.

I can capture digital @24/96 with Audacity/video card via s/pdif coaxial, but only save 16/48. Even when I select "other uncompressed files".

I can capture digital @16/48 with Vegas Pro 16/soundcard via s/pdif. I can possibly record digital 24/96 with this set-up but my card won't record digital audio from a factory disc.

I think one thing would help if I can get a drop-down option of 24/96 in Win7 Control Panel/Sounds
    Quote Quote