VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have several video clips taken with my Canon MVX430 MiniDV camera in widescreen mode (720x576). When I play them back in WMP, it correctly shows them in 16:9.

However, when I play them in other players (e.g. VLC, BS Player), they are shown as squashed 4:3. Any idea why this is happening?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A clue: in WMP > Properties under Aspect Ratio it says '4:3 actual, 16:9 displayed'

Can anyone explain?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did you transfer them to your computer or capture them? Your camera can record in 4:3 or 16:9, so you will need to ensure you actually used 16:9. Also, according to the manual (p. 75), the camera records video at 320x240 or 160x120.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Krispy Kritter
    Did you transfer them to your computer or capture them? Your camera can record in 4:3 or 16:9, so you will need to ensure you actually used 16:9. Also, according to the manual (p. 75), the camera records video at 320x240 or 160x120.
    I captured them using the capture tool in Vegas. I have definitely recorded in 16:9, at 720x576. The part in the manual on p75 only refers to recording to memory card, not tape.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's simply because WMP is savvy enough to know when a DV AVI file is widescreen or not. Older versions of WMP (9 and earlier) do not display the correct AR either.

Microsoft's DV decoder puts the right information into the media sample that it sends WMP for each frame. WMP bothers to read this information whereas other media players don't.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I couldn't find any other references to resolutions used by that camera. Aside from that, since you are capturing and not transferring, it's irrelevant anyway. Your capture program should be setting the AR flag within the files.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, what is the difference between transferring and capturing? I thought it was the same thing.
    Quote Quote  
  8. They mean the same thing. Some people argue one is correct and the other isn't and the other way around. Others say "importing", too.

Basically, they both mean getting the video from the camcorder to the computer.

Don't worry about which is "correct" and which isn't. It's like discussing politics and religion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wasn't implying one was "correct".

Transferring implies moving the file from a device to the PC. Like copying pictures from a digital camera.

Capturing would be the process of playing the video on the camera and recording it on the PC.

Aside from that, most cameras come with software for getting the pictures/video from a camera onto a PC. Have you tried the offical software? It will at least rule out software as cause of the problem.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote