VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Hello everyone, Is there a list of video8/Hi8 camcorders (Not Digital8) that have the ability to record analog video to tape from its composite video input, I'm experimenting with a PCM adapter to transfer some CD's to tape, VHS and Beta are very common video formats for recording PCM digital audio but never heard of Video8 and want to try it.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    If you find a Video/Hi8 camera with a composite input, then it will be able to record from it. That's what a tape recorder input is for.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    If you find a Video/Hi8 camera with a composite input, then it will be able to record from it. That's what a tape recorder input is for.
    You can't tell if it's input or output, and most sellers that sell them don't know either, that's why I opened up a thread hoping that someone may have an idea of which models are capable of recording. I know some models do so but they can only record digital 8 so that kind of defeats the purpose.
    Quote Quote  
  4. A composite video input won't record audio from a CD player. You need line level audio inputs (usually a 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo pin plug). Of course a camcorder with composite input will usually have audio inputs too. The camcorder probably won't record anything without valid composite video input, so you'll probably need a composite video source to go along with your CD audio. And even then, you won't have an exact copy of what's on the CD. The CD audio will have gone through a digital-to-analog conversion in the CD player, then an analog-to-digital conversion in the camcorder. Why not must rip the audio CD to get an exact copy of the digital data?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    A composite video input won't record audio from a CD player. You need line level audio inputs (usually a 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo pin plug). Of course a camcorder with composite input will usually have audio inputs too. The camcorder probably won't record anything without valid composite video input, so you'll probably need a composite video source to go along with your CD audio. And even then, you won't have an exact copy of what's on the CD. The CD audio will have gone through a digital-to-analog conversion in the CD player, then an analog-to-digital conversion in the camcorder. Why not must rip the audio CD to get an exact copy of the digital data?
    Jagabo you're going to have to do some reading buddy, look up PCM adapter on wiki.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by dellsam34 View Post
    A composite video input won't record audio from a CD player. You need line level audio inputs (usually a 2.5 or 3.5 mm stereo pin plug). Of course a camcorder with composite input will usually have audio inputs too. The camcorder probably won't record anything without valid composite video input, so you'll probably need a composite video source to go along with your CD audio. And even then, you won't have an exact copy of what's on the CD. The CD audio will have gone through a digital-to-analog conversion in the CD player, then an analog-to-digital conversion in the camcorder. Why not must rip the audio CD to get an exact copy of the digital data?
    Jagabo you're going to have to do some reading buddy, look up PCM adapter on wiki.
    Maybe you should read up on it yourself.

The PCM adapter was developed in 1977. Then the audio CD came out in 1982 as an ideal method of permanently storing PCM audio data, thus beginning the end of the PCM adapter. Then Digital Audio Tape technology that came out in 1987 made it possible to easily record/erase/re-record digital audio on tape, and finished rendering the PCM adapter completely obsolete. So in only ten years, the PCM adapter lived and died. And now that digital audio can easily be processed, recorded, stored, etc. using computers or even your phone, even DAT tapes have been obsolete for over 10 years.

So the bigger question here would be this:

Why are you "experimenting" with a technology (the PCM adapter) that has been obsolete for 30 years, and trying to record on media (8mm video tape) that has been obsolete for over 10 years?
    Do or do not. There is no "try." - Yoda
    Quote Quote  
  7. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by awgie View Post

The PCM adapter was developed in 1977. Then the audio CD came out in 1982 as an ideal method of permanently storing PCM audio data, thus beginning the end of the PCM adapter. Then Digital Audio Tape technology that came out in 1987 made it possible to easily record/erase/re-record digital audio on tape, and finished rendering the PCM adapter completely obsolete. So in only ten years, the PCM adapter lived and died. And now that digital audio can easily be processed, recorded, stored, etc. using computers or even your phone, even DAT tapes have been obsolete for over 10 years.

So the bigger question here would be this:

Why are you "experimenting" with a technology (the PCM adapter) that has been obsolete for 30 years, and trying to record on media (8mm video tape) that has been obsolete for over 10 years?
    Dude I listen to losselss audio and watch video on 65" UHD OLED, keep that home work you did on google for yourself, It's called hobby, I don't need a VCR, CD's, DCC, 8 track, turntable ....etc, But I have them and experiment with them. It is not your fu&%$ng business what I do. The threads are meant to help members to achieve what they want to do, not to question why they want to do it.
    Last edited by dellsam34; 22nd Mar 2017 at 06:22.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I bought the Canon UCS1 from ebay it was so cheap that it's worth risking trying it, It has composite and S-video I'm hoping that those ports serve as input/output based on how they are hooked up and the camcorder should detect them accordingly like most Hi8 and Digital8 camcorders do, I will see how it goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Dude I listen to losselss audio and watch video on 65" UHD OLED, keep that home work you did on google for yourself, It's called hobby, I don't need a VCR, CD's, DCC, 8 track, turntable ....etc, But I have them and experiment with them for fun purposes not for entertainment, piss off now. Jees this forum is full of 5th graders.
    ... said the guy with the 5th grade attitude.

Yes, this forum is to help members achieve what they want to do, but for us to do that, it helps to understand why you are trying to do something, in addition to what you are trying to do. Your attitude is not conducive to getting people to help you.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    but for us to do that, it helps to understand why you are trying to do something
    dellsam34 simply asked for a list...

Is there a list of video8/Hi8 camcorders (Not Digital8) that have the ability to record analog video to tape from its composite video input
    ... so if you cant help providing one, then why are you here?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    dude i listen to losselss audio and watch video on 65" uhd oled, keep that home work you did on google for yourself, it's called hobby, i don't need a vcr, cd's, dcc, 8 track, turntable ....etc, but i have them and experiment with them for fun purposes not for entertainment, piss off now. Jees this forum is full of 5th graders.
    ... Said the guy with the 5th grade attitude.

Yes, this forum is to help members achieve what they want to do, but for us to do that, it helps to understand why you are trying to do something, in addition to what you are trying to do. Your attitude is not conducive to getting people to help you.
    it is non of your business what i do, and no with your little brain you can't even help yourself.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    Sorry, I somehow missed his mention of using a PCM adapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    it is non of your business what i do, and no with your little brain you can't even help yourself.
    When you ask questions in a forum, you make it other people's business. And if you can't be more respectful, then don't ask questions.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    When you ask questions in a forum, you make it other people's business. And if you can't be more respectful, then don't ask questions.
    Members who are dedicated to help in this forum like Jagabo and JVraines don't ask stupid questions like yours, In the other hand trolls like you who ruin the course of threads like this that otherwise would have been beneficial to other members should be cleaned up from the forum.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by awgie View Post
    When you ask questions in a forum
    And what exactly did dellsam34 ask...?
    I'll give you a clue...
    It begins with "Is there a list of video8/Hi8 camcorders (Not Digital8)...", and ends with "...that have the ability to record analog video to tape from its composite video input".
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Members who are dedicated to help in this forum like Jagabo and JVraines don't ask stupid questions like yours, In the other hand trolls like you who ruin the course of threads like this that otherwise would have been beneficial to other members should be cleaned up from the forum.
    I decided to think long and hard before responding to your rant. You see, I wanted to explain to you how your attitude affected the outcome of the situation, without stooping to your level of immaturity myself.

I actually enjoy going out of my way to help people. I enjoy digging for hard-to-find answers, and I get a deep sense of satisfaction if I can help solve someone's problem. I don't care if it takes a great deal of effort on my part. I asked why you were doing what you were doing because I wanted a better concept of exactly what you were trying to accomplish - beyond your original "point A to point B" question.

You could have answered very simply, "it's a hobby", and that would have been enough for me. I would have been happy to spend hours trying to find an answer for you.

But instead of answering me respectfully, you chose to use profanity - telling me "none of your fu&%$ng business", and "piss off now", and refer to me as a "5th grader" (all of which you have conveniently edited out of your comments since then, but I still have the email notifications with your original comments). It was your foul language and negative responses that ruined the course of the thread, not my asking you why you were trying to accomplish what you were doing. Consequently, I no longer have any desire to help you. It would feel something like trying to save the life of a grizzly bear whose only desire is to bite my head off. I just don't foresee any satisfaction at the end of it.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    I'm glad that I'm done with you.
    Quote Quote