VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I want to video document my weight loss. I bought a Sony Z1 on eBay. I don't want to play-back my mini-dv tapes using my Z1 camcorder to record and capture video on my Mac in Final Cut Pro, because of the wear-and-tear on my camcorder. So can I buy a used Sony DV camcorder on eBay to do this (they go for about £50), or would I lose the video quality if it's only dv and therefore I have to buy an hdv for playback (as I'm going to shoot in hdv on Z1). Sorry if this is a dumb question; I'm a regular girl with zero experience of video recording. I hope my question makes sense. Thanks, Faye
    Quote Quote  
  2. You need an HDV player or camcorder to play HDV tapes. But the Z1 is a pretty rugged machine, go ahead and use it for playback.
    Any particular reason you chose to go with the Z1 rather than a more modern camera? Even something like the AX33 is comparable to ebay prices.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    smrpix, thanks for replying. I know zip-zero about camcorders, so I went with what an expert advised (which was Z1). I think it cost me about £400 on eBay. I had no idea about the logistics of then getting the video on my mini dv-tapes onto my mac. Someone said don't use my Z1 for playback (something to do with the heads getting worn and drum hours). So I was hoping if I shot in hdv on my Z1, I could use a cheap £50 dv-camcorder for playback of the mini-dv tapes and not lose the quality. From what you're saying, that's not the case; i.e. it must be an hdv camcorder as well.
    Quote Quote