VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. If I use IEEE 1394 Firewire cable 4 to 6 pin to transfer*DV video tapes to computer, does*higher quality cable improve*"picture" quality than stock cable since my target is PC ?

There are many companies selling this cable at high cost and say improve picture. However I experienced little with power source but seems my Panasonic NV-DV 2000 doesn't make any different.

Anyone know for sure ? And thank you for answering.
    Quote Quote  
  2. For all practical purposes, no. You're transferring 1s and 0s.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    For all practical purposes, no. You're transferring 1s and 0s.
    I heard same thing with HDMI! After experince from DVD or Blu ray to TV there is much improvement both V&A with high quality cable.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Kmroc View Post
    Originally Posted by smrpix View Post
    I heard same thing with HDMI! After experince from DVD or Blu ray to TV there is much improvement both V&A with high quality cable.
    HDMI is more complex. But it sounds like you know the answer you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Kmroc View Post
    If I use IEEE 1394 Firewire cable 4 to 6 pin to transfer*DV video tapes to computer, does*higher quality cable improve*"picture" quality than stock cable since my target is PC ?
    If by "quality" you mean "any picture at all," then yes. I have had FireWire cables that just didn't work with some equipment and I never bothered to find out why.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    If I use IEEE 1394 Firewire cable 4 to 6 pin to transfer*DV video tapes to computer, does*higher quality cable improve*"picture" quality than stock cable since my target is PC ?
    If by "quality" you mean "any picture at all," then yes. I have had FireWire cables that just didn't work with some equipment and I never bothered to find out why.
    I meant by "quality" is improve/more: color, sharpness, resolution, brightness, .... .
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Impossible, unless the cable is producing so many errors that there is no longer enough bandwidth to transmit the data in real time a cable with have ZERO difference in quality through any kind of digital video.

When a HDMI cable isn't good enough to transmit a picture it's not color, sharpness, resolution or brightness that you lose, entire sections of the screen simply cease to exist. If you think you're seeing anything else then it's simple placebo effect.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    firewire cables either work properly or not at all. there is no in between. you can have an intermittent short where you can bend the cable one way and it works and the other where it won't but that's just a bad connection and it would be time to throw out that cable.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by JVRaines View Post
    I meant by "quality" is improve/more: color, sharpness, resolution, brightness, .... .
    Then the answer is "no." What comes over the cable is a steam of digital data: ones and zeroes. Uncorrected errors will result in gross artifacts or a failed transfer.
    Quote Quote  
  10. A Member since June, 2004 Keyser's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    While there's people willing to pay US$ 15000 (that's right!) for a HDMI cable, the manufacturers will say anything! The bitter truth, however, is that a US$ 15000 cable gives you EXACTLY the same video and audio quality as a US$ 15 one.
    "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    While there's people willing to pay US$ 15000 (that's right!) for a HDMI cable, the manufacturers will say anything! The bitter truth, however, is that a US$ 15000 cable gives you EXACTLY the same video and audio quality as a US$ 15 one.
    If I'd paid $15,000 for a cable, I'd see an improvement in quality too. I'm make damn sure I saw it! And I wouldn't let anyone tell me I wasn't seeing it!
    Quote Quote  
  12. After experince from DVD or Blu ray to TV there is much improvement both V&A with high quality cable.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by essay View Post
    After experince from DVD or Blu ray to TV there is much improvement both V&A with high quality cable.
    You mean HDMI! Because Im not aware firewire output from DVD bluray.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Capturing Memories dellsam34's Avatar
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by essay View Post
    After experince from DVD or Blu ray to TV there is much improvement both V&A with high quality cable.
    Yes you are correct, Better snake oil quality.
    Quote Quote