VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I need to replace the camcorder I use for making Youtube videos. The old one was a Sony HDR SR8E. I haven't even looked at the consumer end of the market since I bought it, so I'm not sure what's out there.
    The old camera, though advertised as "full HD", wasn't really, in my opinion. It records in 1440X1080, but squeezed, so it looks normal when stretched out to 1920, which most editors do automatically, so you may never realise that they sold you fake pixels! It also only recorded at 50i, with no option to go progressive at half FPS. (50 or 60 progressive would be preffered)
    I'm not looking for top-end. This is for Youtube. As long as it has better resolution than the HDR-SR8E did. Ie: TRUE HD, a true night shot mode. (one where the IR filter is physically moved out of the way, with a mechanical switch) and doesn't cost the earth, I'm happy.
    50 - 60p, a less aggressive codec, and solid state storage are all bonuses too. Though, I assume that SD card based models use really heavy compression, since consumers pay for pixels, not for quality. I assume that night-shot was dropped as a feature somewhere along the way, so they could keep shrinking the cameras, but the night shot mode is the dealbreaker. That's all I need other than to at least match the image quality of the old camera.
    Something that records fairly decent progressive full HD onto micro SD will do just fine. I guess if anyone is still putting night shot switches on cameras, it's gonna be Sony, right?
    Any suggestions?

Edit. I just noticed that even very cheap SD card camcorders are now using XAVCS at 50Mbps. That's a far better state of affairs than I'd been expecting. But...nothing seems to have night shot anymore! All I can find are versions of normal cheap camcorders that some shady "ghost hunting" club or other is selling at a markup, having ripped out the IR filter, and ruined for daytime use. Is it even LEGAL to do that, then put a sticker with your name on it over the top of the original manufacturer's logo? Anyways...Hacked camcorders are not an option. I need to use this in the daytime too.
    Last edited by micklos; 4th Feb 2017 at 01:26.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Nevermind. I decided to go second hand and just grab something. I got a Sony FDR-AXP33 for pretty much the same money I paid for the HDR-SR8E -- also second hand, but I got a year's warranty with the new camera. It also seems far more robust. I wasn't aware that 4k had enetrated so far into the consumer end of things, and that the prices had already gotten so low. I guess, mobile phones are forcing camcorders to give more camera for the money.
    Anyways...if someone wants to close this thread, feel free.
    Quote Quote