VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, people! I used to have a Canon elura 60 NTSC with the classic remove the cassette error, I am planning on buying a used camera to transfer all my old DV tapes to my computer, my question is... If I use the firewire connection as it is a digital signal, will a lose quality if I use a different Video Camera from the one that I had to play the tapes? Any Brand you would like to recommend. thanks in advance!!! . Joe.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no. it's digital on the tape. as long as the new cam can play the tape it is exactly the same as what would transfer off the original cam.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Not necessarily. A camera that doesn't track as well will conceal errors in a way that can degrade picture quality. Dave Rice has created software to analyze and display concealed errors in captured DV files.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks aedipuss!!!! I know there are a lot a brands out there but, any you prefer?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    JVRaines, thanks for your comment! I will keep that in mind when I buy the camera.
    Last edited by joejoe; 25th Sep 2016 at 19:52.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DV avi has error correction built into the stream. errors can't be "concealed", the are either corrected or not. you either get the image as recorded or you get a dropout, there is no in between.

if you used a canon to record with i'd stick with the same brand as the tape transports will be closer to the original.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    DV avi has error correction built into the stream. errors can't be "concealed", the are either corrected or not. you either get the image as recorded or you get a dropout, there is no in between.
    Please read the page I linked, written by a professional video archivist:

As the deck reads tape-based data it utilizes parity data to ensure that the tape is being read correctly. Parity data acts as a secondary data source to be referenced if the primary data is damaged or unreadable. If the data is read improperly and cannot be recovered in the very short amount of time that the deck has to read that section, then the deck will note and write into the file the use of concealment and the strategy applied to the dv stream that is output from the deck.

Strategies employed to conceal the missing video data include:

Type “2” or “A”: Replace area with the same corresponding pixels of the previous frame (most common).
    Type “4” or “C”: Replace area with the same corresponding pixels of the next frame.
    Type “6” or “E”: Unspecified concealment
    Type “F”: This typically manifests as groups of grey blocks appearing where the pixels should be.

The letters here represent the hexadecimal value used in the dv stream to categorize error concealment strategies. These values are written into the file and can be parsed out in order to determine exactly where errors are occurring and how they are being handled.
    Quote Quote