VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It has been a really long time since I bought a video camera. My last camcorder was a Sony DCR-TRV350 Hi8. Still works great too. But I want to get something that can film in 1080P quality now that has zoom capabilities (I have a sports cam, but it's fixed at 170 degrees). The problem I have run into is that I can't find a consumer level camera with a viewfinder. I don't know who came up with this idea of LCD screens (only) for video cameras, but I have a few choice words for them.

Here a couple questions.

1. Are modern P&S cameras that can do both pictures and video as good as a dedicated camcorder? I see a lot of cameras that look like DSLRs (but are actually Point and Shoots), that boast of HD video and have zoomable lenses up to 60x optical, and I can actually find very few models of real Camcorders anymore (so maybe there is no need for them anymore). What are the pros and cons (if any) of these form factors when it comes to video.

2. Is their a decent consumer level camcorder that has a viewfinder (eyepiece)? When I do a search, I find cameras in the $900 and up range. I do not consider that "Consumer level". That is budget pro level at that price (at best). Consumer level in my opinion would be $300 or less. Heck I bought a DBpower SJ4000 Sports cam for $60 that takes astounding HD 1080p video. Surly I don't have to spend a grand, just to get a viewfinder and a zoomable lens.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Posted: Thu, 08/18/2016 - 5:38pm
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    1. No

2. No

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    1. No

2. No

Scott
    Why?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had a Nikon P&S a few years ago. It had a viewfinder which turned out to be a very small LCD display. It worked very well.
    I don't understand why all P&S or especially video cameras don't have this option. Maybe cost, but I liked it.
    I am probably old fashioned, but I guess I still prefer some type of 'viewfinder' instead of a side mounted video screen, or even better, both.

I don't know of any cameras for your request, but maybe someone here can find a camcorder or a P&S camera or a DSLR that has a viewfinder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz View Post
    I had a Nikon P&S a few years ago. It had a viewfinder which turned out to be a very small LCD display. It worked very well.
    I don't understand why all P&S or especially video cameras don't have this option. Maybe cost, but I liked it.
    I am probably old fashioned, but I guess I still prefer some type of 'viewfinder' instead of a side mounted video screen, or even better, both.

I don't know of any cameras for your request, but maybe someone here can find a camcorder or a P&S camera or a DSLR that has a viewfinder.
    Thanks. I agree. For filming and photography, a viewfinder it the way to go. LCDs are good for reviewing onsite, not for composing a shot. Not sure why manufacturers have left them out of newer consumer cameras. Better is Better, whether it is old or new.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay. What do ya'll think about the Panasonic FZ1000? It looks like an amazing camera a great price and probably the only video camera I can get with a viewfinder for under $1000. I was looking at FZ200, but after watching many videos comparing them, there is a huge difference in between them in terms of final product, both in pictures and video. It's not even close. From what I have seen I could replace my Pentax K-r with this one camera and have much better stills. It's more then what I wanted to spend, but if I sell off my K-r kit and lenses, I could afford it. What's your opinion?
    Quote Quote