VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought a 40" Philips LED TV. Everything is great, except in certain situations. For example, during the Grammy's last night, there were times where the side of someone's face onstage would be blue. When they would pan into the audience, there were large areas of blue.

On other show too, same problem. A lot of stuff showing up blue. This is while viewing with satelite. (SD, not HD).

Any ideas? It seems it only happens when the scene is a little dark. I've tried playing with the settings, but nothing helped.
  2. Turn off all the auto contrast, brightness, "picture enhancement, etc. settings and manually calibrate. I don't know how blue your dark areas are, but a blue tinge in black areas is common with LCDs.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Turn off all the auto contrast, brightness, "picture enhancement, etc. settings and manually calibrate. I don't know how blue your dark areas are, but a blue tinge in black areas is common with LCDs.
    Extremely blue. Neon blue. I'll play around with the settings more. Then I suppose I'll call Philips. I fear that may be a giant headache.

I searched for settings (you can find a lot of "optimal settings" scattered around in other forums) but nothing for this model. I think it's a fairly new model.
    Extremely blue. Neon blue. I'll play around with the settings more.
    Also see if there's a firmware update. What input are you using? HDMI, component, s-video, composite? Try another to see if there's any difference. Also try another source like a DVD player, VHS deck, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Right now I'm using a composite cable. And I upgraded the firmware last night. That didn't help any.
    I have a USB port on the TV that plays videos, and the 20 minutes or so that I tried that out, I didn't seem to have the "blue problem."

I will be getting some component cables to connect to the satellite box. I hope that eleminates the problem.
  6. Note when I say it's normal for LCDs to have a blue tinge in their blacks I mean something like the bluish bars in the lower part of this image compared to the pure gray bars in the top (and the pure black background):

Click image for larger version

Name:	blue.png
Views:	546
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	5626
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, mine is 10X that. I mean really blue. The upgade from coax to composite cables didn't help, but hopefully component cables will.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Even if changing to component cables fixes the problem, do you really want to keep the TV? I'd return it.
    Or if in warranty, insist they calibrate it.

I once disputed my Visa payment until Philips calibrated a new HD Ready CRT. For the record, they did an excellent calibration job.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Even if changing to component cables fixes the problem, do you really want to keep the TV? I'd return it.
    Or if in warranty, insist they calibrate it.

I once disputed my Visa payment until Philips calibrated a new HD Ready CRT. For the record, they did an excellent calibration job.
    I just bought it yesterday. I'm going to give Philips C.S. a chance over the phone. If not, I'll exchange it at Sam's.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As a quick test, use your composite/audio cables as component cables. See if you still get the blues.
    Are they the same (other than the color coding)? I have like 3 sets of the composite cables. I'll try it tonight.
  13. The red and white RCA cables may not have as much bandwidth as the yellow video cable but for standard def they'll probably work. At least well enough to see if component is going to give you the same problems as composite. I would use the yellow cable for component green (it also carries the sync signals so it's most important).

If this was a floor model or a return, see if there's a factory reset.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Seems defective by the description.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Seems defective by the description.
    Yep, I just spent 30 minutes on the phone w/ Philips. I will exchange it where I bought it tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice on this guys. I'll let you know how the new one fares.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I am extremely disappointed. New TV, same EXACT results. I really like this TV otherwise. So few in this price range that have USB ports that play VIDEO. This one does nicely. Also, I hooked up the DVD player w/ HDMI and it looked OUTSTANDING. Too bad the satellite pic doesn't look too good. I will hook my old TV up and watch the same stuff that I know produces some of the blue affect to make sure my sat. box didn't JUST NOW start having problems.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166

Many reviews talk about bluish blacks with Philips HDTVs:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/philips-32pfl8404h-32pfl8404-20100105162.htm

Regarding play videos via USB: pick up a media player like the Western Digital WDTV Live Plus for about US$100. Then you won't be limited in choice of TVs. And the player will be much more versatile than what most TVs can do (for TVs it's one little extra feature, for a media player it's the main purpose of the device).
    Last edited by jagabo; 15th Feb 2011 at 18:28.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I had planned to get a Roku, but holding off because of reports of Netflix issues the past 2 weeks.
    It's nice to have the USB option right on the TV.

Philips 40PFL7505D/F7
    Last edited by micallen; 15th Feb 2011 at 18:36.
    Search Comp PM
    Any chance after a "break-in" period it may improve ?
    Search Comp PM
    What model is it? You should look at AvsForum.com -- they have lots of model specific threads.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=166
    I'm doing a lot of reading over there now. Thanks for the heads up.
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I took the second one back, and got a refund. I ordered an LG 42LD550 from a place called Audioholics for $599.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Got the new LG TV yesterday. So far, I'm impressed. The P.Q. is just better. And no odd color issues with this TV. The USB port recognized my 500GB WD HD and plays movies (plus music and pix). The SD movies I have all play great. The HD (720) movies I have (MP4 and MKV) look fantastic, but the audio is unsupported. i haven't tried any of the Netcast features yet. I plan to run an ethernet cable under the house to the living room soon.

I get an HD satellite box Sunday. I can really check it then.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds good. Now we know the problem wasn't your eyeballs! LOL
    Yeah, I'm guessing there was a bad batch of them at that Sam's.