VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    I've been smoothly enjoying VCDEasy for awhile now, but recently had a few major problems which I think might be related...

Ok, I usually do authoring and burning of VCD's, SVCD's, DVD's and Hybrid enhanced discs on W2k. For authoring I use either Pinnacle DVDImpressionPro or Maestro (DVD) or VCDEasy/VCDTlkt/Nero (VCD), with occasional exceptions. For burning, I have been doing most things either through the authoring app, or especially with Hybrids--through Nero.
    My burner is Pioneer A04 (Internal IDE). Enough of the background.

Lately, Nero will still do fine with DVDs and DVDonCD, but with (S)VCD it will work one day and not the next, and then work again a few days later. When it doesn't work, it says
    Code:
    "Bad Parameter. Could not perform start of Disc At Once"
    (I often will successfully use Nero to burn the BIN/CUE Image).

So I tried directly from VCDEasy, similar message.
    Also tried to hook up an HP8200e External USB burner, but nothing recognizes it a a burner on W2k.

So I took the BIN/CUE files to a laptop that has 98SE and hooked up the HP burner to it, DL'd the most recent Nero demo. It successfully burned there!!
    BUT NO!!...
    These discs aren't recognized as discs AT ALL in settop player, are only occasionally on PC's.

The only thing I could think of was that the CUE file had bad settings--something to do with the VCD having chapter/entrypoints.
    So I made a nearly identical structure from within Nero, but without the chapters (obviously since Nero doesn't support that), burned it...
    SUCCESS!!

So, what does this mean? Anybody had similar problems? Solutions/Workarounds?
    I'd still like to do hybrid discs w/ autorun and chapters if possible.

TIA,
    Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    More Info:

Took the laptop home last night,
    Hooked it up to my Yamaha CR-F1, burned same VCDEasy discimage as before. Burned OK...

Works perfectly! Chapters, PC Autorun and ALL!

Ok, now was it just iffy burners? (HP) or bad/complicated cue sheet? or both? or neither?

Anybody?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'd guess it's probably a burner issue. I have an older internal 8200-series CD-RW, and it doesn't work very well in DAO/SAO mode. TAO works fine, though. It may be possible to update the firmware, but I know that HP bought the drive mechanisms for the model I have from at least two different manufacturers (one high quality, one low quality, both with the same DAO problem). I haven't worried about it because that machine normally only burns data discs anyway, and I've burned hundreds of those with no problem.
    Quote Quote