VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,
    Trying in capture video VirtualDub(1.10.4) and output in 2GB segmented AVI format.
    I setup the spill system setup by default.
    [Attachment 48231 - Click to enlarge]

My first AVI segment is 1.85GB. This is OK.
    But the second AVI segment is 4.33GB. This is over the 2GB limit.

Is there problem with my setting ? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    On the top menu bar click "Capture", then in the drop-down menu click "Enable multisegment capture".
    Capturing With VirtualDub [Settings Guide]

Why are doing this? Multisgment capture involves a lot of editing headaches.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 1st Mar 2019 at 06:32.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Double post. Sorry.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    On the top menu bar click "Capture", then in the drop-down menu click "Enable multisegment capture".
    Capturing With VirtualDub [Settings Guide]

Why are doing this? Multisgment capture involves a lot of editing headaches.
    It's Win XP FAT32 and max file size is 4GB. Premiere 6.5 can do segmented AVI.
    I know XP on Intel Core 2 Duo is antique.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    So what? It works better than the newer stuff for capture.
    Why someone built an XP system as Fat32 is puzzling. XP can work with NTSF.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So what? It works better than the newer stuff for capture.
    Why someone built an XP system as Fat32 is puzzling. XP can work with NTSF.
    Thanks.
    I just check his XP system. It's NTFS. So, no need for segmented capture. Some of his Premiere movie capture files are >12GB.
    Using VirtualDub to capture AVI but video playback isn't smooth. Using the bundle software to capture MPEG2, and its playback is OK.
    Premiere can take mpeg2 so consider a solution for HD video cam to DVD on a XP system.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    There's no info about capture device and let me guess further, there's no line tbc and no frame sync tbc, no input level control, and so forth. Either way, in other words it's another case of not knowing how to get lossless capture and ending up turning VHS into typical noisy garbage. No NLE should ever be used to capture VHS. Why bother? You'd be better off getting a cheap used DVD recorder. Let the lossy crowd handle this one, the videos will look too ugly to waste time discussing. I pass.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 2nd Mar 2019 at 04:20.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by pchan View Post
    Using VirtualDub to capture AVI but video playback isn't smooth.
    This is usually just a matter of getting VirtualDub configured correctly. Use a fast lossless video codec like huffyuv. Don't compress the audio. Don't let VirtualDub play the audio while capturing. Capture to an internal drive that's not the boot drive. Turn off the "resync" options in the Capture -> Timing dialog. Check for all the usual dropped frame issues:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/104098-Why-does-your-system-drop-frames
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/112800-Why-does-your-system-have-audio-video-sync-issues
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's no info about capture device and let me guess further, there's no line tbc and no frame sync tbc, no input level control, and so forth. Either way, in other words it's another case of not knowing how to get lossless capture and ending up turning VHS into typical noisy garbage. No NLE should ever be used to capture VHS. Why bother? You'd be better off getting a cheap used DVD recorder. Let the lossy crowd handle this one, the videos will look too ugly to waste time discussing. I pass.
    I started this thread on this HDMI-USB2 capture device.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/392190-USB2-HDMI-Video-Capture-Sony-HD-Video-Cam-to-PC-transfer
    Cost about US$15. Not a good device but good enough to get video footage from HD video cam to PC.
    It comes bundle with honestech capture software to MPEG2. Use premiere to edit mpeg2 footage.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Using VirtualDub to capture AVI but video playback isn't smooth.
    This is usually just a matter of getting VirtualDub configured correctly. Use a fast lossless video codec like huffyuv. Don't compress the audio. Don't let VirtualDub play the audio while capturing. Capture to an internal drive that's not the boot drive. Turn off the "resync" options in the Capture -> Timing dialog. Check for all the usual dropped frame issues:

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/104098-Why-does-your-system-drop-frames
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/112800-Why-does-your-system-have-audio-video-sync-issues
    Thanks.
    I did use huffyuv codec to capture.
    Quote Quote