VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I tried ripping two different titles from a DVD and each of them ripped but when I play them back the image is pixelated and doesn't go back to normal. I didn't see any settings anywhere to change the system options or anything. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

Appreciate the replies!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vob2mpg doesn't do any encoding. there are no settings. all it does is take the mpg out of the vob wrapper.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vob2mpg is not a ripper. It just remuxes/changes the dvd tracks to mpg files.

You must rip with something like dvdfab or install a background dvd ripper/decrypter like anydvd, dvdfab passkey. Then use vob2mpg.
    Quote Quote  
  4. So the file that VOB2MPG produced that I can play in Media Player was not a rip? It showed the video, although pixelated, and the audio was fine. Basically what I was looking to do was create mpg or other file type copies of my DVDs, which is what this software did, except the result was pixelated.

So are you saying I should rip the VOB files with another program and then use this one to convert them into mpgs? If that is the case, why was I able to create mpg files directly from the DVD itself?

Is there a way to create mpgs directly from the DVD that are not pixelated?
    Quote Quote  
  5. to join several mpg files...

on MacOSX & linux,

enim@user$ cat file1.mpg file2.mpg > filejoined.mpg

on Windows, try...

1. Open a blank text file.
    2. Type copy /b *.mpg FullMovie.mpg
    3. Save the file with a .Bat extension.
    4. Save the text file as Joiner.Bat in a same directory where you have several mpg files from VOB2MPG.
    5. Double click the Joiner.Bat file.

A combined file named FullMovie.mpg is created from all the mpg files in the folder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The files on the dvd disk are copy-protected. Vob2mpg will attempt to convert those to mpg but CANNOT defeat the copy-protection so you end up with distorted video or the pixilation that you see.

Follow the advice as given as firstly RIP the files from the disk - do NOT simply copy/paste them - to your HDD. That process WILL remove the copy-protection and then you can use Vob2mpg to make a mpg WITHOUT pixelation.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Reread my post.

Quote Quote  
  8. So ripping means copying the files from the DVD and removing copy protection? I thought it just meant copying them from the DVD into a file that was playable by you computer.

I was able to rip them into files I can use with another player. I will keep VOB2MPG in mind if I need to convert them into mpeg files.

Thanks for helping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newtable View Post
    So ripping means copying the files from the DVD and removing copy protection.
    The traditional meaning of the word is just that. A 1:1 copy of the files and no c/p.

Originally Posted by newtable View Post
    I thought it just meant copying them from the DVD into a file that was playable by you computer.
    Generally, as you subsequently did, that is a 're-encode' since the video/audio codecs have changed.

Like all terms, it has evolved and you now see the term 'DVDRip' which combines a standard RIP with a re-encode.
    Quote Quote