+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to somnus, here are some custom matrices for you to try:

http://software.badgerit.com/Releases/Matrices.zip

Usage:

Just setup in SVCD2DVD Settings:

Here are the comments from somnus:

Here's a start to some matrices people can use I put 7 in the folder most people will probably only use a couple. I have them label for what bitrate they should be good at except for QLB, but it works good for me around 2000-2500. The high bitrates will work good for 4000+ files which would probably be Divx and Xvids or HD streams, wouldnt be usefull for pal to ntsc mpg conversion but the others around the 2500 range would be. I can add a lot more for whoever wants to try different ones, everyone seems to have thier own opinion what looks good.

Oh and I included to Test matrices I extracted from the movies Tombstone and Indiana Jones and the last crusade. The indy I believe is for heavy compresion. While the Tombstone should probably be good for higher bitrates.
    SVCD2DVD v2.5, AVI/MPEG/HDTV/AviSynth/h264->DVD, PAL->NTSC conversion.
    VOB2MPG PRO, Extract mpegs from your DVDs - with you in control!
    Quote Quote  
  2. & be sure to checkmark "use the following matrices"...LOL
    Guess who forgot to?
    Quote Quote  
  3. what are matrices and what benifits are realized from their use? I have never heard of them before and totaly clueless on their use. I am unable to find any info on matrices anywhere.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    matrices are basically filters that help video compressibility by getting rid of detail determined by the values. Thats not a full detailed description but should be simple enough to give you the idea of what they are. The basically can help improve the encoding quality if the correct one is used.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You mean, if I get rid of detail I get better quality ??
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    no not exactly the detail you get rid of is useless detail to begin with ie black background in movie credits or any other detail that you otherwise wouldnt really be concerned with or wouldnt pay attention to or notice, then giving the video better quality on higher detailed areas. I'm no expert as matrices are very confusing, but that is kind of the quick easy to understand of what they help do.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so I have a movie with some black background that is 'light' and 'dark' black (while it should be egally black) and after I use one of those matrices I should end up with a nice black background. That's good, very good. I just have to watch the bitrate then. Do you also have a simple explanation about the difference between Intra and NonIntra ? Can both 'happen' in one movie ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No not exactly they dont change the colors, so if you have a black backgroud thats light black and dark black in spots it'll come out the same way, it kind of gets rid of those spots in the movies I just used black as an example and ads better quality to the higher detailed areas water, fire, explosions. And as for Intra and Nonintra both happen in all movie encodes, as for an explanation try these links
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=610015#post610015 and http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=318172#post318172
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant, the black is good in the original movie, but not in the output. Anyway, thanks for the info and the links.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ah ok got it, what type of movie is it your doing? Xvid, Divx, MPG. The best results I've found are usually with Xvid or Divx(avis) and probably the only need you'll need them for, since your in Ireland I imagine your DVD player plays PAL and NTSC so no conversion would be necessary so the results would be the same as the originals, but with xvid or divx it would maintain a higher quality using the matrices. Just keep in mind if putting one xvid or divx file on a disc use a high bit matrice 4000 plus
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hey All,

Loving SVCD2DVD and it's even better with DVD Shrink I tried a tonne of encoders and SVCD2DVD is so simple and yet gives great results!!

Now on to the questions....

1) Bitrate is mentioned in relation to these custom matrices....to be sure this is the "Total Bitrate" that SVCD2DVD reports for it's assets?

2) I do some PAL to NTSC conversion....and it looks like it's either best to not use custom matrices for this? or use a lower bitrate matix (someone mentioned around 2500)?

3) If I'm re-encoding mostly AVIs (DivX or XVid), which matrix is reccommended?

Thanks in advance
    Quote Quote  
  12. most avis are 4000+, so try the Fox Video hi rez one as a starter
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by CBC
    most avis are 4000+, so try the Fox Video hi rez one as a starter
    hmmm...mine are showing "Total Bitrate" as around 1000-1100 Kbps (in SVCD2DVD and AVI Codec) unless I'm looking at the wrong bitrate?

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  14. I'm not too well versed in the bitrate stuff, to be honest. =)
    Read above what somnus wrote about it.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by CBC
    I'm not too well versed in the bitrate stuff, to be honest. =)
    Read above what somnus wrote about it.
    hehe...no worries....I'll wait until the brighter bulbs than us show up with some clarity

Cheers
    Quote Quote  

16. lol..well I generally always use the hirez bitrates when doing single file avi to DVD conversions & they've always come out great, if that is any guide.
    But yeah, ..I'll go back & sit in my chair now :P
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The bitrate in question is the mpeg bitrate that your avi's are encoded to. So for avi material when the combined duration is less than 2 hours the encoded bitrate will be around 3000-4000kbs
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry about that last post - a little rushed.

What i meant to say was that for avi material:

As stated elsewhere in this forum (talking about 45 minute avi episodes):

(ignoring audio & muxing overhead) for a DVD-5:

1 Episode (45mins) - would not fill a DVD
    2 Eps (1h 30m) - would fill a DVD5 @ with a Video bitrate of approx 7000kbs
    3 Eps (2h 15m) - would fill a DVD5 @ with a Video bitrate of approx 4600kbs
    4 Eps (3h) - would fill a DVD5 @ with a Video bitrate of approx 3500kbs
    5 Eps (3h 45m) - would fill a DVD5 @ with a Video bitrate of approx 2800kbs
    So unless your combined avi material is over 3 hours you should be going for a high bitrate matrix. The bitrate of your avi's is not important - the duration is.

As for SVCD PAL->NTSC conversions: this is done at the bitrate of the source, which for SVCD is "low" bitrate. And so a low bitrate matrix would be recommended.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thanks ChrissyBoy...that makes more sense

So it's the target bitrate we are talking about...and the best matix to use is simply the highest possible bitrate that allows you to fit the length you are trying to fit on a DVD5.

Of course as soon as DVD9 discs are cheaper that $20 for 3 I'll be swicthing to DVD9 and then we're talkin great quality.

So I'm trying to fit 4 45 min episodes onto a DVD5 now...do you have a preferred matrix for that scenario?

Oh yeah..and any idea what bitrate SVCD2DVD uses in th above situation? I guess it adjusts the bitrate depending on what I'm trying to fit?

Edit: DOH...you are the moderator...and probably the SVCD2DVD author...so I bet you do know the answer

Thanks in advance

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've been gone a bit and havnt noticed anything going on in here untill now, but Chrissyboy sumed it up. If your doing a PAL 2 NTSC conversion just use a low bitrate matrix or one that the total bitrate fits into. As for one to use with 4 45min shows, the bitrate would be 3500k as stated above, so you wouldnt use a 4k+ use something like CCE's Medium High.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thanks Somnus,

I'm sure you're a bit biased as you coughed up the matrices in the first place, but....

I'm getting great quality using SVCD2DVD and whatever is uses for matrices.....do you see an improvement using the matrices you provided?

I'm playing these on an old JVC 27" CRT TV and they look great...very few artifacts. On my computer monitor I can of course see more artifacts due to the higher re of the monitor. I got a chance to see one of my DVDs on a huge Sony widescreen last night and they look every bit as good as they do on my crappy TV.

So I'm sure that as TVs get better my DVDs will start to not look as good on them, but for now I seem to be good to go.

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Nah not biased, I use the internal low bitrate alot also in svcd2dvd usually for PAL2NTSC coversion it does what I need it to do and using anyother low bitrate matrice while it may also be really good just isnt going to improve the quality enough for me to bother with. The matrices I supplied you would generally use for Divx/Xvid encodes thats what they really help on. And since you have a crt tv they're going to look fine on that ( I have one also) but there is a BIG noticable difference on high def tv's you can see everything.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks for the clarification..looks like I'm doing the right thing (or at least until I get a High Def TV).

I was surprised to see how good they DVDs I produced came out on that Sont TV I mentioned...pretty sure it was high def too...HDTV ready at the very least.

Of course by the time I have a high def TV, blank DVD9 discs will be cheap enough I'll just stick 4-5 eps on a DVD9 at high bitrate instead of the same number on a DVD5 at half the bitrate

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bitrates matrices im confused as hell.

I use the buck basic program - should I not?
    Quote Quote