VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Ok here the Thing: I Record Streaming Videos with Capturing Software & I have some Videos that are too big in File Size. I have the Video Quality Setting on the Capture Software set to the Original Video's Quality but it seems to Record each Video with a Higher Bitrate for Video & Audio for some reason. Is there anyway that I can make the Videos Smaller in Size while still keeping the Same Video & Audio Quality.

Like for instance I think the Original Video Bitrate is like 2000 & Audio Bitrate is 100 & after I record the Video it is like 2 or 3 times that Bitrate. So is there anyway that I can Compress these Videos down to there Smallest Size Possible so I want be Wasting Space So I can Actually get it to the Actual Video & Audio Bitrate.

Like for Instance I used an Audio Software to Compress the Audio in the Video & it said that my Audio Bitrate was 100 & I had the Video Capturing Software set to 192. So after I used the Software on one of my Videos I gained about 80 mb in Size because the Audio was Not Actually 192 but Actually 100. Could I do that for my Videos for the Video Quality?

It's Tough To Explain to anybody.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well it would help if you stated the software.

It may be the case that you record at original bitrate but the software then converts after completion with a different bitrate. I know of a few that do this so I simply turn off the converting process.

And, generally speaking you can not retain the same quality by decreasing the bitrate, which ultimately controls the file size, although a change of codec could assist. But it may visually look fine to you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I use FFsplit to Record all Streaming Videos in 1080p with these Settings:

H.264, 1920x1080, 30fps, 10,000, VBR, Quality Balance 10 out of 10, 192 mp3, Ultrafast, MP4.

I have to set a 200 millisecond delay for the Audio to Match People's Mouth Movements.

The Original Video that I Record from is like 1.5 - 2 GB Total & after I Record it with FFsplit it is like 4 - 6 GB.

The Video Quality is like 90% match of the Original Video which is Excellent in my Opinion but I would just Love to get a Smaller File because I am running out of Room on my External Hard Drive.

The Original Video is like 2,000 - 2,500 Video Bitrate & FFsplit Records it as 4,000 - 6,000 Video Bitrate.

Just let me know what I can do to make the Recordings Smaller In Size if anyway Possible. Thanks so much. Really Appreciate any Help.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I already stated, if the final video is larger than the original the capturing software has done some conversion.

I am not familiar with FFSplit and neither do I wish to be.

I would try other software. If it is not live then programs such as tvdownloader will grab it and not alter it. Paid-for programs such as Jaksta and TubeDigger could also grab the original and both have an option to convert the recorded stream to a different format/bitrate. Another is IDM (Internet Download Manager) which makes to alteration to the original (all come with a free trial)

Your program is free and 'free' often comes with an added 'cost'.
    Quote Quote  
  5. As was pointed out file size is determined by two things: bitrate and running time (plus a little overhead for the container and anything else you might put in the file, like subtitles -- but those things are usually very small compared to the video and audio). Running time is fixed by the source you are capturing, so the only way to get a smaller file is to reduce the bitrate. If you want a file the same size as your source set the bitrate to the same as that of your source, 2500 or thereabouts.

"ff?" + "h.264" + "ultrafast" indicates you are using x264. as the h.264 encoder. Use a slower preset, as slow as you can get away with. Try veryfast as a start.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I just set the Encode Present to DEFAULT & NOT SUPERFAST & that Fixed it. It now Records Videos in their Original Video Bitrate. The Videos are now Half their Size that they were. That's a HUGE Adjustment. Thanks for the Help jagabo!
    Quote Quote  
  7. But do you really need to re-compress the original video ? Couldn't you record the stream as-is ?

@DB83
    Your program is free and 'free' often comes with an added 'cost'.
    Well, this is quite wrong as a general statement, especially when it comes to video conversion software. Commercial ones tend to be bloated and offer limited control over the end result, while many free options allow to tweak and fine-tune everything, even though it does take some learning before the more austere graphic or command line interface can be used efficiently.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was having a similar issue some time ago. So, seeing your advice here could also work for me, thanks. I’m working on editing this commercial right now, so I always find myself having some kind of technical issue. These forums always help me. I actually switched to a different editing platform, which I hope will be more user-friendly. One time, I got to edit a video I took in such a beautiful location, found it on aperfectspace.com by the way. So, that time I had some interesting shots, very advanced to be honest, and those definitely require more time editing. I googled so many technical inquiries that time, but in the end, everything turned you fine.
    Last edited by Anvery; 14th Mar 2021 at 06:13.
    Quote Quote