VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    SAN FRANCISCO — Toshiba Corp. is taking a substantial loss on sales of its new HD DVD player in hopes of buying a head start in the battle for the next generation of DVD technology, according to a "teardown" analysis conducted by market research firm iSuppli Corp.

According to iSuppli's teardown analysis, bill-of-materials (BOM) costs for Toshiba's HD-A1 HD DVD total an estimated $674, far exceeding the unit's $499 U.S. retail price. The estimated BOM figure excludes costs for manufacturing, testing, cables, remote control and packaging—costs that could easily push the total cost of each unit to more than $700, iSuppli (El Segundo, Calif.) said.

http://www.eet.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=189600999
    Quote Quote  
  2. Never mind when it comes to the UK they will charge £700-£800 (aprox $1500) we pay about 10% more than most of europe and between 10% - 200% more than the USA for electronic goods because our government actively encourages manufacturers to rip us off because they make alot more in taxes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    More than 50% is for silicon. The cost for this portion will come down fast. Optical drive too. By shifting production to a third world country will cut production cost further. I am surprise that the cost estimate for mechanical is that high. It should not be as complicated as a VCR. The only portion that will not come down is royalty payment. That is why they fought so hard for market adoption.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    on avrevolution, they say that best buy is getting a lot of returns.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd bet a good chunk are because their old DVDs don't seem to look any better ( or more hi-def) on the new player. Go figure.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Trouble is that blu ray and hd dvd look like technology trying to find a market instead of filling customers needs.
    Except us wonderful Early Adopters of course
    Quote Quote