VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am having a really strange issue.

We videotape our church services and burn them onto a DVD. I then have been taking these DVD's home and ripping them so that I can edit them and put them online. It has been working well until the past few weeks. We had to buy a Toshiba DVD burner. For some reason now when I bring the disks home, I am only able to rip the first 5-25 seconds of each .vob file on the disks.

I am thinking it is something with my computer. Here are the strange situations....
    1. I can stick the disk into a DVD player or my computer's DVD Player and watch the church service in it's entirety (appx 70 minutes).
    2. If I go into explorer on my PC, it says I have only .99 mb on each file and shows the time as 5-25 seconds.
    3. I can stick it in my Mac pull the files onto a jump drive and they pull the entire 1.xx GB off, but once the jump drive is on my computer it shows up as .99 mb.
    4. Other computers can rip them no problem.
    5. I can still rip files from our old burner at full length with no problem.
    This is starting to really irritate me. It has to be something with my system (Windows 7) and the way it is reading the file. Has anyone ever experienced this?

Thanks

Randy
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try copy the dvd with a ripper like dvd decrypter or dvdfab decrypter. It might work better even if the dvds aren't copy protected.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Baldrick - these are homemade DVDs so they can't be copy protected.

traylor1 - There's nothing in Win 7, either 32 or 64 bit, to prevent correct ripping. You should tell us more about what program you using for ripping and how you are using it. Since your DVDs aren't copy protected there's no reason to not use DVD Decrypter on them for ripping.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    But it might work better than using the explorer file copy on some home burned dvdrs.

Have you tried copy/rip from some commercial dvds? Same problem?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Baldrick - these are homemade DVDs so they can't be copy protected.
    Baldrick was trying to say that DVDDecrypter might work better "since" these DVDs are not copy protected.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try copy the dvd with a ripper like dvd decrypter or dvdfab decrypter. It might work better even if the dvds aren't copy protected.
    Already tried both of these with the same results.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search PM
    traylor1 - There's nothing in Win 7, either 32 or 64 bit, to prevent correct ripping. You should tell us more about what program you using for ripping and how you are using it. Since your DVDs aren't copy protected there's no reason to not use DVD Decrypter on them for ripping.
    Normally I use Leawo, but have been trying a number of different programs in addition including DVD Drecrypter, DVD Fab and even Handbrake.

Basically I use it to rip and convert to an MP4 so that i can edit it in Sony Vegas.
    Last edited by traylor1; 25th Oct 2012 at 12:30.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    But it might work better than using the explorer file copy on some home burned dvdrs.

Have you tried copy/rip from some commercial dvds? Same problem?
    It is only with these DVD's that have been made with this new burner we have, and it only seems to appear on my computer which I use to do my editing with.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Put the DVD in a Mac. Let it mount. Open the Terminal program. Run the following command:
    df -k
    Look at the bottom of the ouptut under the "Mounted on" column. You will see something that starts with /Volumes. You need the full path. For example if you see /Volumes/MY_DVD then you need to use /Volumes/MY_DVD in the next command. Run the command:
    ls -alR VOLUME_NAME
    where VOLUME_NAME is the full /Volumes name you got from df -k earlier. Post everything here so we can see what's on the DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    Put the DVD in a Mac. Let it mount. Open the Terminal program. Run the following command:
    df -k
    Look at the bottom of the ouptut under the "Mounted on" column. You will see something that starts with /Volumes. You need the full path. For example if you see /Volumes/MY_DVD then you need to use /Volumes/MY_DVD in the next command. Run the command:
    ls -alR VOLUME_NAME
    where VOLUME_NAME is the full /Volumes name you got from df -k earlier. Post everything here so we can see what's on the DVD.
    I have to work until 7 tonight, but will post it when I get home!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Forgot I have access to a Mac:

I misread the commands, but I think the last one is correct. However, I could not get it to respond:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 11:58:43 on console
    Welcome to Darwin!
    acms-mini:~ acms$ df -k
    Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
    /dev/disk0s3 78019632 31142360 46621272 40% /
    devfs 97 97 0 100% /dev
    fdesc 1 1 0 100% /dev
    <volfs> 512 512 0 100% /.vol
    automount -nsl [179] 0 0 0 100% /Network
    automount -fstab [183] 0 0 0 100% /automount/Servers
    automount -static [183] 0 0 0 100% /automount/static
    /dev/disk1 2437236 2437236 0 100% /Volumes/DVD Video Recording
    acms-mini:~ acms$ Is -alR /Volumes/DVD Video Recording
    -bash: Is: command not found
    acms-mini:~ acms$ ls -aiR /Volumes/DVD Video Recording
    ls: /Volumes/DVD: No such file or directory
    ls: Recording: No such file or directory
    ls: Video: No such file or directory
    acms-mini:~ acms$ ls -aiR DVD Video Recording
    ls: DVD: No such file or directory
    acms-mini:~ acms$ ls -alR /Volumes/DVD Video Recording
    ls: /Volumes/DVD: No such file or directory
    acms-mini:~ acms$

What did I do incorrectly?
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Mac is based on a Unix variant and Unix doesn't like blank spaces in names. Do this EXACTLY as I write it and it will work. Please cut and paste:

ls -alR /Volumes/DVD\ Video\ Recording

It would seem that your mention of "Toshiba DVD burner" actually means "Toshiba standalone DVD recorder" based on what you posted above. You need to get the terminology right to get the best help. "Burner" to us means a drive in a PC and NOT at all a standalone DVD recorder.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would question your initial work-flow.

You said words to the effect "We had to buy a Toshiba dvd burner". Are you transfering the video camera footage direct to this "Toshiba". Is this what we call a dvd-burner ie one that is in a PC or is it actually a dvd-recorder ie a stand-alone unit ?

I just wonder if it is a disk compatability issue. Your burner uses +R media whereas your PC unit can only read -R media or vice-versa.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    I would question your initial work-flow.

You said words to the effect "We had to buy a Toshiba dvd burner". Are you transfering the video camera footage direct to this "Toshiba". Is this what we call a dvd-burner ie one that is in a PC or is it actually a dvd-recorder ie a stand-alone unit ?

I just wonder if it is a disk compatability issue. Your burner uses +R media whereas your PC unit can only read -R media or vice-versa.
    It is a stand-alone DVD Burner (Toshiba DR430KU) where the video feed is going straight into the burner, being stored on the internal drive and then we burn to the disk. According to the manual it accepts both +R & -R as well as RW's.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search PM
    Mac is based on a Unix variant and Unix doesn't like blank spaces in names. Do this EXACTLY as I write it and it will work. Please cut and paste:

ls -alR /Volumes/DVD\ Video\ Recording

It would seem that your mention of "Toshiba DVD burner" actually means "Toshiba standalone DVD recorder" based on what you posted above. You need to get the terminology right to get the best help. "Burner" to us means a drive in a PC and NOT at all a standalone DVD recorder.
    Here you go:

Last login: Thu Oct 25 12:11:24 on ttyp1
    Welcome to Darwin!
    acms-mini:~ acms$ ls -alR /Volumes/DVD\ Video\ Recording
    total 8
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 acms acms 88 Dec 31 2009 .
    drwxrwxrwt 4 root admin 136 Oct 25 12:18 ..
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 acms acms 456 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS

/Volumes/DVD Video Recording/VIDEO_TS:
    total 4809060
    dr-xr-xr-x 10 acms acms 456 Dec 31 2009 .
    dr-xr-xr-x 3 acms acms 88 Dec 31 2009 ..
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 12288 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS.BUP
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 12288 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS.IFO
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 20480 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS.VOB
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 55296 Dec 31 2009 VTS_01_0.BUP
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 55296 Dec 31 2009 VTS_01_0.IFO
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 1073739776 Dec 31 2009 VTS_01_1.VOB
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 1073739776 Dec 31 2009 VTS_01_2.VOB
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 314599424 Dec 31 2009 VTS_01_3.VOB
    acms-mini:~ acms$
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Are there any other Volumes on this disk?

It looks like a standard dvd-video recording but I also wonder whether you inadvertingly recorded in video-recording mode.

A quick test of that would be to see if the disks play in any player other than the one you recorded it to.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hang on. /DVD Video Recording/ is a higher level. That is NOT a standard dvd-video disk. Check your recorder settings.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search PM
    Hang on. /DVD Video Recording/ is a higher level. That is NOT a standard dvd-video disk. Check your recorder settings.
    For what?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dvd-recorders have two modes of recording - video mode or Video Recording (VR) mode. Only video mode is guaranteed to work in other players and rippers will spit out VR disks.

Quite often a new recorder defaults to VR mode. If your disk will not play on another player then it is a VR disk. And you do appear to have too many folders on that disk for it to be a standard dvd-video disk.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search PM
    dvd-recorders have two modes of recording - video mode or Video Recording (VR) mode. Only video mode is guaranteed to work in other players and rippers will spit out VR disks.

Quite often a new recorder defaults to VR mode. If your disk will not play on another player then it is a VR disk. And you do appear to have too many folders on that disk for it to be a standard dvd-video disk.
    I am not sure if I was not clear. Playing of the DVD's are not a problem on anything, it is just the ripping onto my computer that is causing issues. No other computers are having an issue ripping it. But they are not where I do the editing.

That being said, I agree that there are more files than I have had before we got the new unit.

My only question on the setting though is that all throughout the manual, the only time it talks about switching modes, is when it is talking about using DVD-RW's. Then it talks as if we need to turn it on. We are using DVD-R's. So would we need to change this setting?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry if I missed the earlier points about playback/ripping compatabilty. The main set of files do not suggest anything other than dvd-video and it is possible that some players are ignoring that extra folder. But I have to ask why is it there.

What is the Model No of your dvd-recorder ?
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry if I missed the earlier points about playback/ripping compatabilty. The main set of files do not suggest anything other than dvd-video and it is possible that some players are ignoring that extra folder. But I have to ask why is it there.

What is the Model No of your dvd-recorder ?
    It is a Toshiba DR430KU
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took a quick look at the manual.

Now I understand your comments about -RW disks. You can not change the recording format for a -R disk and that seems to be video mode.

You are finalizing the disk in the unit ?

That extra folder really puzzles me if it really is a folder - I am not at all familiar with Macs. Do you see that folder also with a PC. If you do then this unit, despite its claims, is not producing a fully compatable dvd disk. I am also surprised that other players have no issues with this.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DB83 - What is this extra folder you keep referring to? I don't see it. Either it's a case of me not seeing what is right in front of me (possible) or you are misunderstanding the output he got from the command I told him to run. "DVD Video Recording" is the simply the label of the DVD. That's how Macs do things when they mount DVDs. Just in case that's what you mean.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search PM
    I took a quick look at the manual.

Now I understand your comments about -RW disks. You can not change the recording format for a -R disk and that seems to be video mode.

You are finalizing the disk in the unit ?

That extra folder really puzzles me if it really is a folder - I am not at all familiar with Macs. Do you see that folder also with a PC. If you do then this unit, despite its claims, is not producing a fully compatable dvd disk. I am also surprised that other players have no issues with this.
    The disk is being finalized in the unit itself.

The extra folder does show up with a PC. On our previous unit, these folders did not show up(of course names varied):
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 12288 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS.BUP
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 12288 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS.IFO
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 acms acms 20480 Dec 31 2009 VIDEO_TS.VOB
    It was only the 5 folders listed below it.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search PM
    DB83 - What is this extra folder you keep referring to? I don't see it. Either it's a case of me not seeing what is right in front of me (possible) or you are misunderstanding the output he got from the command I told him to run. "DVD Video Recording" is the simply the label of the DVD. That's how Macs do things when they mount DVDs. Just in case that's what you mean.
    When I get home tonight I will take a couple of screen captures, one that has the files from the previous unit and a shot of how the files look as well for me using the current unit. Both on my Windows 7 Machine.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    traylor1 - Yes, do take a shot on Win 7 and post it.

Again, your lack of technical knowledge is really not helping here. The "folders" you talk about are FILES. They are NOT folders. And they all look normal.

I am beginning to wonder if your Win 7 PC is screwed up. Can you rip any DVDs at all correctly on that PC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said, it could be me mis-understanding the output from a Mac where, as you say, the disk label appears like a higher level folder.

But if the PC report just shows one folder ie video_ts there is no logical reason why this disk can not be ripped in any PC whatever the OS
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search PM
    traylor1 - Yes, do take a shot on Win 7 and post it.

Again, your lack of technical knowledge is really not helping here. The "folders" you talk about are FILES. They are NOT folders. And they all look normal.

I am beginning to wonder if your Win 7 PC is screwed up. Can you rip any DVDs at all correctly on that PC?
    OK, I appreciate the help and all, but your making me sound like I am an idiot in this post. Your telling me that I have a lack of technical knowledge, is taken as if I have no technical knowledge at all.

I actually am a Technology Teacher and I am trying to squeeze these e-mails in during the few short minutes I have between Parent Teacher conferences, so in my rush, yes I am probably making typos and I apologize. I understand what your saying, and exactly what you mean, but the way you worded it was pretty rude. Instead of saying I have a lack of Technical Knowledge, just ask me to clarify. That is all that is needed.

Now then, that's out of the way I will post the shot of the FILES tonight. I can rip DVD's perfectly from any other machine. It is only this Toshiba unit that is causing the headaches. I would not be surprised if there is something not right with my Windows 7 image itself, as I do not have these issues with my other computers I work with.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Taylor, you need to understand some history of what kind of posts we get here regularly.
    Some want help and yet don't give enough info and then when asked for more info, get an attitude.
    Some on purpose withhold information that could be helpful in finding out what's going on for what reason is anyone's guess.
    So, don't get defensive and try to provide info when it is asked.
    Don't read more in someone's reply than what is there.
    Quote Quote