VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    on Linux (Xubuntu 18.04) i cannot find a way to do this with mplayer and ffplay. so i am looking for a way or a new player that can do this. i would like to play a video at high speed smoothly like playing every 20th frame or so without the delay of converting the file. what i do right now is hold down the right arrow key which skips forward about 10 seconds. but that makes the view rather choppy. does anyone know a better way? i have thousands of video files to review.
    Quote Quote  
  2. VLC:
    + faster (1.5x, 2x, 3x, 4x, 8x, 16x, 32x...)
    - slower
    = 1x
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    + is not making it go any faster and - is not making it go any slower. it is playing some radio on a video with no audio. i hope i can disable that. this is a .webm video file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. + on the numeric keypad. You can configure it to use whatever keys you want.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm going to preface this by: why are you still using mplayer? It's become a bug fest in recent years and all of the Linux GUI front ends for player I know of (like smplayer and gnome-mplayer) dropped it for mpv. Gnome-mplayer is now gnome-mpv. It's much better.

In mpv you use the [ and ] keys to decrease/increase speed by 10%.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    because i tend to not change much as long as things work. what if i started a thread with "i need to select a new video player"? this is an opportunity with your input.

a 10% increase would need 32 clicks to reach 21.11x. that would take a lot of time. i installed mpv, anyway. i found in the man page that { and } will do half/double speed. it is jumpy even at 2x. maybe it tried to increase the frame rate and it thinks my system can't decode/display it that fast. vlc does up to 16x smoother but craps out at 32x probably because it tries to uncompress every frame (only need to uncompress a gop up to the last frame to be shown). i might use vlc if i can add 'q' to do quit, else it looks like i'll go with mpv.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You're not getting the complexity involved in smooth, higher speed, multiple GOP decoding.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    You're not getting the complexity involved in smooth, higher speed, multiple GOP decoding.

Scott
    and you know more about this, good.

1. if everything is decoded, then it is just a matter of your CPU or CPUs (if the decoding can be spread out) being fast enough?

2. if frame numbers are in the container and the video does not need to be decoded to get frame numbers, it can be determined if the next frame is in the next GoP?

3. if you have partly decoded a GoP to get the frame you just output and the next frame is beyond this GoP, you can skip the remainder of the GoP?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i found what i wanted:
    Code:
    mpv --sstep=3 --volume=0 "$videofilename"
    and it is reasonably smooth.
    Quote Quote