VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Here's my problem:
    I found one stream, that i would like to save it on my comp. And i did. Found direct download link and downloaded it with the JDownloader. Downloaded like a charm, but video was corrupted and completely out of syncronization. And i'm talking about few minutes (not seconds) audio delay. Tried to repair this video with avidemux, but it is to badly corrupted.
    But then i pasted download link into VLC player and play it.....video was still corrupted, but at least audio/video synchonization was OK. Then i tried to download the stream with VLC (with and without) conversion and result was the same as directly downloaded video. Few minutes audio delay.
    Then i was thinking.....what if i play video with VLC and capture player's window. I presume, this should be OK then. Right?
    Then i installed free_cam software. I manage to capture player's window, but produced video had only 15 frames/ secon, which is not enough.
    The same was with ScreenRec software.
    I deinstalled them both.

Could you guys please recommend software to do the job?

Here are demands:

-free, because i use that kind of software maybe few times /year
    -1 hour of downloading
    -Output video must be at least 1280x720 pixels and not less than 25 frames/second.
    -It would be also nice if i can set output video codecs, for example: MP4 format, H264, 4000kbps
    -I don't need any video editing accessories and similar junk, that is usually included in these programs, just pure and plain screen recording and that's it.

I did my homework and found list of software here:
    https://www.videohelp.com/software/sections/desktop-screen-capture

but i can't install and deinstall all of them.

Which one then?

Thx in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by voayer View Post
    Then i was thinking.....what if i play video with VLC and capture player's window.

Thx in advance
    VLC has a RECORD function.

By default, the recording button does not appear in the VLC interface. To add the recording button to the interface, open VLC's "View" menu and click "Advanced Controls." The recording button appears on the lower portion of the VLC program interface, between the "Play" button and the time slider. The recording button stays enabled until you click "Advanced Controls" in the "View" menu again, even if you close and restart the program.

[Attachment 62818 - Click to enlarge]

If not I would recommend OBS - I use it daily - not easy for a beginner to setup though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ignorant user.
    Last edited by [ss]vegeta; 9th Jan 2022 at 15:04.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by codehound View Post
    Originally Posted by voayer View Post
    Then i was thinking.....what if i play video with VLC and capture player's window.

Thx in advance
    VLC has a RECORD function.

By default, the recording button does not appear in the VLC interface. To add the recording button to the interface, open VLC's "View" menu and click "Advanced Controls." The recording button appears on the lower portion of the VLC program interface, between the "Play" button and the time slider. The recording button stays enabled until you click "Advanced Controls" in the "View" menu again, even if you close and restart the program.

[Attachment 62818 - Click to enlarge]

If not I would recommend OBS - I use it daily - not easy for a beginner to setup though.
    Thx for the advice, but what exactly this "record" button do? I followed these instruction:
    https://confluence.bethel.edu/display/ITSKB/Recording+a+Network+Stream+with+VLC+Player

set destination folder, set streaming link, press "record" button and......nothing happens. I noticed i wasn't asked for the name of the file.
    Quote Quote  
  5. why not use streamlink or ffmpeg to rip your streaming?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thx for the advice, but what exactly this "record" button do? I followed these instruction:
    https://confluence.bethel.edu/display/ITSKB/Recording+a+Network+Stream+with+VLC+Player

set destination folder, set streaming link, press "record" button and......nothing happens. I noticed i wasn't asked for the name of the file.
    What does it do ? Have a guess ? It records the stream into the C:\Users\your-user-name\Videos directory unless you change it. It default names it with the date/time.

vlc-record-2021-07-27-20h12m39s-Channel-name (East Server).ts

You can rename the file afterwards.

You will see the red button indented if its recording - click it again to halt it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by codehound View Post

What does it do ? Have a guess ? It records the stream into the C:\Users\your-user-name\Videos directory unless you change it. It default names it with the date/time.

vlc-record-2021-07-27-20h12m39s-Channel-name (East Server).ts

You can rename the file afterwards.

You will see the red button indented if its recording - click it again to halt it.
    Thx for your generous help! Appreciated.
    Somehow i manage to record the stream the way you said, but unfortunately result is the same as my first attempt with JDownloader. No audio - video synchonization. When i was watching video in VLC player, sinchro was OK, but downloaded video....not so much. Guess internet connection during live stream was interrupted and maybe sound was transferred and video not. And maybe VLC knows how to deal with this issue by playing, but not by recording.
    Guess seems to be no other way than to capture the player's window.
    OBS you said?
    You said you use it all the time. Is this software able to record one hour show? Can you set output video's parameters (bitrate, framerate, codec's, etc)?
    Do you have wattermark in produced video?
    Last edited by voayer; 9th Jan 2022 at 13:52.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Sometimes I leave it running all night due to different timezones.

No watermarks - its opensource software
    Quote Quote