VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I tried Handbrake, but I can't get it to rip a complete DVD. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I even rip in iPod Lo-res. I wanted to know if there was a different (i.e better) program out there to use. I have tons of DVD's I'll never watch unless I put them on the ipod.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Personally I think it is best to rip the DVD to your HDD first, extract just the parts you are going to convert, then encode those parts. Xvid4PSP is a high quality encoder once you have your titles sorted.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I have tried Xvid4PSP, Videora and the other most highly recommended apps on this forum, only to scratch my head in total bafflement where to even begin with them. The codec konfusion and framework follies were enough to make my head spin. Not even the tutorials here helped, I just don't "get" how most of these non-integrated ripping apps for iPod and PSP work. They're "free", but complicated.

The only conversion software I have used that I understood immediately and that gives me good results are Handbrake and CloneDVDMobile. Neither insists on the additional codec packs or framework upgrades that can destabilize Windows and other apps. Handbrake is free, available on both Windows and Mac, and is especially useful for its accuracy with lipsync when converting multi-episode commercial "TV on DVD" material. The one gotcha with Handbrake is you need to change its default conversion preference in the slide-out right hand pane: if you don't change this before converting, the app defaults to some goofy generic profile that does not work with iPods. Merely selecting it from the format pane does not work: you have to go into the preferences menu and change the default to "iPod Hi Res" or "PSP" or whatever your device is, otherwise the generic default over-rides your choice. Handbrake can be very slow, sometimes running at 175% of the original program time, but it works quite well. I especially like the way the title names I enter "stick" when Handbrake MP4s are imported into iTunes, which has a damned annoying tendency to change title names to gibberish during import. If you are having trouble getting your complete DVD movie converted even after changing the default output profile, your problem might simply be that Handbrake has not updated its decryption engine in quite awhile and does not intend to. Handbrake can decrypt many commercial discs on its own, but some newer ones choke it. In such cases you would need a supplemental decryption engine like AnyDVD or DVDFab running in the background.

Much as I like the results from Handbrake, I don't always have the time to wait for it. So I also bought CloneDVDMobile from SlySoft, in a package deal a couple years ago with CloneDVD/AnyDVD. The current drop in the dollar exchange rate has made SlySoft products rather more expensive than they were, so you need to weigh the value of your time and how many conversions you expect to do against the current purchase price. The advantage of the CloneDVDMobile/AnyDVD combo is awesome ease of use and blinding speed: it will rip and convert a two hour movie in about 22mins, using my beater Windows XP box from 2004 with Pioneer 111 burner. The software price includes free lifetime updates, which SlySoft issues any time a new rip protection appears. The only real drawback (aside from price) is that CloneDVDMobile occasionally screws up the lipsync, primarily with certain types of multi-episode TV discs. I've rarely encountered this with movies but it does occur. It isn't horrible, and 50% of the time its undetectable unless you're looking for it, but it is an issue. SlySoft allows a fully-operational 30 day free trial of all its products, I recommend anyone with a lot of discs to convert at least try that: you can get a lot done in 30 days, even if you postpone or decide against buying after the free trial expires.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Jabroni4872
    I tried Handbrake, but I can't get it to rip a complete DVD. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I even rip in iPod Lo-res. I wanted to know if there was a different (i.e better) program out there to use. I have tons of DVD's I'll never watch unless I put them on the ipod.

Any help/suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Mark
    Videora

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/
    Quote Quote