VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I would like to backup my opera DVDs to DVD5. What's the problem?
    Well, I use DVD Rebuilder with CCE as encoder and that means I will reduce the size of the video part, leaving audio as it is, but opera DVDs use LPCM as audio, so audio takes a very big chunk of the DVD5 and the video needs a very big compression with a bad quality.
    I want to keep menus and subtitles on my backups.
    I tried TMPGEnc to encode video and audio and PGCdemux to obtain the cell.txt file and subtitles (.sup files), but DVDLab doesn't recognize this type of subs file.
    I have many DVDs to backup, so I would like some straightforward way to do so.
    Can you help me?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why are you using tmpgenc+pgcdemx+dvdlab if dvdrebuilder does the same thing??

All i can think of is to convert the audio to ac3 at a high bitrate, or purchase dvdrebuilder pro and you can increase main movie video bitrate by compressing the menus on the DVD, if you only have 2 or 3 static menus dont bother using dvdrebuilder pro.

My advice would be either compress audio to ac3 or use DVD9
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by ChessPlayer
    I tried TMPGEnc to encode video and audio and PGCdemux to obtain the cell.txt file and subtitles (.sup files), but DVDLab doesn't recognize this type of subs file.
    You can try to rename the subtitle file extensions to sp1.
    If it are standard dvd subtitle streams DVDLab will recognize them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Best way - drop LPCM audio and use AC3 instead. But that's not what you want to hear.

LPCM uses a LOT of space. If your opera is 2 hours long, I'd make a rough guess that 25% of your DVD-5 will be for the LPCM audio alone.

CCE is a better encoder by far than TMPGenc, so if you don't like what DVD Rebuilder gave you using CCE, using TMPGenc won't make it better. TMPGenc is prone to macroblocks on scene changes, even at high bit rates.

I'm sorry, but the reality is that if you must backup a DVD-9 to DVD-5 and keep LPCM audio then you are correct in saying that "the video needs a very big compression" and there is nothing you can do to avoid this.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here's how I would do it, but this is by no means the only way.
    1. Rip each opera DVD to hard drive using DVDFabHDDecrypter.
    2. Demux video, audio, and subtitle streams using either PgcDemux or the MPEG Tools function of TMPGEnc.
    3. Reencode the PCM audio track to AC3 using Aften with the Wav-to-AC3 front end. (Since it is opera, encode to a very high bitrate; no less than 192.) Make sure it is CBR, not VBR; otherwise you may loose synchronization of picture and sound. The resulting AC3 audio file will be much smaller than the PCM.
    4. Look at the combined size of the m2v video stream of the opera, the encoded ac3 audio file, and the subtitle file to see if they will fit on a DVD-5. If so, mux them all together using GUIforDVDAuthor. If too big for a DVD-5, there are other options: Reencode the m2v video stream with TMPGEnc or take the whole remuxed movie (finished with GfD) and run it under DVDShrink.
    5. Burn the final VIDEO_TS folder to DVD disc using ImgBurn.

All of the software mentioned is freeware (except my TMPGEnc Plus software). You may want to try it this way before spending money on other tools.

That's how I have backed up my concert DVDs. It has worked very well for me. I'm sure others can offer different advice. You will have to see what works best for you.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by ricardouk
    Why are you using tmpgenc+pgcdemx+dvdlab if dvdrebuilder does the same thing??
    Well, with TMPGenc I'm able to compress audio (to ac3 224) and video at the same time, but DVD Rebuilder only compresses video. It will be a very good thing if DVD Rebuilder could compress audio. I know even DVD Rebuilder Pro cannot compress audio
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest a modification of filmboss80's method.

Encode to AC3 using some method. Use a bit rate of 320 or higher (not higher than 448 though). AC3 doesn't use VBR, so no worries there.

Follow this guide:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/topic338721.html
    and replace the LPCM audio with your AC3 file. Yes, this guide is for adding subtitles, but you can follow the muxman steps to replace your audio file.
    You should end up with a new DVD on your hard drive with the original menus, subs, video but the new AC3 file. Now feed that into DVD Rebuilder and it will do much less shrinking of the video since the audio is now in AC3 format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i was under the impression dvdrebuilder would compress LPCM audio tracks, theres a tool called DvdrEasy, it hasnt been updated in a while but it recompresses both video an audio but doesnt convert a whole disc just main movie.
    I love it when a plan comes together!
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'd do it exactly as jman98 suggested. If you're shrinking to a DVD5 the first thing to go has to be the large LPCM audio.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you all!
    I've been able to do my first backup following your instructions:

1. Demux with PGCdemux
    2. Convert LPCM to AC3 with ffmpeggui
    3. Remux with Muxman
    4. Replace the VTS with the new one with VobBlanker
    5. Apply (if needed, this time was not) DVDRebuilder.

And now I have a perfect DVD5 with L'Elisir d'Amore!
    Thank you again
    Quote Quote