VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hello,

I am writing to you because I work a lot on Adobe Premiere on my desktop PC but each edit takes too much time (the preview is unbearable ).
    and the generation of an mp4 is 15x slower with this PC than with my Dell laptop.

For example, here below are the 2 PCs that I use with Premiere, and of course, with the Laptop, the edits are super fluid.

Do you know what I can do to radically change something on my desktop PC ? (apart from buying a new motherboard + proc) ?
    Would buying just a graphics card could help ?

Desktop PC:
    Core i7 3770K - 3.50 GHz - 3.90 GHz
    Cache : 8 MO, Cores nb : 4, Threads nb : 8
    RAM : 32 Go
    Integrated graphical card: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Laptop Dell:
    Core i7 8850H - 2.60 GHz - 2.59 GHz
    Cache : 9 MO, Cores nb : 6, Threads nb : 12
    RAM : 16 Go
    Integrated graphical card: Intel UHD Graphics 630 - NVIDIA Quadro P600
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to update your pc,it's over 10 years old now,nothing else will help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  3. A graphics card would definitely help. (Nvidia 20 series or higher.) So would more RAM.

Whether it would help enough depends on what kind of footage you are using and how complicated your sequences are.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Are you using Intraframe digital intermediates as your working files?

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for your replies.

Yes Johns0, it an old PC but i'm sure there is an intermediate acceptable solution

For the RAM I thought 32 Go was confortable,
    For the graphics cards, does an old generation ones like Geforce GT1030 2GB or Nvidia GeForce GT730 2 GB, might be an acceptable choice ? (Nvidia 20 series are more expensive)

Smrpix, to reply to your question, no, I don't do any complicated stuff, and not a a lot effects.

Scott, no, I'm not using Intraframe digital intermediates...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You should be. This will improve your speed/fluidity.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    A new computer with 8 core 16 threads and a graphics card such as a 3060ti will give you way better speed then just a single video card.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Cornucopia, thank you for you advice.
    How this works? (but I can watch over the Web because I never heard about it ☺️)

On the other hand, does this solution would be consistent, when I work on very short projects? (short time duration : 30 seconds, and short in term of lifetime)

My video projects are for little video clips, and I create a new project once a week (the previous projects are not used any longer after this)
    Quote Quote  
  9. Johns0, I'm sure you're right and it has been a long time, I'm considering that solution, but a new motherboard + proc + ram + graphics card... Cost a lot of money.

And when I decide to buy a new config, I used to choose a very powerful and evolutive one.

But today, unfortunately I can't afford it 😢

It's why I'm looking for an intermediate solution.
    I have released 40 video clips the 3 last months, so it works (I'm not fully blocked😁 ) but I'm just looking some comfort tips 😀
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by cedico View Post
    Thank you for your replies.

Yes Johns0, it an old PC but i'm sure there is an intermediate acceptable solution

For the RAM I thought 32 Go was confortable,
    For the graphics cards, does an old generation ones like Geforce GT1030 2GB or Nvidia GeForce GT730 2 GB, might be an acceptable choice ? (Nvidia 20 series are more expensive)

Smrpix, to reply to your question, no, I don't do any complicated stuff, and not a a lot effects.

Scott, no, I'm not using Intraframe digital intermediates...
    You would need a card that supports NVENC. The ones you mentioned don't support it. The least expensive would be the GT 1050 or GT1650 and all newer 20xx, 30xx and 40xx.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Thanks a lot Moody_Blues, it is a very good information, I didn't know the NVENC imperative need
    Quote Quote  
  12. A friend of mine has suggested me about to take a RTX card. He showed me this one :
    ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX 2060 OC EVO Edition, or the 3060 one
    https://amzn.eu/d/1DLeQOY
    https://amzn.eu/d/7QuTH8D

Would it be ok for my needs ? (if it supports NVENC ?)
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by cedico View Post
    A friend of mine has suggested me about to take a RTX card. He showed me this one :
    ASUS DUAL GeForce RTX 2060 OC EVO Edition, or the 3060 one
    https://amzn.eu/d/1DLeQOY
    https://amzn.eu/d/7QuTH8D

Would it be ok for my needs ? (if it supports NVENC ?)
    Those cards would be fine. They are 20 series or better.

I also fully endorse Conucopia's suggestion of using i-frame media. It's easy enough to generate within Premiere as part of the proxy process. There are many tutorials explaining how to do that and it works very well on horizontal material. Vertical proxies seem to remain less than ideal for now -- although vertical timelines work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Thank you for the i-frame media solution. I've tried it with Proxy and it accelerates the editing, it is now a lot more fluid.

But when the proxy is set, I can not export any video anymore (it takes 3 hours), and I can go back even if I deactivate the proxy status.
    The only solution that works, is to reuse an old Premiere project for which the Proxy was not activated.

Did I missed something ?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by cedico View Post
    Thank you for the i-frame media solution. I've tried it with Proxy and it accelerates the editing, it is now a lot more fluid.

But when the proxy is set, I can not export any video anymore (it takes 3 hours)

Did I missed something ?
    When you export a timeline created with proxies, Premiere's default is to export using the full resolution originals. This is the whole point of proxies -- snappy editing and best-quality output. Yes it will tend to be slow. (Have you installed the NVIDIA card yet? Your posts don't say either way.)

I don't understand what you mean by

Originally Posted by cedico View Post
    The only solution that works, is to reuse an old Premiere project for which the Proxy was not activated.
    Please describe what you are doing in more detail.
    Last edited by smrpix; 4th Jun 2023 at 19:56.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Smrpix, no I did not buy any graphic card, I'm seriously considering the John0 solution, because i have some difficulties on others subjects (with my music for example, when i'm generating audio stuff).
    So i've just tried the Proxy Inter frame code solution to gain a little more fluidity before to order my new materials.

"I've just tried the only solution that works, is to reuse an old Premiere project for which the Proxy was not activated."

I mean that once the Premiere project is set to "proxy" it seems there is nt any way to generate anymore my video in a reasonable time (15 minutes).
    To make the test, I've used my Laptop (my desktop PC is too slow): I've copied my Premiere project on my laptop and when running the encoding is during 3 hours long.
    I've tried to deactivate the Proxy option, tried to delete the proxy folder, restart the laptop, nothing to do, the encoding always is very slow.
    The only solution that works, is to open an old project for which the Proxy was not activated, and to copy the track from the "proxy project" to the "old without proxy project", and in this case, the good speed encoding is back (15 min)

Do you see any explanation ?
    Quote Quote  
  17. It sounds like you're creating your output from the proxies rather than the original sources. That is the most likely explanation for the speedup.

However, that is not what you generally want to do. Proxies are low-resolution, low quality copies of your sources that are intended to make editing snappier. The assumption is that you return to the originals for final output -- which are higher quality and require more intense (slower) processing.

Premiere can assign a lot of this processing to the graphics card, which speeds things up, but you only have the integrated Intel card which can't do that -- which is where this discussion started.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cedico,
    I had a similar situation when editing h.264 MP4 files with my Core i7 6700K 4.00GHz, 16MB, Windows 7 PC. I use Vegas Pro instead of Premiere but scrubbing the Timeline, even with reduced resolution Draft Preview was painful.

I ended up letting Vegas build Proxy files and that worked well getting rid of the timeline scrubbing lag. However, it took a long time to build the Proxies.

I researched, ad nauseam, for a solution and in my case the bottle neck was my hard drive. Even with a SATA SSD, the transfer speed was too slow. The solution was installing an NVMe M.2 with M notch SSD drive.

Luckily, my Gigabyte motherboard had an M.2 slot and was compatible with NVMe drives. I did have to activate some BIOS settings so the Motherboard could access the drive and I had to download an additional driver.

This completely solved my High Definition editing /rendering issues. All the source files are put on the M.2 NVME drive. No more Proxy files. Scrubbing the Timeline can be done at Full Quality. I send the Rendered file(s) to a separate "slow" hard drive.

Here's a link that helped me:
    https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detailweb/a_id/3434/kw/supports%20a%20WD%20Black...0State%20Drive

creakndale
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thank you for your feeback, unfortunately for me, I have old materials so I can't test your solution.
    So I think, I will forget the Proxy and Intra Frame for these days , and will wait for my new Desktop
    Quote Quote  
  20. I realize the OP is on a tight budget, there's no need to spend a lot to get good performance with Adobe Premiere, check out this video of a AMD 3200u with Premiere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS8PMVgINjU

Here's a 3400g with Premiere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqvgFZEMqLo

I would not spend a dime on a discrete graphics card, instead just buy one of the cheaper AMD APU's and a cheap motherboard, try to reuse the 16gb of ram and you should be fine.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the op buys a newer motherboard then he will need to buy newer ram.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hello,

I've finally decided to buy a new config, but I have some others issues.

Now I'm trying to reopen my project with Premiere 2019, I have systematically this exception error, for all mp4 files I try to add to the timeline :
    Error Retrieving Frame **** at time *

I've followed this link, but the solutions does not work for me :
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/premiere-pro-discussions/error-retrieving-frame-at-time/m-p/10390202

I suspect some material issues, because if I reopen the Premiere project on my Laptop, all works fine.

Any idea ?

Here is my new config :

Gigabyte B760 GAMING X AX DDR4
    Proc i5 13500
    Ram : 64 Go
    SSD : 500 Go
    (I will by a graphical card later)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Before buying a new graphic card, please check your power supply spec because a GPU is power hungry.
    I bought Nvidia Asus RTX-3050 few months ago which has 8GB VRAM because my PSU is only 600W. A larger GPU like 12GB would mean an extra expense of replacing the PSU with 750W or better.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thank you for your advice (I will keep it in my mind ), but I think I will not buy a graphic card this year.

My new config should be more than enough to make some little video editing (as I use to do with my previous PC)

I'm more concerning by these new issues
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Have you tried other sotware besides Adobe Premiere? AP requires a lot of resources. Vegas is probably worth checking. They have 30 days free trial.
    Quote Quote  
  26. no, since 15 years I've always used AP, I'm not sure to would like to change now
    Quote Quote  
  27. Thank you for your link, but I had already read it few days ago, but after trying the tips, it did not help me to fix the issue.

Yesterday, I've finally installed Windows 11 (upgrading my previous Windows 10), and it seems to be the right way to fix all my problems
    Quote Quote  
  28. Hi,

Some friends recommended me the RT 6700 XT card, as the best value for money, but specially for gaming.
    They advised me to ask you if for video editing, it is the best too ?

Otherwise they talked me about the 3060 12 Go (but it is not a good value for gaming)

6700 XT
    https://www.rueducommerce.fr/p-rade [...] TgEALw_wcB

3060 12 Go
    https://www.rueducommerce.fr/p-gefo [...] 59EALw_wcB
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As I mentioned before, check your PSU rating. You probably need to replace it.
    Quote Quote